Just been a great day for me!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Early in the morning I wake up, check the forum and see I have an email from BuscaPlata.
Says I won the contest he was running, guess the age total of all his grandkids and great grandkids.
I just used my birth date 6/27 like I usually do, the answer was 629 so I was closest.
A coin ring is my prize, always wanted one so, yay!
Silversmith won one he made recently in another contest and posted a pic, he does quality work.

Then a bit later I get a package in the mail and in it is a new watch.
I bought an automatic Seiko 5 from Island Watch about a year ago but it never worked right, kept stopping.
I quit wearing it and pretty much forgot about it because I have other watches but then I remembered and contacted the owner, Marc.
Since I bought it Seiko discontinued this model and even though there are still many around in the retail pipeline he didn't carry it because he has a fast turnover and he only carries the new Seiko 5 line now which I didn't want for several reasons.
I could have gotten mine repaired but not happy with that, in the meantime Marc started his own watch line and originally started with just divers but a few months ago he came out with the Aviator line, Pilot or Flieger style which was close in style to the Seiko model I had...but better.
Better movements, better sapphire crystal, better leather band, a way better value than that Seiko 5, old or new models..
I asked if I could upgrade and he agrees, pay the difference between what I paid and what his new one costs and done deal.
Love this thing, NH35 movement, thick comfortable leather band, ar coated sapphire crystal, screw down crown for 100m water resistance, full great lume and a beautiful blue dial with nothing else written and absolutely no branding on the dial so totally readable cause it's a pilot watch.

photostudio_1600126180047.jpg

To put the cherry on the cake ordered and got a great deal on a new detector, actually discontinued but new to me, anyway, an F5 with two concentric coils and a Nel Sharpshooter coil to boot.
Going to be my new jewelry sniffer, has almost as good a reputation for excelling at that as the Compadre.
Got the F70 but this is different, many similar features but lower in frequency and I have always found a ton of jewelry, especially gold, with my lower frequency F2 than any others, weird as that may sound.
Love my F70 but I think the F5 will be just as sensitive and just as deep here but with a little more stable ID's in my hot soil.

I will get it Thursday, should be out finding that gold by Thursday afternoon.

It HAS been a great day!

Early in the morning I wake up, check the forum and see I have an email from BuscaPlata.
Says I won the contest he was running, guess the age total of all his grandkids and great grandkids.
I just used my birth date 6/27 like I usually do, the answer was 629 so I was closest.
A coin ring is my prize, always wanted one so, yay!
Silversmith won one he made recently in another contest and posted a pic, he does quality work.

Then a bit later I get a package in the mail and in it is a new watch.
I bought an automatic Seiko 5 from Island Watch about a year ago but it never worked right, kept stopping.
I quit wearing it and pretty much forgot about it because I have other watches but then I remembered and contacted the owner, Marc.
Since I bought it Seiko discontinued this model and even though there are still many around in the retail pipeline he didn't carry it because he has a fast turnover and he only carries the new Seiko 5 line now which I didn't want for several reasons.
I could have gotten mine repaired but not happy with that, in the meantime Marc started his own watch line and originally started with just divers but a few months ago he came out with the Aviator line, Pilot or Flieger style which was close in style to the Seiko model I had...but better.
Better movements, better sapphire crystal, better leather band, a way better value than that Seiko 5, old or new models..
I asked if I could upgrade and he agrees, pay the difference between what I paid and what his new one costs and done deal.
Love this thing, NH35 movement, thick comfortable leather band, ar coated sapphire crystal, screw down crown for 100m water resistance, full great lume and a beautiful blue dial with nothing else written and absolutely no branding on the dial so totally readable cause it's a pilot watch.

View attachment 471871

To put the cherry on the cake ordered and got a great deal on a new detector, actually discontinued but new to me, anyway, an F5 with two concentric coils and a Nel Sharpshooter coil to boot.
Going to be my new jewelry sniffer, has almost as good a reputation for excelling at that as the Compadre.
Got the F70 but this is different, many similar features but lower in frequency and I have always found a ton of jewelry, especially gold, with my lower frequency F2 than any others, weird as that may sound.
Love my F70 but I think the F5 will be just as sensitive and just as deep here but with a little more stable ID's in my hot soil.

