Xcal washers

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
I was starting to do another CF shaft this morning and got to the lower rod washers. I noticed on freebay the kid was like $30. When i was going thru my parts bag i came across some old round rubber washers and found out ..... wow those thing fit right in the hole. These were used of course and i wont be using them because of the wear. But .... seems these might be a good replacement and can be gotten from any hardware store. The hole maybe a tad larger which allows it to fit perfectly i believe. What ya think?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 249
The points of the rubber grommets are what hold the coil in place by friction so it doesn't flop around...no points to keep it in place and the shaft will start to wear on the coil ears.

I disagree that the style used by ML is necessary.... why, because ive been using a whites lower rod on one for about a year now with those same round washers that Plugger made me. Its more the stickiness of the rubber and thickness that keeps the coil in place. Once they wear down to the head its self then you have a real problem with wear and wanting to crank the ears tighter. The rubbers i had were a little tuffer and had bumps to keep them in place. the way these round ones are penched in there may well prevent them from moving as well. This might be a cheaper fix allowing you to change rubbers more often and ML is the only company doing theirs like that so it must not be an issue per sa. Ill let you know.:grin:

I disagree that the style used by ML is necessary.... why, because ive been using a whites lower rod on one for about a year now with those same round washers that Plugger made me. Its more the stickiness of the rubber and thickness that keeps the coil in place. Once they wear down to the head its self then you have a real problem with wear and wanting to crank the ears tighter. The rubbers i had were a little tuffer and had bumps to keep them in place. the way these round ones are penched in there may well prevent them from moving as well. This might be a cheaper fix allowing you to change rubbers more often and ML is the only company doing theirs like that so it must not be an issue per sa. Ill let you know.:grin:

correct, and the spacing on the ML ones wear too fast also,,,,doesn't allow any room for wear,,,,,my Anderson lowers do not have a tear drop shape and I use sink washers and they do fine,,,,whooooooole lot cheaper,,,,,GL HH

Back
Top Bottom