Question for CTX 3030 beach hunters:

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
For anyone using a CTX 3030 on the wet salt beach, a question please:

Do you avail yourself of the "seawater" option/setting ?

When I had read the manual, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to be saying this was to quiet things down when your coil goes in our out of the ebbing surf. Ie.: the "momentary flutters", caused by the wet salt water. But that if a person were going to be staying on just the damp sand, that it wasn't needed. Yes ? No ?

And when I read that, I immediately thought of 2 different machines, with something similar:

a) the CZ6 with it's "salt" mode. There's been observation by many CZ users, that using this can cost you sensitivity for small and flitty gold. Or depth on lower conductors, etc.... So some CZ6 users elect to NOT use the "salt" mode, and .... just learn to mentally discern the momentary flutters when moving into, or out of, the water's edge.

b) The XLT (& spectrum, etc...): There's a recommended setting for wet salt beach, to edit OUT the #s from about 00 to 03 -ish. The reason is: Those very low #'s are the conductivity of wet salt. However, a lot of Whites users elected NOT to edit those out, since .... as you can see .... that begins to get close to foil. And as you know, it's a no-no to edit out foil, since some small gold items (earing, etc...) can read down that low. Or take a low random bounce if not exactly centered, etc... So Whites users, instead, would just know in their mind that there would be momentary flutters going in and out of the surf's edge, or going over a saltwater-filled hole, etc...

So is the same logic true for the "seawater" mode on the 3030 ? Has anyone here tried experimenting with turning it on and off, at the same beach environment, to see the difference? Example: 1) out of the ebbing surf, just on the wet inter-tidal zone. or 2) in and out of the water's edge.

thanx!

Interesting question and I believe you will find it is totally site specific. I've been using the CTX almost exclusively for slightly over 1 1/2 years now (excluding the time back for repairs) When I first got the machine, I experimented with most of the settings, saltwater being one of them. I have found I can use the machine in the Gulf on extremely calm days moving the detector slowly without "saltwater" enabled. Even in the Gulf, those days are rare and I've gotten used to just using the "saltwater" setting exclusively even when hunting the wet and dry sand. I think you may find it more erratic on your sand with the black sand content on the beaches I have seen in the San Diego area!

Is it deeper or more sensitive to small gold without it enabled, I have no idea.
Guess now you have brought it up, I've got to get out of the comfort zone and experiment again. What if anything am I missing when I come out of the water and hunt the wet sand with it enabled?

Time to get out some of the small stuff and do some testing on the wet sand again... I'll let you know what I find over here.

Cliff

thanx CDV. I've reviewed the instructions, and notice that :

a) they say only for times when you anticipate being in and out of the ebbing water (or actually under , as in snorkel or scuba, etc...).

and

b) the stock beach program has it "off".

So at first glance, it would appear that it's normally intended (or can be) OFF. Even when on the wet-salt beach. However, I'm hearing from a long-time user here, that he insists he has much more stable operation on the wet salt beach, by having it "on". Even if/when not moving in and out of ebbing surf.

Hmmm..

When I use mine in the surf, the whitewater surges make it chatty regardless of the saltwater setting being selected.

I hate surf detecting and would rather wait for a calm day with a low tide.

In calm water I don't notice a difference between on/off.

I do most of my detecting in the salt water or wet sand and have tested it turned on and even with my custom beach programs. My results have been always leave the Sea water checked and control the sensitivity to match the salt content or rough surf. I have picked up very small gold in the salt water rough tide wet sand and dry sand, checking sea water doesn't seem to affect the depth here. Remember, dig down a few inches even in dry sand and you will find salt water. I'm on the treasure coast and wouldn't detect the beach without Sea water checked. IMO

thanx dirty-dog !

And would you mind putting your preferred wet-salt-beach settings listed here ? Ie.: what program you start with, and what options you change/set from there ?

thanx !

b) the stock beach program has it "off".

So at first glance, it would appear that it's normally intended (or can be) OFF. Even when on the wet-salt beach.

