Gold !#2 for the year!

Ara claims they give 98% spot gold. The coin store less for sure,probably 75%
I always use Ara....Until I get a E bay account.

Also, while I have occasionally sold rings at spot on eBay, paying a 10% fee to eBay and a 3% fee to PayPal always made it worse than selling to ARA. I even had one gold ring auction off at 90% of spot... meaning I only took home 77%. Was horrible.

Unless you have a fixed price auction for a ring well above spot, you can expect to not make as much, because scrapers or stackers won't pay more than spot!

Also, while I have occasionally sold rings at spot on eBay, paying a 10% fee to eBay and a 3% fee to PayPal always made it worse than selling to ARA. I even had one gold ring auction off at 90% of spot... meaning I only took home 77%. Was horrible.

Unless you have a fixed price auction for a ring well above spot, you can expect to not make as much, because scrapers or stackers won't pay more than spot!

Your right about feebay ,but I will tell you this....Back in 2012 I found a 22k necklace, I took it
to a gold dealer there in a mall and they offered me $175.00. I sent it to ARA and recieved $350.00!
Big difference!
Also I send all my stuff U.S.P.S. no insurance basic rate.:D

Last edited:

I wouldn't be trying to sell scrap on eBay. To me, it's more for name jewelry (T&Co) or things that are in good condition... i.e. marketing to people who are looking to buy jewelry as opposed to scrappers.

R5

Looks like a home-made surfer's ring for sure. Looks weighty. Nice rescue!

Was going to ask if the coin dealer told you the weight. I see you don't have a test kit or scale. Dude! Invest in both, test, and THEN take it to the coin dealer. Otherwise you'll never know if you're getting a fair price.

My scrap? I still have all of it. Waiting patiently for gold to go back up as I find more.

R5

They do give 98% spot on what comes out of the refining process. It is NOT Bbased on the weight and stamp. There is ALWAYS some smal loss during refining... and then tack onto the fact that not all 14k is exactly plumb... you may have 13.6k for example. THEN calculate the cost of shipping something insured. And what you get is $6-8 in shipping costs, a few percentage points lost in refining, and a slight percentage loss possible in the quality of gold and you end up making only about 90% of the spot value of what your ring calculated on your scale at home. I'm just saying don't be surprised if the weight of the ring is 6 grams of 14k and you only end up With a percentage of gold that is less than 58.5% of the original weight (14k). You might percent out at 56%. And only recover material of 5.8 grams (refining loss)... And then they lay 98% of spot price on the actual gold

Hope that makes sense. They are impeccably honest, but you shouldn't expect 98% of your home weight. Only one time did I ever end up with a gold ring that was slightly higher karat that the 14k stamped. Every other time the value came up to about 90-92% of my pre-weights.

Hope this helps.

Skippy

That was my exact experience with ARA... Now I sell locally to a place that pays about 85% of my home weight, he also weighs it with the stones, junk or not.. Also kicks in a premium for some of the real ice too..

With that said, some rings might equal ARA...

No waiting and wondering for me...

<°)))>{

more info

I decided to check the vdi of this gold ring on my atp and its 64 ! Thats
my first ring in the pulltab range!:shock:

That's an Oldie

WTG... I dug one like that at a NYC Beach. You got to love the old gold rings... They stand out from the modern ones...

Philo

Great save! I haven't seen gold from my surfers yet,,, some silver like you though.

Just got a check in from ARA with less than a week turn around. I requested an advance but they sent the entire settlement. I have a ring marked 18k that tests out 17K using specific gravity. That would be over $20 less than I calculated on just one ring, so yes, you won't always get 98%.

Yummy butter found by my Soveriegn at the surfer
Beach,aka silver ring beach.
My first gold found here! I wasn't sure it was gold but the coin store tested
It and said 14 k, we'll give you $120.00
I said no. It will go to ara.:yes::cool12::gettinmoney::whoohoo:
Other ring was silver.

Frankly, that looks closer to 18K. It's pretty buttery yellow. But if it's 5grams or less, and it IS14K?! That $120 offer is better than you'll get out of ARA.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom