• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Safety

If I had a hobby where I was forced to carry a concealed weapon for protection (or even peace of mind), I'd pick a different hobby or a different place to enjoy my hobby.

So to answer your question OP, I avoid dodgy situations or places. That's not to say there isn't a risk, but it's no greater than running an errand or otherwise living my normal life (which doesn't require me to carry a weapon or other sort of protection).

I usually hunt alone in the wee hours of the morning. Try not to stand out.
If going to the hood. I go early in the morning becuse the indigenous personnel don't wake up until noon.
In the hood I take my son with me he's bigger and younger than I am. We get out at the first signs of life.

Just last week I had a poor-hygiene person approach me from behind. I was detecting in a vacant lot across the street from a park. I had headphones on and did not hear him. He was tugging at my find pouch, which had a flattened aluminum can showing. Scared the you-know-what out of me! I think that's when he noticed the Lesche I was holding and moved on pretty quickly :) I'm going to be detecting with a buddy in that area for the near future.

Just last week I had a poor-hygiene person approach me from behind. I was detecting in a vacant lot across the street from a park. I had headphones on and did not hear him. He was tugging at my find pouch, which had a flattened aluminum can showing. Scared the you-know-what out of me! I think that's when he noticed the Lesche I was holding and moved on pretty quickly :) I'm going to be detecting with a buddy in that area for the near future.

Yikes!

How many people metal detect alone? I'm pretty observant of my surroundings and avoid unsavory situations. However, if you don't have a detecting buddy does anybody carry a concealed weapon? I realize some states don't allow this option. In those cases, what does everyone do? Everyone's opinions encouraged.

Might consider taking a dog along can be a good hunting buddy ,and alert you to problems and if big enough some extra protection.

While I haven't had any reason for concern detecting in a small town, it still would be nice to have a hunting buddy along at least occasionally, but have not had anyone local to hunt with, but having detecting friends on this forum is the next best thing !

Anyhow, if you are in an area where you simply can't find anyone to hunt with, especially if you are concerned about hunting alone in some areas, there is a possible solution at this link:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3257971#post3257971

(just joking :lol: but you have to admit it is funny :laughing:)

A minor inconvenience...the important thing is... were you both wearing masks? :?:

/sarc

If I had a hobby where I was forced to carry a concealed weapon for protection (or even peace of mind), I'd pick a different hobby or a different place to enjoy my hobby.

So to answer your question OP, I avoid dodgy situations or places. That's not to say there isn't a risk, but it's no greater than running an errand or otherwise living my normal life (which doesn't require me to carry a weapon or other sort of protection).

Unfortunately you are not living in reality. When things go wrong they go wrong very quickly. Bad things happen to good people everyday. My detecting buddy and I were on a very popular beach and were approached by 3 shady characters driving their vehicle on the beach ( illegal on this beach) I won’t go into great detail but my buddy was armed that day and I wasn’t even though I have concealed carry. The situation could have gone very wrong. I always carry now.
Our combined detecting gear was worth over $2000 dollars. That buys a lot of dope for a junkie.

I usually hunt alone. The park I usually hunt in is not in the best area, I see a lot of gang signs, a car usually sits in the corner of the parking lot which I assume is selling drugs. People dump their trash there instead of paying for a trash service. New additions to the tot lot only last a few days before they are vandalized and destroyed. The police told me that it is an area where they dump stolen cars. Not long ago they found a dead body there one morning. It is legal to carry concealed in my state but so far I haven't done it but I sure have thought about doing it.

I usually hunt alone. The park I usually hunt in is not in the best area, I see a lot of gang signs, a car usually sits in the corner of the parking lot which I assume is selling drugs. People dump their trash there instead of paying for a trash service. New additions to the tot lot only last a few days before they are vandalized and destroyed. The police told me that it is an area where they dump stolen cars. Not long ago they found a dead body there one morning. It is legal to carry concealed in my state but so far I haven't done it but I sure have thought about doing it. I am a veteran and quite familiar with firearms so that wouldn't be a problem.

I usually hunt alone. The park I usually hunt in is not in the best area, I see a lot of gang signs, a car usually sits in the corner of the parking lot which I assume is selling drugs. People dump their trash there instead of paying for a trash service. New additions to the tot lot only last a few days before they are vandalized and destroyed. The police told me that it is an area where they dump stolen cars. Not long ago they found a dead body there one morning. It is legal to carry concealed in my state but so far I haven't done it but I sure have thought about doing it. I am a veteran and quite familiar with firearms so that wouldn't be a problem.

Just curious what is the history of the park? Sad it may have been once a family friendly park people romping and dropping rings and coin, and now ended up like you describe dead bodies and stuff.

However, if you don't have a detecting buddy does anybody carry a concealed weapon?

Everywhere I go. I've never been anything like close to thinking I might need it when detecting though. My only real concern is feral dogs (and they do come around here, and have given me trouble before).

Bear Spray

Carry mace/pepper spray mix they sell at Dick's for bears. Especially true for NY and New Jersey also. Bears are real big and are not afraid of or concerned with humans and usually pose no threat but on occasion decide to play cat and mouse with hikers etc. Your only chance in these rare bear attacks is to fight with mace/ pepper spray in hand.

Wow; I am happy to report that I have only detected in places that were safe- tourist beaches, etc. But as a woman, I have at times felt odd being the only one on a beach for miles, like a few times in Hawaii.

I never felt like I needed protection. But as a native New Yorker, I have an ingrained sense of awareness of my surroundings!

Sorry, but I'm not the type that wants to carry any weapons with me, it kind of ruins the point of "self-defense" and the renowned "grey man (or kid)" solution.

Just kick them in the solar plexus and run off. And go where there are tonnes of people, which is sometimes the playground, the towel line, or any other place, just to be safe.

This ain't my regular train of thought, but you gotta do what you gotta do. :yes:

Josh

P.S. Wolf dog, maybe I'll consider the POM spray. Seems nice. :D

Yikes! That's horrible! You go thinking most people are like you, and then you realize there's an iceberg of really low life people...

Yikes! That's horrible! You go thinking most people are like you, and then you realize there's an iceberg of really low life people...

Horrifying, yes. Creepy, yes. Going to give me the shivers for the rest of the day, ABSOLUTELY yes. :lol:

I wouldn't hunt that place even if King Tut's vault was stashed there.

Josh

Back
Top Bottom