Xcal: choose blue or green monster?

Flying Dutchman

Want to buy a used Xcal for some saltwater beachdetecting. Read a lot about the pros and cons, but still having a problem deciding. Can buy a used green 1000 and a never used (still boxed) blue 1000 for the same prize :grin:

What are your pros and cons between those two? Could the cables, coil and o-rings of the boxed blue be totally dried up (its to far to drive, so its has to be shipped, the green is nearby)?

I bought a blue.... looked like new and only used a couple of times .... then put up for a couple years. Cable blew the first time out..... chances you take. I think its harder on them being stored for long periods after use those being used and taken care of.

Xcal II ... its a little chatty where the blue in most cases is smooth even at the wave line in disc. Could be the slimline coil. Ive had a lot more problems with the Xcal II.... ive replaced about everything. They are made in malaise.... used to be Ireland. Most people who havent tried a blue can only speak about the Xcal II. I also prefer the blues headphones.... little heavier cable and you can put the detector down without it pulling the phones off your head. Kellyco does good repairs on either one and once repaired they seem to be REPAIRED. All things being equal.... price ect, and if you can get some idea how they were used or what repairs may have been made.... id choose a blue.

good used Blue hands down,,,,,,,best bought sight seen,,,,,,they run much smoother and hold up better,,,,,,,even with repairs it still works out to be cheaper than a green also,,,,,,the blue seems much more sensitive and ground balances better in waves or against the wash line,,,,,HP, I like blue ones,,,,,,they are COMPLETELY waterproof and have good tones,,,,,so do the uncomfortable yellow ones,,,,GL HH

I have three two excal 2s one blue, all are older models, All are excellent. But if I had to pick between the them I'd go with the blue. Not because of noise all of them run very quite, you just can't beat old school stuff. That being said it really goes with anything theses days.

Thanks guys!! A week ago I tried buying a blue from somebody on another forum, but the coilbottum was separating and this blue did go way deeper in disc than in pinpoint (almost 3/4 deeper), that isn't normal right??

Rarely if ever will it go deeper in disc than PP since the machine doesnt have to process the target or isnt as effected by the conditions in PP. Some people may believe theirs does, but in most cases they arent used to hunting in PP with its better sizing of the target and modulation. Disc isnt as modulated which allows you to hear all targets about the same.

Dew

In this case the detector did (only airtested though). PP mode was only 3-5 inch or so and disc was heck a lot more :shock: maybe they did a wrong potmeter soldering in it or something like that :?:

Did mail the blue excal owner and told him its sold, so thanks for the tips :yes:

Richard

So you getting the blue? If so you'll love it. Did you say the coil is splitting? If so you might need a new coil which is why the dic and PP are acting up. Once finished it'll be good to go.

Thanks, didn't know that and a strange thing though that it works this way when that happens. The one I want to buy is new in box, so hoping this coil is good to go :yes: but with a detector that has been in a box for a lot of years, things could be dried up. But the owner doesn't reply my mail so still waiting .........

those split coils come mostly from wear on the lower rod and you keep tightening those coil ears instead of putting new rubbers on. Try using Aqua Seal or loctite marine epoxy on the bottom of the coil BEFORE you ever get it wet..... if might just repair that problem. Its a !!!! shoot with some used detectors..... but should it need a repair if you got it right once you get it repaired by Kelleyco it will be as good as new especially if you have them put new o rings in at that time..... and you will still have less in it than a new one.

Dew

Thanks Dew!

The blue I checked out few weeks ago with the bad coil and strange disc/PP depths had a lot of sand and such in between the coil, so to late for that one. But owner wanted to much for it with the bad coil, so didn't work out.

Any repairs I will try fixing/soldering myself, cause its the only way one learns things. And OBN has some nice youtube vids on the subject :yes:

Back
Top Bottom