Remembering my Grandpa, a WW2 vet.

nostalgia083

I love history, it's what got me into metal detecting. I like to remember my Grandfather. He was a kind, loving, gentle giant. He's been gone since 2004, but I think of him often. I'll forever carry my memories of him and the talks we had.
I was just 20 when he passed on.

My Grandfather grew up poor and served our country in WW2. He was enlisted at Camp Forrest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Forrest

He didn't really talk much about the war. He told me he was in Okinawa, Korea and the Philippines.

I have some of his military manuals that he had when he was in the war and a world globe. He was wounded and lived the rest of his life with a bullet in his leg and throat but he got along well! He earned various medals.
I also have a quilt his mother made. Even after all these years it's in great shape and keeps me warm in winter.

My Grandpa is on the left, hands at his side.

Z1QYxsq.jpg

5BLqKdN.jpg

b4emNHS.jpg

MQdiRJp.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. God bless him and all the veterans. I never met my paternal grandfather. He passed away well before I was born. He was in Europe and North Africa during WWII.

Take care!

Thanks for the story. Those men did more for this country than these kids today realize , and it's a real shame that they do not get the recognition that they so very much deserve. My grandfather was in the Army , stationed at Pearl Harbor , but he got out of the Army in 1939 , and was recalled and scheduled to go back into service the day the war ended . That's a true story. So his re enlistment was canceled.
At my American Legion Post , we lost 3 WW11 veterans this month . So if know one of these guys , thank them before its to late .

Thank you for your story and I'm grateful to your Grandfather and the other Veterans that served and to the ones that paid the Ultimate Sacrifice so I may have the freedom I have today. God Bless and God Bless AMERICA.

Thanks also ! My late dad was born same year.
Talking of bullets my dad said that his rifle stock in the war got a bullet and shattered the wood that probably saved him.

They were called "The greatest generation" for a reason :yes:

Funny, I was going through some things of dads today (he passed-away 3 years ago, last month), and found a small Bible that was his dads (who was born in the 1890's).

Grandpa was in WWI
My dad was in WWII
and I had 3 Cousins in Viet Nam

The back few pages of the Bible had been written in, stating where that Bible had been/which war, who was carrying it at the time, and the dates.

It's posts like this one that will help keep their memory alive and remembered for years to come. I encourage anyone here to post the stories of your friends or relatives from our greatest generation.

Men like your grandfather and the other heroes mentioned here are why at every opportunity I'll cover a vet's bill at a restaurant.

My father served in WWII and Korea. Will he talk about it? NEVER.

My mother is in the Library Of Congress as one of the best quiltmakers of the 20th century, state champion 4 times and she got 3rd place in the national quilt show in Washington DC.

My father served in WWII and Korea. Will he talk about it? NEVER.

My mother is in the Library Of Congress as one of the best quiltmakers of the 20th century, state champion 4 times and she got 3rd place in the national quilt show in Washington DC.

I wish to God I was able to get my father to open a p more before he passed. Too late now. You can get his service records online and it may be a good place to start to get him to open up.

My dad's a WWII vet. Captured during the Battle Of The Bulge, 5 months in a POW camp. He has no problems telling stories all about it and never has. The problem is now that he's 92 his stories have changed. I just let hm tell them his way but figure the way he used to tell it was probably the way it happened.

Back
Top Bottom