However, I'm hearing from a long-time user here, that he insists he has much more stable operation on the wet salt beach, by having it "on". Even if/when not moving in and out of ebbing surf.

Hmmm..

Don't read to much into the beach program having "seawater" unchecked. The Seawater option was an upgrade (added) after the CTX hit the streets and beach hunters complained big time on the erratic machine in the surf. Did you have it on the machine when you got yours?? OR, did you have to hook up to the computer and the Exchange for an update? IF you updated, you didn't have it until the update! It does help with a chatty machine...

Cliff

Don't read to much into the beach program having "seawater" unchecked. The Seawater option was an upgrade (added) after the CTX hit the streets and beach hunters complained big time on the erratic machine in the surf. Did you have it on the machine when you got yours?? OR, did you have to hook up to the computer and the Exchange for an update? IF you updated, you didn't have it until the update! It does help with a chatty machine...

Cliff

I think it was to clean up the first machines that hit the market. If Max thought there was a big difference between his first and second machine, there was likely something to it. I can clean up the chatter in mine by cutting the detector on with the coil on the ground. Does it affect sens. any more than seawater? I think it is about like what checking the seawater box does. Someone hunting more than me would have to try it and take notes. Me, I don't like my CTX in the water in the surf. Too easy to switch to a quiet Excalibur. I know mine in the surf with seawater checked and auto +3 it does some chattering. Main thing is to keep the sand out of your coil cover here. IMO!

Cliff

Ahhh, very good info cdv. I am not the original owner of this machine. So I can't say for certain whether it's the earlier type with merely an upgrade. Versus later models where that was a stock feature.

But I do know this: The instruction manual I have is NOT the one that came with the machine. It's merely printed off the internet. So that tells me that the fact that my manual contains a reference to that function, does NOT mean I necessarily have the older, versus the newer, model.

Very interesting. And yes this would/can explain why it's not necessarily on the pre-set beach options as a "must". And could explain why .... even after putting in as an automatic option, that the instructions might still not stress that it's a "must-do-setting".

Anyone else care to take a stab at any differences they've noted for seawater "on" or "off", when merely in damp sand ? (and not in/out of ebbing surf).

I did go out on the wet salt sand yesterday (at a very non-mineralized white-sand beach). And THIS time: was using the seawater mode checked. Seemed much more stable. But time-will tell, as I'm going to be trying it on some cinnamon colored mild mineral beaches soon. But so far, that control does seem to be stablizing it better than my first experience.

Also to add: Was using the 17" coil. I don't notice any more depth so far, than I would've expected on a 10.5" with Exp. II.

Ahhh, very good info cdv. I am not the original owner of this machine. So I can't say for certain whether it's the earlier type with merely an upgrade. Versus later models where that was a stock feature.

But I do know this: The instruction manual I have is NOT the one that came with the machine. It's merely printed off the internet. So that tells me that the fact that my manual contains a reference to that function, does NOT mean I necessarily have the older, versus the newer, model.

Very interesting. And yes this would/can explain why it's not necessarily on the pre-set beach options as a "must". And could explain why .... even after putting in as an automatic option, that the instructions might still not stress that it's a "must-do-setting".

Anyone else care to take a stab at any differences they've noted for seawater "on" or "off", when merely in damp sand ? (and not in/out of ebbing surf).

I did go out on the wet salt sand yesterday (at a very non-mineralized white-sand beach). And THIS time: was using the seawater mode checked. Seemed much more stable. But time-will tell, as I'm going to be trying it on some cinnamon colored mild mineral beaches soon. But so far, that control does seem to be stablizing it better than my first experience.

Also to add: Was using the 17" coil. I don't notice any more depth so far, than I would've expected on a 10.5" with Exp. II.

Tom, you actually have to print the instructions from the internet. Unless they changed that.

