When research pays off. US 2 Cent piece

Mg240

I was looking at old maps online in the fall, and found a home sure that no longer had a house. The map I found was from 1957 so I had no idea how old it was. The land now is farm fields and several different tree lines nearby. Also a stand of old growth pines that were in neat rows. On my first outing in the fall, I noted a couple of stone foundations. The first time swinging the At Pro, it was mostly iron and aluminum cans. So I moved into the pines where I found a very worn V nickel I could only make out 18xx. Then I found a victorian brooch with stones. Fast forward to today. I noted a break in a wire fence that had two posts that were taller, thinking it was an entry point. I swing a couple time and got deep iron, on my 3rd swing I hit a solid 80 @ 6in. I dug down in wet clay and pulled out this quarter sized coin, it was caked with mud but I could see part of a wreath, so I was thinking Large Cent? I checked the hole again and got a faint high tone and when I moved forward a few inches it became a solid 84 ajd it was the 43 Merc 4 inches away. Crazy!

I was looking at old maps online in the fall, and found a home sure that no longer had a house. The map I found was from 1957 so I had no idea how old it was. The land now is farm fields and several different tree lines nearby. Also a stand of old growth pines that were in neat rows. On my first outing in the fall, I noted a couple of stone foundations. The first time swinging the At Pro, it was mostly iron and aluminum cans. So I moved into the pines where I found a very worn V nickel I could only make out 18xx. Then I found a victorian brooch with stones. Fast forward to today. I noted a break in a wire fence that had two posts that were taller, thinking it was an entry point. I swing a couple time and got deep iron, on my 3rd swing I hit a solid 80 @ 6in. I dug down in wet clay and pulled out this quarter sized coin, it was caked with mud but I could see part of a wreath, so I was thinking Large Cent? I checked the hole again and got a faint high tone and when I moved forward a few inches it became a solid 84 ajd it was the 43 Merc 4 inches away. Crazy!
9806036fe7eeb77156342b6a6e441e05.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Wow... It came out of the ground in great shape.. Congrats.. Sweet find

Those are great finds. Congratulations.

You didn't mention whether the land is public or whether you got permission to hunt it. Should I assume one of these or would you explain?

Those are great finds. Congratulations.

You didn't mention whether the land is public or whether you got permission to hunt it. Should I assume one of these or would you explain?
The land is land owned by a power station. Employees and family members have permission to be on the land. My Father in-law has worked there for 34 years.
The land is used for hunting
Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That has to be the best looking 2-cent that showed up here in a long time.

Had to be dropped early in life. Excellent shape! :yes:

Your story sounds identical to mine. Research/house/no house/plowed field...yielded (2) 2 cent coins, Indians, and relics from old ground.

Nice coin!!! Better shape than mine.

Attachments

• IMAG0233[1].jpg
    IMAG0233[1].jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,027
Back
Top Bottom