• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New to this

History101

Hi everyone, my name is Rich. I recently purchased a Garrett 200 Ace. Tomorrow I'm hoping to go detecting for the first time. However, I had no idea how strict Iowa laws are in regards to metal detecting. Trespassing is not an option for me. Does anyone know if there are any public places that are legal to detect? I appreciate any advice. I can hardly wait to get started.

... Does anyone know if there are any public places that are legal to detect?....

Welcome to the hobby , and to FMDF.

The correct question is not : "Where is it legal to metal detect ?" That sort of implies (perhaps you didn't mean to imply it) that : There's going to be express allowances, that say something like "metal detecting allowed here" type signs. It doesn't work like that.

Instead, the correct question (if someone is skittish) is to be : "where is it illegal" (ie.: express forbiddances) . Because: If there's no rule or law that says "no md'ing", then presto: It's not disallowed. We do not need an express allowance. No more so than you need to know if you can fly frisbees, or tap dance, etc.... If there were no rule or law forbidding, then you wouldn't assume that you can't do those things "until given an express say-so".

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Most, if not all, county and city public parks "should" be okay as long as you do not see any "no metal detecting" signs posted. State parks might have limited areas you can detect and might require you checking in with the park ranger first, check your state parks web site for details.

As far as county and city parks, if you want added assurance you can check your local parks dept web site online to see if they specifically forbid metal detecting, but it usually is not smart to call them up as you might get someone who really does not know and will automatically say no just to be on the safe side.

Wherever you dig, public areas or permissions to detect on private property, be sure to dig proper clean plugs and replace them carefully so as to make it look like you never dug in the first place, also take any trash you find with you.

Edit to add: didn't see Tom's post until after I posted my post, I was wondering how long it would take him to reply to that question :lol: good reply Tom and very fast response :lol:

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

... you can check your local parks dept web site online to see if ...

Yup. In today's magical age of the internet, there's ... by now ... not a single public entity that doesn't have their muni codes (park rules, city laws, etc...) somewhere on-line. Eg.: Dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc....

But if it's some super small podunk town or county, that doesn't have a website nor digitized their muni codes, laws, rules, etc.... Then here's option #2 : If you simply HAVE to talk to someone face-to-face, but don't want to risk the "no one cared till you asked" routine, you can do this :

Ask the desk-jockey where the city charter, muni law, park rules, etc.... are at. It HAS to exist somewhere. Eg.: In binder form down at the courthouse or city library, etc...

Personally, for run-of-mill regular parks, this is WAY over-kill worrying. If I'm traveling around, and see a good looking park, I just whip out the detector and go. Barring an obvious sensitive historic monument, or being an utter nuisance drawing attention to yourself, you're typically hard-pressed to get anyone to care less. Just don't be in the middle of deep retrievals if busy-body nosy-parkers are watching :roll:

Welcome from central Indiana!!

Also, congratulations on your new metal detector. Now the fun part begins of learning that machine and all it's capable of.

I've had my greatest success in a mid sized city high school parking lot. I just googled all the high schools in the city, then went further to learn the year they were established. I found the oldest one which was built in the late 1800's; although, I'm sure it has been rebuilt since then. The parking lot grass islands is where it's at. Imagine kids getting out of their car in a rush on their way to class, or in a hurry to get home. Kids usually have lunch money and that usually consists of some change. In this day and age, many students either arrive or depart school wearing headphones listening to music, so if they do drop something, they more than likely won't hear it hit the ground. If they aren't wearing headphones, then they won't hear coins hit the grass in the islands of the parking lot. In only a 5ft x 15ft area, I found more money than I had found anywhere else in such a small spot. I'd estimate I've only covered less than 1 percent of detectable space. The city police did approach me on foot but they were only curious about the hobby and what it was like. This was during school hrs as well. I figured I'd go back on the weekends because I generally like to hunt in peace. I was just in town anyway, so I wanted to make the most of the trip.

Check out them older schools...

Happy hunting, gents.

Bluesguitar1 :digginahole:

Thank you everyone for your input and for welcoming me. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome from central Indiana!!

Also, congratulations on your new metal detector. Now the fun part begins of learning that machine and all it's capable of.

I've had my greatest success in a mid sized city high school parking lot. I just googled all the high schools in the city, then went further to learn the year they were established. I found the oldest one which was built in the late 1800's; although, I'm sure it has been rebuilt since then. The parking lot grass islands is where it's at. Imagine kids getting out of their car in a rush on their way to class, or in a hurry to get home. Kids usually have lunch money and that usually consists of some change. In this day and age, many students either arrive or depart school wearing headphones listening to music, so if they do drop something, they more than likely won't hear it hit the ground. If they aren't wearing headphones, then they won't hear coins hit the grass in the islands of the parking lot. In only a 5ft x 15ft area, I found more money than I had found anywhere else in such a small spot. I'd estimate I've only covered less than 1 percent of detectable space. The city police did approach me on foot but they were only curious about the hobby and what it was like. This was during school hrs as well. I figured I'd go back on the weekends because I generally like to hunt in peace. I was just in town anyway, so I wanted to make the most of the trip.

Check out them older schools...

Happy hunting, gents.

Bluesguitar1 :digginahole:

Welcome History from NE Ohio
The Bues man just gave us all a great tip, thank you brother!! I really like your idea, fantastic! This is what I love about this site!!

Hi everyone, my name is Rich. I recently purchased a Garrett 200 Ace. Tomorrow I'm hoping to go detecting for the first time. However, I had no idea how strict Iowa laws are in regards to metal detecting. Trespassing is not an option for me. Does anyone know if there are any public places that are legal to detect? I appreciate any advice. I can hardly wait to get started.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Welcome History from NE Ohio
The Bues man just gave us all a great tip, thank you brother!! I really like your idea, fantastic! This is what I love about this site!!

Thanks, Yamihere. I appreciate it. I'm hoping to help others with what I have learned from research on this forum. None of what I do is of my own creation. It's all acquired knowledge.

In most states detecting laws are left up to the towns. What may be illegal in one town may be alright in the next town. If your town bans it I would check out the nearby towns and ask for permissions from your friends and other home owners.

Back
Top Bottom