My first Octopus...

cdv

Elite Member
Did that get your attention.... ?

DC426 (Chris) and I hit the beach today.... could show you the typical clad and SS ring and misc. junk of the day but you all know what that looks like....today though I'll pass on those photo's and show you a few of what I was tripping over in the water...one section of the beach seemed to have a bunch of Horse Conch shells, all occupied but one had a hitch hiker on it....I didn't see at first but Chris noticed it and showed me.... My first Octopus, something I never thought I'd see in the Gulf without scuba diving.

Earlier we saved a stone crab from a trap that had drifted away from it's float and was now in the swimming area.. dragged the trap out of the water and let the crab go....

Seems we can find all sorts of things in the water......but gold lately!

Edit: Forgot to add, that is DC426 holding the shell......

HH and GL all
Cliff

Attachments

• HC.jpg
    HC.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Octocropped.jpg
    Octocropped.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 406
  • HCOsm.jpg
    HCOsm.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 403
  • DC426sm.jpg
    DC426sm.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 395
That's to cool.
So what time are you serving Conch Fritters mmmmmmmmmmm :excited:

Looks like the Gulf is a little chilly. I went diving today and it was cold, where is the 80 degree weather I so love and miss, 60's sux :crying:

Cool, very cool...

Hard to believe he could do this one day...:D

Attachments

• OBN0353.jpg
    OBN0353.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 398
We have beyond a doubt the best hobby ever :) You never know what you will see, find, experience :) Octopus!!! and a great crab save = A GRRREAT DAY!

Cool find cdv... I like the conch as well... those are good to eat as long as you don't mind the smell they give off cooking them :yes:

Dang, it is, its a real Octopus,,,,,,you go from grenades to weird marine life,,,,,:laughing:they are good grouper bait for them 50 60 pounders,,,,,,Chris went from no wet suit last year to wet suit AND gloves,,,,,,,,:lol:looks happy, he must have sand bagger a gold,,,,:shock:GL HH

Very cool, nice looking little fella! I had one on my coil awhile back, but the best story was one of the guys from japan night hunting in the water and it climbed up the shaft...:lol::lol::lol:

That is one of the coolest "finds" that I have seen it a while. Some day I would like to see one in the wild myself.

Doug

Took one of those conchs and put it in my front yard. Thought the fire ants would eat the conch. They didn't. The smell would gag you from a city block away:lol: Never caught an Octopus. Did catch squid in a net. They can bite the krap out of your finger. Ask me how I know:lol:

I knew that someone else here would have had a similar experience, no way was this going to be a first time for everyone here....just seemed so odd in 4' of water in the bath tub smooth (but chilly :cold:) Gulf....just never thought it would be in that area.... guess you just never know.

Thanks for all the comments ....everyone

Cliff

You check that octopus to make sure he wasn't hiding any gold? ;)

Back
Top Bottom