What pinpointer do you guys or gals like.

sigshooter71

I was looking to get a Garrett or a Makro. Right now I have a harbour freight, so either will be a huge upgrade. What are your opinions on reliability and features.

I like the regular Garrett propointer. It works fine for me and I don't use a pinpointer in the water or at the beach.

I also use the Garrett PP. A very nice upgrade from the HF model. I've not used any of the others, but don't think you can go wrong with any of the current popular ones.

I use a Garrett PP. I've got one I've had for 4-5 years with not a problem that mom now uses. I have a second one that had problems within a year that Garrett fixed late last year and so far so good.

I've had a chance to see the new Garrett PP AT, as well as a Makro just this last weekend. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but it SEEMED the new Garrett was lighter than the old model. The Makro I didn't really care for. I really didn't like the buttons on the end of it at all instead of on the shaft. That by itself was a dealbreaker.

I need to buy one more for the gf, but I think it's instead going to work this way. A new orange one will find it's way in my hand, and my current will become the one for the gf to use.

The only thing I ever REALLY hated about the original Garrett was not being able to just use vibration with no sound.

Detekniks X-pointer

My X-pointer works great for me, I'm very happy with mine finds things 3" down and beeps faster as you get closer. I've dropped it a few times and just keeps on ticking. Great price to. Big Boys Hobbies sent in 2 day's also.:blink:

Ive been using my Garrett pro pointer for years... ive used others as well but the pro pointer is definately my favorite. I find it to be the easiest and quickest to use. I dont know what I would do without my pro pointer.

for areas where waterproof is not needed I most definitely would vote for the TRX. For those who need the waterproof protection I would vote for the new Garrett. My experience with the makro taught me that having to use two hands to operate it made it very inconvenient to use and it was lacking in sensitivity. The one touch (single hand) operation is so much better and easier to use.

I have both the Garrett Pro Pointer and the Whites Bullseye TRX. I like the Garrett better than the TRX because it sees from the sides and makes finding targets much quicker, which is the whole idea behind a pinpointer. I use the TRX in our city park where depth is the major concern.

I use a TRX, great depth and stable for a pinpointer, the tip only sensing
does not bother me. The TRX is a great tool and fun to use.
Pinpointers really add to the hobby, a must have.

The X-Pointer is a good pinpointer but some have complained about it not being sensitive to small gold. I am primarily a coinshooter so that doesn't bother me. I prefer the TRX and will get another one when I can afford it.

I have owned the propointer, trx, profind and the deteknix and for me personally the propointer is my favorite by far. that said, I just sold it and am awaiting the arrival of my propointerAT

I have both the Garrett Pro Pointer and the Whites Bullseye TRX. I like the Garrett better than the TRX because it sees from the sides and makes finding targets much quicker, which is the whole idea behind a pinpointer. I use the TRX in our city park where depth is the major concern.

Your analysis with the TRX and the ProPointer is exactly like mine. The ProPointer is quicker, especially after you get the target out of the hole in a pile of dirt. The TRX, due to it's tip-only detection and also takes added time down in the hole for targets that's within the ProPointers range. The beauty of the TRX is that it pinpoints above ground on deeper targets(3-5".) That's an advantage because it saves digging so many large-around holes. So I decided to carry my TRX along with an X-Pointer but I still own both of my Garretts and will carry it instead of the X-Pointer without thinking twice. The Garretts actually has a better tone than the X, but the X does see a little deeper.

The X-Pointer for the money has to make you think if you are money consious. It actually beats the Pro Pointer in depth by a slight margin, at least when it's new. I've not seen any video comparison between two brand new units with the ProPointer versus the X-pointer.

You can't go wrong with a Garretts ProPointer since it seems thay are becoming priced just $20 above the X-Pointer. It is American made. I would leave the Makro alone. If waterproof is important to you, then Garretts new yellow pointer is worth the cost. The TRX is fine for it's depth ability but slows me down as a standalone pointer. I only want to get down on my knees one time, and get back up asap, old bones and joints The TRX won't do that for me for the style I use. martin

What about for someone with hearing loss that can't hear the beeps well, and likes to hunt saltwater beaches? Has anyone tried that Nokta pp from Turkey?

Back
Top Bottom