Newbie to the hobby/sport/craft?

nspector

Hello everyone,

I am new to the hobby and I have not went on my first hunt yet. I live in Huntsville, Alabama and just received my detector in the mail this past Monday. My detector of choice was the Teknetics T2+. I purchased the bundle that came with the pinpointer, headphones, digging tool, carry bag. I also purchased the detectorist's waist pouch. I am eager to take it out. I work in Cyber Security and I do not want a hobby that involves looking at a computer monitor ie. gaming. I want to find coins and maybe some relics.

Looking forward to learning a lot from the greats on here.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Try a practice hunt first in your own yard, that way you can get used to your detector and also practice digging and replacing a plug.

Some people might be surprised what they might find in their own yard, after that when detecting elsewhere the key is location, location, location.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Try a practice hunt first in your own yard, that way you can get used to your detector and also practice digging and replacing a plug.

Some people might be surprised what they might find in their own yard, after that when detecting elsewhere the key is location, location, location.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Thank you, I live in an apartment so digging in the yard is not feasible. But I understand what you are saying about digging the plug and covering the hole again.

Welcome from south of you in Birmingham.
The dirt in this state is challenging but doable, right now it is probably so dry and rock hard it is tough to dig anywhere and not make a mess but the good news is that won't last forever.
When actual fall hits and we get a few rains the dirt softens up and stays that way through the winter and spring up until it gets hot again, at which point I usually take a break.
So be patient, our southern quality hunting season is about to begin.

My favorite time to hunt is in the fall and spring with temps in the 50's to low 70's and much better almost perfect digging conditions.
The good thing is we can hunt trough the winter here, it never gets super cold and even on colder days you can still bundle up and hunt and we get very little snow but the best thing is the ground never freezes.
Others aren't so lucky, many can't hunt from November or December until spring thaws out everything where they live so I find the best and nicest thing we can do is hunt a lot and post a ton of great find pics here so those guys can live vicariously through us.
Or, do all that just to make them all jealous if you are that kind of person.
Confidentially, I think I am a little bit of both. :D

You have a great detector and plenty of good treasure hiding where you live here and there.
Learn your tool well and you will be rewarded.

Use the Search feature, go to advanced and plug in the name Bonesquat and hit Find Threads Started By User.
He has 7 years of posts about hunts here and lots of vids of many of those hunts he posted while he lived in Huntsville...hundreds of them.
Notice where he goes and where he hunts and most of all how he digs in the summer months...then try not to do that.
He is known as the coin murderer.
Then again if you are trying to dig coins out of concrete like dirt not much you can do about that.

Last edited:
Just got a Vanguish 540. Handful of bullets here and there but haven't found that true campsite or battlefield.

Good luck to you.

Thank You,

I have been to East Tennessee many times. What detector do you use and find any relics?

Welcome from NE Illinois! It’s definitely a nice change from network security!!! Enjoy that you can probably hunt year round. Not so lucky here. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the welcome. Yes something outdoors and not looking at a computer.

Back
Top Bottom