I will get it Thursday, should be out finding that gold by Thursday afternoon.

It HAS been a great day!

Congrats in the win,and the prize. Nice timepiece.. And congrats on the f5,,nicest interface ever made imo. Heck,all fishers have the best faces on them. But the f5 has found me some oldies in places I thought I pounded,even a slq. What I liked the best is the gain and threshold are running and adjustable in disc mode like the f70.You made a great Choice,looking forward to your finds

Congrats in the win,and the prize. Nice timepiece.. And congrats on the f5,,nicest interface ever made imo. Heck,all fishers have the best faces on them. But the f5 has found me some oldies in places I thought I pounded,even a slq. What I liked the best is the gain and threshold are running and adjustable in disc mode like the f70.You made a great Choice,looking forward to your finds

Thanks!
A new cool ring, a cool new watch and a cool new detector...with knobs!
If you say the F5 is good I will totally believe you.
You have used a couple detectors in the past so...experience.

Congrats !!!! .....sounds like you had Christmas in September ! :present: :lol:

Yep.
I asked BuscaPlata what Christmas was like at home with 28 grandkids and 12 great grandkids.
He says extremely crowded and very expensive.

Congrats on winning the coin ring! I love my Seiko 5!

Hey, the SNGZ...that's the exact one I had that wasn't working that I traded!
Black version, I like your green one.
Wish it worked, loved this thing, one of the most popular, lowest priced, best valued automatic watches out there along with the SNK and both are the top 2 sellers on Amazon, plus Seiko lume is legendary...and I love my lume.
Still might get one someday, like I said like my new F5 they have been discontinued but still a ton in the pipeline and probably will be for awhile but since they were discontinued unlike the F5 prices aren't dropping...theyre rising.

I thought it was perfect in form and function...the 7s26 movement just lacked hacking and hand winding but not actually needed.
Have you seen the new Seiko 5 models?
Upgraded the movement, finally, have a million new styles but jacked up all the prices sky high...and yet still no sapphire crystal.
Seiko seems to be slowly repositioning their whole company upline...they want some of that Swiss-like money, or something.
Good for them, I just refuse to pay their much higher prices when I can get better value elsewhere.

Thanks!
A new cool ring, a cool new watch and a cool new detector...with knobs!
If you say the F5 is good I will totally believe you.
You have used a couple detectors in the past so...experience.

Yep.
I asked BuscaPlata what Christmas was like at home with 28 grandkids and 12 great grandkids.
He says extremely crowded and very expensive.

my god! someone's been busy! ..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Congrats and nice to see someone else who appreciates a good watch! There are some great videos out there of people who do really impressive work on seiko 5's, really take them to another level.
My one watch, which I do not wear enough, is a hamilton khaki field automatic chrono day date from around 2004, black dial on a nice brown leather band. I really like the classic styled mechanical watches!

yay! i swing an F5 and can't wait to follow your reports!

also, awesome on the contest and watch!

Congrats and nice to see someone else who appreciates a good watch! There are some great videos out there of people who do really impressive work on seiko 5's, really take them to another level.
My one watch, which I do not wear enough, is a hamilton khaki field automatic chrono day date from around 2004, black dial on a nice brown leather band. I really like the classic styled mechanical watches!

A Hamilton Khaki, probably one day...great value on a Swiss watch.
Modding is cool, a very large community and parts for the hugely popular Seiko SKX divers...yobokies parts and all.
Thought about that one but got an Orient Mako USA ll instead, in house movement, much better specs...mostly.
200 meters but not ISO certified.
Great watch except for the bezel which sucks.
Going to order a better coin edge bezel with a lumed ceramic insert and fix it myself.
Then it will be perfect.

Attachments

• photostudio_1600536696242.jpg
    photostudio_1600536696242.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
yay! i swing an F5 and can't wait to follow your reports!

also, awesome on the contest and watch!

Thank yew!

Two hunts, learning that the F5 is different and...great!
Not real popular like it used to be but many still have them and use them so I will still probably post the stuff I learn in my review thread in case they are interested...but most probably know way more than me at this point.
I can learn too, if the community contributes.
My insanely long F2 thread was fun and popular for a lot of owners and that one seemed helpful so, why not?

That one went 7 years so far, 35 pages, 326,601 views, 1,386 replies...crazy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom