Newbie here

karst_runner

Hello,

Detecting is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Can anybody offer some advice?

I could potentially have a budget of $1500 for a detector. My target would be coins and possibly jewelry. I'd rather spend $750, but I'm positive it'd be something I'd enjoy.

I looked at a White's MX sport, but realized I need to do some homework before jumping in. I'll take all recommendations.... Cheers / Thanks!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I would not buy a Whites... even know I love them they are going under..

Save some money and buy a Minelab Equinox the 600 should be fine to use.. unless you want the wireless headphones included then the 800.

Welcome from GA.

Lots of great units out there. A few I like are the E-Trac, Explorer SE Pro, XP ORX, and Makro Multi Kruzer.

If one wanted to get in with maximum bang for buck the Vanquish 340/440/540 would be it IMO.

GL and happy hunting!

Welcome to the forum.
Depending on what areas you plan to hunt and what type of soil conditions exist. These are the two choices that I like and use.
Saltwater Beach, Wet or Dry Sand, Shallow Water - Minelab Equinox 600 or 800 (800 What I have) plus sand scoop.
Relic Hunting - XP Deus plus digging tools.
Both of the above detectors will do the dry and damp sand, find coins and jewelry.
Only the the Minelab is waterproof and Multi-Frequency.
The XP Deus is a Single Frequency detector but is the lightest between the three mentioned above and is my favorite detector to use on a long hunt.
Please do your research before you purchase as Whites is out of business as already mentioned.
Good luck!

To put it simple, if you live within a hundred miles radius of me, get anything but the NOX. But if you live further than the 100 miles, I would get the NOX 800.

Either Nox.
Not perfect but both good all around and very productive if you learn them.
Waterproof, supposedly, so if you are planning on getting near or in water a good choice.

Fisher F75
A Flagship model, used to be over $1100 back in the day but the price has been cut in half over the last few years.
Also a great all around, a legend and still used and cherished by many.
Lots of features and programs to make it easy for newbies to learn.

Teknetics Patriot
Used to sold as the Fisher F70 for about $700 but crossed over brands and then renamed and dropped to $400.
One slot below the F75, a rat rod with no programs and a few less features but with massive power that always was and still is one of the best all around sleepers out there.
A personal favorite, I have the F70 version and as an all around it has worked everywhere for me and found me enough coins and silver and gold jewelry to pay for itself probably 4-5 times over if not more.

Lots of foreign jobbies out there too, the Deus and many more.
Most have their rabid fans but I never used them so I can't really give an opinion.
I expect many others will, however, eventually.

If you want to just dip your toe in the water the Patriot, Simplex, Vanquish and maybe the new Garrett Apex aren't that expensive and supposedly capable,the AT Pro has many fans as a midrange.
If you want to go all in the sky's the limit.

Get lots of opinions and study any model but especially the high end models if you are going to go there.
You ask because you don't know what kind of model of brand you will enjoy, after you're in the hobby for awhile you get a much better sense of that but starting out fresh it is confusing.

Keep in mind no matter what unit you use no matter how cheap or expensive not everyone clicks with every detector.
Be a shame to spend $800, $1,300 or $1,500 and find out you hate the thing.
Many have gone high from the beginning and it worked out fine, many started lower, learned what they needed and made a much better informed choice on an upgrade.

Good luck!

Last edited:
IF whites wasn't closed i would have said great decision, i have found all sorts of silver and super deep targets with the sport. I now have an equinox and although i don't know it as well as I did the sport, it is doing a good job so far.

As a fellow beginner I would like to add this thought. Budget some money for pin pointer, hand digger, quality shovel digger and wireless headphones. Some detectors come with that in a package deal and some don't. Quality accessories might cost as much as several hundred dollars on top of the cost of the detector.

Ken

Lots of good advice there, If I had 1500 to spend I would get a NOX for 800 and spend the rest on gear like a pinpointer, digger etc.

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

:fmdfwelcome:

I would not buy a Whites.......

Ditto. They were always ahead of their time during the 1970s, 80s, and '90s. But not only are they now going under (no parts, servicing, etc....), but Minelabs took over in popularity and performance starting in the 1990s.

Welcome, karst_runner. I've been having lots of fun MDing, mixing it with historical research to try to locate worthwhile sites and targets. Talking with everyone here you get lots of hints, suggestions and ideas. One thing leads to another. Have fun! That $750 gets you in the neighborhood of a Z-Lynked Garrett AT Max and a Propointer. That's what I'm using, my first device.

Are you really running on karsted surfaces? That might get tricky!

Aloha Karst_runner. This forum is filled with so much awesome advice. I've got an excalibur 2. I'm absolutely in love with it. Greetings and welcome from Hawaii!!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm in the Kentuckiana region of the Ohio River Valley.

Can't wait to look some of these models up!

Ditto. They were always ahead of their time during the 1970s, 80s, and '90s. But not only are they now going under (no parts, servicing, etc....), but Minelabs took over in popularity and performance starting in the 1990s.
Thanks for the warning. They're the only brand I'm familiar with. I'll stay away and buy one of the recommended brands.

Back
Top Bottom