I have not had any experience with a CTX but know that CZ users and Excal users experience some fluttering around wash line and waves using more sens but I myself with the excel turn the sens down around those areas just because I can pick up smaller gold that makes its way up there,,,,higher sens there, WILL make you miss some smaller stuff,,,GL HH

In SoCal, my CTX goes nuts in the moving water without saltwater checked. With it checked, it still gives false signals as the waves wash over the coil. In the wet sand, it doesn't matter whether it's checked or not. I believe that the saltwater function does is to selectively lower sensitivity to low conductors (such as salt water and gold), so I leave it off as much as possible.

I forgot what settings I used but the CTX sure worked great when I was at the East coast. :D

thanx dirty-dog !

And would you mind putting your preferred wet-salt-beach settings listed here ? Ie.: what program you start with, and what options you change/set from there ?

thanx !

Sorry Tom it has taken me a while to respond. I have about four different programs I use. Depending on the location and sand conditions on the east coast of FL. But this is what I use for most of my hunts.
1 - Discrimination Pattern-conductivity--50 percent horizontal always top no
disrim. I run no discrim at all while I hunt and only turn it on to check
target.
2 - Enable GB checked
3 - Recovery deep
4 - Target Separation-- Ground Coin
5 - Pinpoint normal
6 - Sometimes combined target trace
7 - Sea Water ALWAYS checked
8 - Tone ID profile left to right-511Hz--273Hz--660Hz--880Hz
9 - Recovery Deep checked
10-Fast recovery not checked. Machine is fast enough and I swing slow

I hope this helps give you and idea of how I hunt. Of course Sensitivity is adjusted for the condition. but I usually get by with 5 or 6 above what is recommended. I also wait until I'm in the beach before I turn the CTX on. I also hold the coil off the ground when I turn it on. I seems to cut down on falsing at least to me. Right or wrong, it works for me. I'm sure I forgot something.

Sorry Tom it has taken me a while to respond. I have about four different programs I use. Depending on the location and sand conditions on the east coast of FL. But this is what I use for most of my hunts.
1 - Discrimination Pattern-conductivity--50 percent horizontal always top no
disrim. I run no discrim at all while I hunt and only turn it on to check
target.
2 - Enable GB checked
3 - Recovery deep
4 - Target Separation-- Ground Coin
5 - Pinpoint normal
6 - Sometimes combined target trace
7 - Sea Water ALWAYS checked
8 - Tone ID profile left to right-511Hz--273Hz--660Hz--880Hz
9 - Recovery Deep checked
10-Fast recovery not checked. Machine is fast enough and I swing slow

I hope this helps give you and idea of how I hunt. Of course Sensitivity is adjusted for the condition. but I usually get by with 5 or 6 above what is recommended. I also wait until I'm in the beach before I turn the CTX on. I also hold the coil off the ground when I turn it on. I seems to cut down on falsing at least to me. Right or wrong, it works for me. I'm sure I forgot something.

Interesting, do you actually Ground Balance? I've never enabled the GB on the 3030 on the other side of Florida.

Cliff

Ground Balance...

The CTX manual says to never ground balance machine while beach hunting...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 934
The CTX manual says to never ground balance machine while beach hunting...

I'm sure there are some places that would need ground balancing at the beach no matter what the manual says..... I have just never experienced it nor had GB enabled.... Now maybe in California on those beaches with all that black sand I've seen over there....just never hat the machine there to try it out.

Lots of things manuals say for the masses.....and for general usage, then there are those that dare not follow the manual and see if something different than the norm works and try to figure out why it does....

Lots of things manuals say for the masses.....and for general usage, then there are those that dare not follow the manual and see if something different than the norm works and try to figure out why it does....
I'm willing to bet there are more treasure hunters who never even read the manuals, than those who have read it thoroughly and say to themselves, "let's do the opposite of what the manual says". :lol:

I'm willing to bet there are more treasure hunters who never even read the manuals, than those who have read it thoroughly and say to themselves, "let's do the opposite of what the manual says". :lol:

Couldn't agree more!

Back
Top Bottom