1895 yard yields 2 MONTANA SALOON tokens!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Today, Tuesday, I headed north from home to try to detect a random farmhouse yard along the East Side Highway. I didn't get too far when I saw a guy out working in the yard of a ca 1895 large home! I pulled off the highway, introduced myself and visited for a bit. Turned out to be a very friendly owner, and I got the OK to detect the whole property! The man had only lived there for about 3 years, so even though I was definitely exited to see what I would come across, I knew there was a good possibility that it had been detected before. The lawn area alone was about a 1/2 acre in size.

As it turned out, this hunt was a bit different in that the yard had definitely been detected before. NO copper Memorial Cents, only 2 clad dimes, NO silver dimes or quarters, and amazingly only ONE Wheat Cent (1919-S). Practically all the yard had been really cleaned out, with no signals for quite a while.

Finally, a deep high tone, and out came a Trade Token, and a good one! From the PALACE SALOON in CORVALLIS, MONTANA / GOOD FOR 12 1/2 cents in trade. I was delighted with that find! I began to grid the yard carefully, and about 30 feet away, got another deep high tone, and out popped a second PALACE SALOON token! I mumbled to myself "You've got to be kidding me!" Other good finds included a Silver War Nickel, some early shotgun shell bases, an old 8 sided copper tag marked HEMATITE / 3 - perhaps an early mineral tag.

Even though the finds were very sparse, what I found was early and fun to run across. The first pic shows the overall finds, the last pic shows one of the Saloon Tokens. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• tokens1.jpg
    tokens1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 453
  • tokens2.jpg
    tokens2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 426
  • tokens3.jpg
    tokens3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 400
Forgot to add I found a cool early Military button... my guess 1880's-90's. Here is pic...

Attachments

• button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 458
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 422
I love them Tokens. Better than some coins n my opinion . They tell a story . Happy. Hunting!

Thank you Diggerjonny! I wonder if someone came home from the saloon and was a bit drunk and lost them in the front yard, or the lady of the house was disgusted in finding them in her husband's pocket and threw them out!

... Better than some coins n my opinion . They tell a story ...

^ ^ This ^^

I'd rather find an old token than a seated or barber. And often-times they're worth more. And conjur up cool history of wild-west saloons, etc.... Love that 12.5 center !

Back
Top Bottom