Going Wireless

jimz49

I've been wanting to go wireless with my headphones and was wondering if anyone has found a module unit similar to what minelab has for their ctx3030. what I mean is rather than going with headphones that are wireless, I would like to have a wireless module where I can plug any headphone into. That way I can use different headphones and still be wireless. I'm assuming if minelab can do it some savy tech out there can figure out a way to do it.

I've been using Bluetooth for the past few years, work fine for me. Every time this comes in, at least one member will chime in about lag, latency, or delay. If it exists, it can be more than a couple of milliseconds. Might notice it watching a video, but not an issue talking on the phone, or metal detecting. Bluetooth 4.0 came out last year, so you might snag what you need on the cheap, as they clear out the older versions. My transmitter is 2.1, and will probably get a 3.0 or higher, if I see a good deal.

Great thing about Bluetooth, vast assortment of headphones, earbuds, earpieces to choose from. Also receivers to plug in your favorited corded versions. Most digital wireless solutions offered here, you are stuck with the headphones married to the transmitter, and you can't simply replace one or the other, you have to replace the whole setup. I use a single earpiece, just like leaving one ear open, and aware of whats going on around me.

Bluetooth sounds like a solution. Do you have any recommendations for a transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack and a receiver with a headphone jack? I've seen the usb transmitters for computers that is nice and small, something like that would be great if it worked with a headphone jack.

I believe you plug the transmitter into the detector, the headset has/is the receiver. My brother uses the TDK's on his Etrac and loves them.

What I'm looking for is a receiver module that works the same as minelab's receiver module. One where you can plug regular headphones (not wireless headphones) into it. Then there would be a separate transmitter that would be plugged into the headphone jack of the detector. I've read some on the fm transmitter/receiver and they appear to be bulky. I'm aware of the radio shack wireless headphones and others that are similar and they are not what I'm looking for.

Although minelab's wireless module is proprietary it seem that a similar product could be made for very little money that would work the same.

What I'm looking for is a receiver module that works the same as minelab's receiver module. One where you can plug regular headphones (not wireless headphones) into it. Then there would be a separate transmitter that would be plugged into the headphone jack of the detector. I've read some on the fm transmitter/receiver and they appear to be bulky. I'm aware of the radio shack wireless headphones and others that are similar and they are not what I'm looking for.

Although minelab's wireless module is proprietary it seem that a similar product could be made for very little money that would work the same.

This is what we both want
http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?73200-Universal-Wireless-transmitter-and-receiver

The reason I'm looking for either a "how to build" article or an already to use device is when I had my CTX3030 I used a pair of Detector Pro Uniprobe headphones that I used with minelab's wireless module. That was great. I could hang the module off my belt and the cord from the headphones would hang over my shoulder and down my back where it would plug into the module. The probe could be put in my back pocket and there were no cords/cables attached to the detector. For me this was an ideal setup. The ctx is gone, but the desire to have a similar setup for my other detectors lives on.

The reason I'm looking for either a "how to build" article or an already to use device is when I had my CTX3030 I used a pair of Detector Pro Uniprobe headphones that I used with minelab's wireless module. That was great. I could hang the module off my belt and the cord from the headphones would hang over my shoulder and down my back where it would plug into the module. The probe could be put in my back pocket and there were no cords/cables attached to the detector. For me this was an ideal setup. The ctx is gone, but the desire to have a similar setup for my other detectors lives on.

The FM transmitter I posted works very well with a quality walkman.
I am currently modifying the input to allow for 2 different levels of padding (input volume) since the Coimaster GT I use it on has a different audio amp than the DFX.
I will update the DIY FM link but this solution requires basic electronics knowledge. If you want to give it a shot I will try and help you in anyway I can. The transmitter is a kit, and only requires soldering skills.. putting it in a box requires some other mechanical skills. PM if you need help

tdk 700 question

I have an At Pro, and to wire the 700's to the detector I first had to buy the cable from the garrett connector to 1/4" (good size cable),1/4" to mini, then it would not work plugged directly in 700's small transmitter so i had to get a volume control to add also. It works great, but my question is how to you get all that cable, with the transmitter to fit under the unit. I am using cable ties, velcro but it is still out in the open exposed to dirt and weather. Has anyone put all this inside some type of case and mounted that to the detector. Thanks for the help.

my setup for atpro and tdk 700

This is what I made up to protect my wireless setup. I used a small fishing box to put my tdk transmitter and volume control inside. This keeps my transmitter dry, clean and safe when laying detector on ground. It also gives me the option that if it starts raining I can unplug the box and keep the transmitter dry in my pocket. The headsets still work great and as soon as this weeks 3 feet of snow melts I will check it outside.

zHl8NCg.jpg

WZyaVEL.jpg

JIIOtba.jpg

Back
Top Bottom