What do you do with your finds?

1/ the beautifull ones get a place in my displaycabinet (or how do i call it?)
2/ the less beautifuller but still nice i keep in boxes
3/ the rest some old and sure the new stuff i sometimes sell or often give away (kids are fund of musketballs)
4/ trashmetal (unrecognisable parts, copper, lead, etc) i sell at the metaltrader
5/ real trash ends in the trashbin

Only a handful of us will find items that museum's covet. So far I've kept anything I found, but once I think gold and silver have hit their peak I'll probably sell much of my jewelry.

Word is, after the G-20 meeting, gold will become the world's default currency........not the dollar. It still may keep rising for that reason alone.

Dusty

now we start treading in the realms of conspiracy theories and the NWO but don't get me started on that.

We actually have a guy that buys up all broken and odd pieces of gold from us and we make some money from that so I cannot wait to find a gold ring in the sand somewhere before I have to give off my wedding band.

now we start treading in the realms of conspiracy theories and the NWO but don't get me started on that.

We actually have a guy that buys up all broken and odd pieces of gold from us and we make some money from that so I cannot wait to find a gold ring in the sand somewhere before I have to give off my wedding band.

Be sure to call around to pawn shops and jewelry stores to see who will give you the best rate. Maybe this guy is giving a good return, but you don't know for sure unless you check.

For instance, in the USA I know of places that will give you as little as 15% of melt value on gold, and I know of ones that pay 95-98%.

Just wondering what happens after you find something. do you keep the items or donate them to museums are sell them?

I have heard stories of guys donating their finds to museums and others selling the items to pay for their next searches.

What do you do?

I have donated one item to a museum, most of the rest they wouldn't
want.
I have only ever sold one coin (a silver hammered), and that was to a
fellow club member. I still wish I'd kept it.

The good coins and artefacts are in a small filing cabinet I bought from
Staples.

Most of the remainder are in bags, with location and date of find written on them.

Be sure to call around to pawn shops and jewelry stores to see who will give you the best rate. Maybe this guy is giving a good return, but you don't know for sure unless you check.

For instance, in the USA I know of places that will give you as little as 15% of melt value on gold, and I know of ones that pay 95-98%.

yeah we know he makes more than what he is paying us but we et it slide as he scratches our back and we his.

I have donated one item to a museum, most of the rest they wouldn't
want.
I have only ever sold one coin (a silver hammered), and that was to a
fellow club member. I still wish I'd kept it.

The good coins and artefacts are in a small filing cabinet I bought from
Staples.

Most of the remainder are in bags, with location and date of find written on them.

so the ones you kept will you pass them down to your children one day or when the time is right will you sell them?

Yup, the Cash4Gold ads you see on TV are a total lie. The ARA company in Dallas is supposed to pay 98% on gold, I'm going to try them out after the holidays. My nuggets are burning a hole in my pocket!!

Dusty

thanks beest, I need to know what to do should I be so lucky as to find something valuable or even semi valuable.

language barier. sorry i misunderstood you :no:

by mij opinion, depends on how much the value is.
can ik mis that amount of money to keep the nice finding, or can i use that kind amount of money? $50 or less probably is a keeper (until i need the money. hopefuly never), if millions i don't have to think ...... "SALE!!!!" . don't want millions worth laying in my humble home.

selling at musea? only if the are involved. over here archeological interesting (500yo+) must be reported. if a museum wants it they get it, and independant taxing-people make te price.

musea don't want everything (will pay zero) cause they already have so much.
so i have some museum-worthy items in my cabinet. roman, early middle-age. but as they don't want them there worth what u give me for it.

sometimes i sell some small unimportant things for paying something new i want for this hobby.

If you put your nicer finds on a display - be it table top or wall hanging - you will see them frequently and appreciate them and they will make you want to get out for more. Steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom