• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Permission to hunt an old farm

Lou-CT

Permission to hunt an old farm

I tracked down one of the owners who recently purchased a large farm, and went to see him today. I explained that i MD etc. We talked for awhile, and i asked for permission to metal detect on the property. he didn't seem too responsive so told him i would be willing to sign a liability waiver, and showed him the forms i downloaded from here.

He read the forms then said " If you trespass on someones property and break your leg, the property owner is not responsible for your injuries"

I was a little confused and asked him if he wanted me to trespass. He didn't answer. He then asked me how many times i want to MD the property, one, two?, to which i replied, "As many as you would allow me to"
He took the form, went to his desk and started to fill out the Permission to Metal Detect on Private Property form. He crossed out part of the last sentence where it says permission shall remain in effect until it's revoked in writing, and wrote in that it will remain in effect until Sept. 30, 2006.

He had me fill out the liability waiver form, he copied it, gave me a copy , i thanked him and went on my way.

Re: Permission to hunt an old farm

Sounds like  you got a  good  deal.  I  got written permission to hunt on an entire city property. I  did have an in with the town officials, and probably did'nt need  it, but took it  to the written part anyway.  When I detected 2 parks  that were  being  refurbed I found in access of 50 old coins plus other items.  What I did  with the goods  was keep  the  cherries  turned over 15  coins  to the city.  They are on display at City hall.  they included 3 barber coins, 2 quarters and a dime  2  winged libs, 2 rosies, a  v nickle, 2 buffalos and an assortment of pennies including an indian head. I put them in a  sucrets container  and  handed them to the mayors secretary.  My point being, a  gift of some of the booty towards  that landowners  grandkids  can go a long way towards  extending  that deadline of sept. 06.  Also  a nice  attitude toward his graciousness, showing him you removed  blown in and thrown in trash from the edges of his property as well ....Good luck.....Gil             leaving pic  large  so  reading will be easier on the eyes

Attachments

• ty note from Wauchula  city manager 001.jpg
    ty note from Wauchula city manager 001.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 353

Gil

Giving him some of my finds is a good idea. This property is huge, there's no way it can be covered in 3 months. I'm going to City hall to find out how big it is, and it's history.

I went to the farm yesterday to walk around the property. This farm has to be very old. There are pieces of broken dishes, old crocks, and cobalt glass everywhere you look, not to mention all the iron.

I detected the front of the property for about an hour and found some shot gun casings, a piece of cast iron from an old stove, a toy cap pistol, some clad pennies, and the usual trash.

There's no shade there, so i'm limited to early mornings, and evenings

Interesting story. No shade there Hmmm. If the house is still standing hunt the shady side of the house. No shade now probably no shade 100 years ago either. Everyone would have sat there to eat or rest.

here's what I researched this morning .

The property is farm LAND owned by the same family since 1916. The only structures on record since 1916 are 3 small sheds. The farmland is 12.5 acres ( which feels like 125 acres when you're standing in the middle of it) lol.

Facing the property there is State owned land to the left, houses on the right side,and the rear of the property borders City owned land.

There are some trees on the property border, but it is very heavily overgrown, and hard to get to them.

I'll do some research with the Hstorical Society and try to find some info. prior to 1916.

Back
Top Bottom