Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Help To ID My Finds

Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Elite Member

Default Iso fossil id

Found this in the dump. I was thinking it's Definately a brachiopod but is it pseudoatrypa devoniana or spinatrypa spinosa? Opinions?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Supporter

Smile

I see a lot around shores of Lake Erie , the Penn Dixie site near Blasdell has. A lot of info on fossils . GL ,,,,,HH

Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM
Supporter

Looks like a brachiopod to me.

-- Tom

Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Definite brachiopod 210-425 million years old. I'm full of bs including one in geology.

Dave

Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Elite Member

I figure it's gotta be old. One thing I never got into was fossil hunting. We have some of the oldest fossils here. Im pretty sure for a small fee you can fossil hunt here in Lockport at the quarry. Any other wnyer's ever ever done this before?

Old 03-22-2017, 06:14 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SevenOneSix View post
I figure it's gotta be old. One thing I never got into was fossil hunting. We have some of the oldest fossils here. Im pretty sure for a small fee you can fossil hunt here in Lockport at the quarry. Any other wnyer's ever ever done this before?
Well, not in WNY. I did spend quite a few years studying and collecting fossils. That's probably a Devonian piece. I specialized in Late Triassic/early Jurassic Paleoflora (plants). Still get out now and then and hope to get back into it in earnest soon. I hunt in a group of formations called the "Newark Super Group". It's the remains of a huge inland lake/swamp that extended from Connecticut to about the top of North Carolina.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 AM

im in western ny and we have fossils EVERYWHERE. Its harder to find a rock without fossil activity in some places than to find a plain old rock. Never really bothered to search much because they were so common growing up I didn't think anything of it.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by flyguy784 View post
Well, not in WNY. I did spend quite a few years studying and collecting fossils. That's probably a Devonian piece. I specialized in Late Triassic/early Jurassic Paleoflora (plants). Still get out now and then and hope to get back into it in earnest soon. I hunt in a group of formations called the "Newark Super Group". It's the remains of a huge inland lake/swamp that extended from Connecticut to about the top of North Carolina.
We have the Lockport formation here middle silurian/devonian

Originally Posted by Tpmetal View post
im in western ny and we have fossils EVERYWHERE. Its harder to find a rock without fossil activity in some places than to find a plain old rock. Never really bothered to search much because they were so common growing up I didn't think anything of it.
Yes so many fossils around here. I seem to find them when i detect and dig dumps