Coin Depth

DeadWeight85

I just got my 705 in yesterday, and I just did a quick little 1 hour hunt last night, but did not turn up anything. I swear there is someone out there in my area that also hunts in this park. Anyway, I have been using my detector here at work and I am getting mostly clad as to what I would expect because its a newer area 1980's. I have gone over our side yard here, and I get a consistent reading of a 32 - 34 on the 705 but it says thats its about 8 inches down. I am slightly hesitant to dig that deep because mostly of the coins I have been finding have been pretty shallow (2"-4"). Now this is a new machine to me and I am still learning so should I just go ahead and dig that deep? I am worried that if I do a hunt on some private property and dig an 8" deep hole someone is going to be like !!! :mad:. So any comments would help out immensely.

* Side-note: Yes I said I was hunting at work.

Also to the people that use the 705 what sensitivity do you run? I can turn mine to max and get no feedback on it so I am just wondering. Also on the threshold I have set to 0. I can turn it up and I don't here a hum so that's why I was wondering.
I am still slightly confused about that setting and just cant seem to grasp that concept yet.

Yes dig that signal. 8in is nothing for the 705 .You will see signals deeper than that with it. I dug a Jefferson half 3 weeks ago between 10-11 in. My thresold is at 7 most of the time.Sensitivity wide open where i can .

I have gone over our side yard here, and I get a consistent reading of a 32 - 34 on the 705 but it says thats its about 8 inches down. I am slightly hesitant to dig that deep because mostly of the coins I have been finding have been pretty shallow (2"-4"). Now this is a new machine to me and I am still learning so should I just go ahead and dig that deep? I am worried that if I do a hunt on some private property and dig an 8" deep hole someone is going to be like !!! :mad:. So any comments would help out immensely.

32-34 could be a silver dime on your machine, if my memory of my 305 is correct. It could also be falsing from a large iron pipe or something. Does it detect very far above the ground? With my DD coil, i do the wiggle from different angles to size a target. You need to do what ever you do with your concentric coil to judge size and depth. I don't have normal soil around here, but in normal soil it is normal to find old coins at 8" deep.

You never know until you dig it.

In a nice lawn you can cut a 5-8" wide plug, dig a 12" hole, place the contents on a towel, recover the coin, pack it all back in, and put the plug back. I wouldn't do this in the nicest spot of their lawn at the beginning of a hunt with them looking. Mark it and go back. Usually the owners go back inside after getting bored watching me for 5 minutes. It would probably be a good idea to bore them finding memorial pennies and nails at first, intentionally.

Also to the people that use the 705 what sensitivity do you run? I can turn mine to max and get no feedback on it so I am just wondering. Also on the threshold I have set to 0. I can turn it up and I don't hear a hum so that's why I was wondering. I am still slightly confused about that setting and just cant seem to grasp that concept yet.

I think zero threshold is too low. Is your volume high enough? Try it a little higher 20-50% of max or 5-15, or so, I am not sure, then turn your volume up until you can hear the threshold. Then verify that scanning a coin doesn't blast your ears. Are you using headphones, that could be the problem too, you need headphones.

The threshold should be barely heard, so it doesn't drown out targets, but loud enough so that you know it is there, so that you know whether the machine is nulling.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1475761

Yes I have headphones. I will go outside in a little and try to turn up the threshold a little. I have the volume maxed because my headphones have volume on them.

Well the coin is at work and its on the side yard of our firehouse so. If I make a mess its no big deal, but I am trying to not make messes.

Thanks for the link to that post also.

I just got my 705 in yesterday, and I just did a quick little 1 hour hunt last night, but did not turn up anything. I swear there is someone out there in my area that also hunts in this park. Anyway, I have been using my detector here at work and I am getting mostly clad as to what I would expect because its a newer area 1980's. I have gone over our side yard here, and I get a consistent reading of a 32 - 34 on the 705 but it says thats its about 8 inches down. I am slightly hesitant to dig that deep because mostly of the coins I have been finding have been pretty shallow (2"-4"). Now this is a new machine to me and I am still learning so should I just go ahead and dig that deep? I am worried that if I do a hunt on some private property and dig an 8" deep hole someone is going to be like !!! :mad:. So any comments would help out immensely.

* Side-note: Yes I said I was hunting at work.

Also to the people that use the 705 what sensitivity do you run? I can turn mine to max and get no feedback on it so I am just wondering. Also on the threshold I have set to 0. I can turn it up and I don't here a hum so that's why I was wondering.
I am still slightly confused about that setting and just cant seem to grasp that concept yet.
Dude it's probably me hunting your area :lol: but maybe your the guy who left big ole potholes that I was accused of and now I'm banned from that park :mad: joking...I'm not mad anymore but I sure was at that moment...:lol:

Dante no that was not my at all. I just went to that park 2 days ago for the 1st time.

So I dug up that signal and it turned out to be just a folded up tin can blah. I check again it that's what it was hitting for 34 - 36. I also found a pistol in our yard at work. It is a toy pistol, but imagine my excitement when i found the hammer 1st.

I've only had my 705 for a couple of weeks, but have dug my share of aluminum folded up cans. I'm starting to learn to get a better idea of the size of the object before starting to dig by slowly making a cross over the target. Eventually you'll learn what a coin sized target sounds like vs. an old can. Pennies have been hitting anywhere from 32 to 38 on my machine, dimes usually 38 to 40, nickels 10 to 12, and quarters usally dead nuts at 42. Good luck and HH!

pinpoint sizing

Learn the pinpoint sizing function for you 705 from the manual. It's a cool function. Also on targets your Garrett Pro pointer can find from the surface if the target pinpoints in a large area just lift the strongest point to make sure its not a necklace then leave it. JMO but pocket spills and chains aren't that common. Use the info the pin pointer gives you also. That's what I found to do with my 705.... GL & HH Pat

Back
Top Bottom