Sash Buckle

Suppo

Does anyone have know if this is part of a sash buckle? How about age?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 207
I can only give you a guess, but I think you have something a little more than a sash buckle. I can find one with the loop like yours but not the ensignia like yours. And, of course, the wreath part of the buckle would have the same loops. Nice find, hopefully someone will come along with more info for you. Any chance you can find the other half.

While none are known to have been recovered from shipwreck sites, this small and delicately fashioned Spanish naval buckle form is believed to have been used on a belt from which was suspended a dirk or dagger for formal, ceremonial, and off-duty use by Spanish naval and marine officers. Only the tongue components of this tongue-and-wreath interlocking buckle typology have thus far been reported. At least some of these cuprous buckles were originally plated with a faux silver white metal alloy. Examples have been recovered at Spanish occupation sites at Gálveztown, Louisiana and Pensacola, Florida. The anchor device embellishing the tongue is very similar to that which adorns both the anchor badge from the wrecksite of El Cazador (shown above) and the anchors included in the design of the 1802 pattern Spanish naval military buttons shown in the marked button section of this website. The dates of manufacture and use of this and other examples of the type are tentatively assigned to the ca. 1790-1810 period.

http://www.artifacts.org/Fleetpage.htm

Attachments

• anchorbuktungsmall2.jpg
    anchorbuktungsmall2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 173
Back
Top Bottom