Computer Virus Alert!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
Just had a frightening scare on my laptop computer. A screen (looking like a Microsoft screen) popped up over my Internet Explorer and started talking to me telling me I had a virus and that it was sending my credit information out to who knows where (#1 I don't use credit cards on the Internet) and said to call a specific number and if I didn't it would LOCK my computer if I left the page. I couldn't close the page AT ALL. So I unplugged the computer completely (disconnected connection to the Internet too) and took it to a computer repair shop -- no cost to me because it was a simple fix! I was told to NEVER CALL THE NUMBER OR IT WOULD GIVE ME A VIRUS because then the party on the other end would access my computer and then that's when I would get the virus!!!!!! To get out of this page is simple. Just move your cursor to the bottom of the page to a blank area on your TASK BAR. Right mouse click and select TASK MANAGER and then the task manager will open and you will see your Internet program listed at the top of the list (mine is IE). Highlight it and then move the cursor to the bottom right and select END TASK. This will close the Internet screen. Problem solved -- but check to see if your homepage has changed. Mine reset to MSN instead of Google.

The tech also told me that there is another Microsoft looking screen that might come up at another time (which I have seen) that is also a virus if you act on it. I have my updater turned off. A blue Microsoft looking screen comes up periodically that says on it that I have not UPDATED my Windows 8.1 in over 30 days and to please click here to UPDATE your Windows. DON'T. You'll get a virus! Just close the screen!

Thanks for the info & reminder about spoof pages. If you need to go to some site, never click the link, close the browser, reopen it and type in the correct address yourself.
Then you won't end up at a spoof website through a spoofed link.

Task Manager is always your friend when a website tries to hold you, or the page freezes. Immediately open your Task Manager and close the web page (End Process)

Thanks for the warning ! I seldom use the PC off sometimes for a month . When I do check it ,I have a update notice not Microsoft , a shield or something .
I love the I pad , hassle free so far . ,,,,,HH

Thanks for the warning ! I seldom use the PC off sometimes for a month . When I do check it ,I have a update notice not Microsoft , a shield or something .
I love the I pad , hassle free so far . ,,,,,HH

I'm with you Ricki, I love the iPad.....however, I do have, and maintain, three other computers (1 desktop & 2 laptops), all of which are running Norton Internet Security (NIS), and all of which are updated on a regular basis. NIS, Windows, and my browser. As for security, not saying that NIS is the best, but just saying you need something of this type, and IMHO, one is foolish to venture onto the internet, without some kind of "similar" protection.

Also, I question the part about calling the phone number. I'm surprised that a computer tech, insinuated that calling from a phone, would give the OP a virus on their computer (?). I've got a cell phone (old model flip phone), that I may use 5 minutes a month, and less than 5 people in the world, even know my number. I wouldn't hesitate to call anyone, and I just don't believe, that whoever, could "voodo" a virus over to one of my computers. If so, I stand corrected, and I'm going to become paranoid!

Someone please straighten me out here......(and I'm NOT talking about calling from a smart phone, where one may also connect to the internet)

Not being critical, but everyone just breezed by this phone comment, so now I'm curious !

. . .Also, I question the part about calling the phone number. I'm surprised that a computer tech, insinuated that calling from a phone, would give the OP a virus on their computer (?). I've got a cell phone (old model flip phone), that I may use 5 minutes a month, and less than 5 people in the world, even know my number. I wouldn't hesitate to call anyone, and I just don't believe, that whoever, could "voodo" a virus over to one of my computers. If so, I stand corrected, and I'm going to become paranoid!

Someone please straighten me out here......(and I'm NOT talking about calling from a smart phone, where one may also connect to the internet)

Not being critical, but everyone just breezed by this phone comment, so now I'm curious !

Actually the ACT of just CALLING them will NOT give you a virus. But they will pretend to be an actual Microsoft Tech and someone who is vulnerable and not computer literate would allow them to "remotely access" their computer to "remove" the "so-called" virus (that isn't there yet). And when they DO access the computer they will PUT a virus on the person's computer!

Actually the ACT of just CALLING them will NOT give you a virus. But they will pretend to be an actual Microsoft Tech and someone who is vulnerable and not computer literate would allow them to "remotely access" their computer to "remove" the "so-called" virus (that isn't there yet). And when they DO access the computer they will PUT a virus on the person's computer!

Ok, that makes it a bit clearer. I'm sure you know now, by now, that if anyone tells you to dial a number in an email, don't do it. Likewise, don''t click on any email links, unless the mail is from someone you absolutely know, and, you are expecting an email from that person. Otherwise, go look up a phone number for the company, and call the place, or person, and ask you question direct. Most of that stuff is a hoax, anyway.

Good luck.....

Last year, they called me, twice! They claimed to be from Microsoft tech support and that my computer had been sending their support center messages that it was infected. Both of these so called Microsoft techs had heavy Indian accents, possible since Microsoft is a heavy user of H1-B visas, but of course, this was a scam.

So, both times I strung them along, asking them questions about the process they where asking me to follow. After about 15 minutes on the phone, I finally told them that I thought this wasn't going to work. Very indignantly they asked me "why not?". After a long pause I said, "because I am on a Mac". They hung up.

Because I 'm ON MAC ! :lol: :lol: Love that Rudy !
Reef Runner , Flip phone , thought I was the only one left . :grin: My I pad travels with me , I like using it where ever I go . It is a pain for posting pic's , but I don't mess with that anyway . ,,,,,HH

Because I 'm ON MAC ! :lol: :lol: Love that Rudy !
Reef Runner , Flip phone , thought I was the only one left . :grin: My I pad travels with me , I like using it where ever I go . It is a pain for posting pic's , but I don't mess with that anyway . ,,,,,HH

Same here.....love the iPad, and I too, like to take it with me everywhere. Main problem I see with the pics is, they are too big. I just send them over to my laptop, resize them, and send them back. That's a pain, and I wish I could figure out how to resize them here (iPad Pro). I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't figured it out yet...

OP.....sorry about the short hijack !

All the MAC users I know are running a Windows emulator (Parallels mostly) so why not just get Windows in the first place unless you do a lot of multimedia work?

I get those notices a lot. I just hit Ctrl, Alt and Del. That takes me to the task manager where I close it out. Lately my computer has been telling me that I have an urgent problem but when I go to the anti-virus it tells me that everything is fine.

Last edited:
Last year, they called me, twice! They claimed to be from Microsoft tech support and that my computer had been sending their support center messages that it was infected. Both of these so called Microsoft techs had heavy Indian accents, possible since Microsoft is a heavy user of H1-B visas, but of course, this was a scam.

So, both times I strung them along, asking them questions about the process they where asking me to follow. After about 15 minutes on the phone, I finally told them that I thought this wasn't going to work. Very indignantly they asked me "why not?". After a long pause I said, "because I am on a Mac". They hung up.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::lol: that's awesome!

This is one of the many reasons why I use things like NoScript and RequestPolicy in my web browser. It makes viewing some sites a real pain in the derriere, but, better safe than sorry.

My father is always getting viruses. He clinks links in emails from his "friends". I keep telling him NOT to clink on links in any email that he gets, regardless of who sends it. He says he doesn't. But, he does. If he doesn't, where is he getting the viruses I ask? He has already had the hard drive lock 3 times. At least he has resisted the urge to collect that money those Nigerian Princes want to give him...

Same here.....love the iPad, and I too, like to take it with me everywhere. Main problem I see with the pics is, they are too big. I just send them over to my laptop, resize them, and send them back. That's a pain, and I wish I could figure out how to resize them here (iPad Pro). I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't figured it out yet...

OP.....sorry about the short hijack !

No Problem! :D

This is one of the many reasons why I use things like NoScript and RequestPolicy in my web browser. It makes viewing some sites a real pain in the derriere, but, better safe than sorry.

My father is always getting viruses. He clinks links in emails from his "friends". I keep telling him NOT to clink on links in any email that he gets, regardless of who sends it. He says he doesn't. But, he does. If he doesn't, where is he getting the viruses I ask? He has already had the hard drive lock 3 times. At least he has resisted the urge to collect that money those Nigerian Princes want to give him...

Even emails that SEEM to be coming from someone you know may be faked to make it look as if someone you knew sent it. So unless you are expecting to receive something from a friend I would NOT click on any link in the email.

Even reputable companies can have their links "spoofed" in an email and take you to a fake web site, so it is better to type the URL in manually for the company.

Back
Top Bottom