• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Found on Riverbank, Newburyport, Mass

MacDaddyFinds

Found this object at low tide along the Merrimack River, has a crude metal tip (whole item is metal)...any thoughts?

Attachments

• Full.jpg
    Full.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 582
  • Length.jpg
    Length.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 492
  • Metallic Tip.jpg
    Metallic Tip.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 481
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 480
Welcome to the forum MacDaddyFinds, from Boston. Merrimac River? Wish I could help with an ID.

Are you a Massachusetts Treasure Hunter? We were just in Newburyport last week for a day trip.

Good luck with the ID. Were you "mudlarking" at low tide on the river bed?

Jim

Strange whatever it is being so badly rusted and yet that one tip is perfectly corrosion free. What is that tip made of?

See this is your first post, welcome to the forum. Also noticed you mentioned the Merriamac river, the one that runs through Jefferson county Mo. by chance? If so howdy fellow Missourian.

Don

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk

Yes from the area, Haverhill. My daughter (13) and I took the metal detector she bought for my birthday out for the first time...many lead sinkers... and this.

luckily found with the detector and not the bottom of my daughter's foot!

Last edited:
the lack of corrosion on the tip is what drew my attention and made it a keeper...takes well to magnet...not sure of the metal content...crudely sharpened

Thanks for the info, funny thing is I grew up in Watertown and worked in Newton Highlands (Elliot Street DPW) during my college days...wish I started detecting back then!!

Strange whatever it is being so badly rusted and yet that one tip is perfectly corrosion free. What is that tip made of?

See this is your first post, welcome to the forum. Also noticed you mentioned the Merriamac river, the one that runs through Jefferson county Mo. by chance? If so howdy fellow Missourian.

Don

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk

Don... If you check the title of the original post, you'll notice it was found in Massachusetts. We also have a Merrimack River. Perhaps not spelled the same way as yours though.

Thanks for the info, funny thing is I grew up in Watertown and worked in Newton Highlands (Elliot Street DPW) during my college days...wish I started detecting back then!!

Very familiar with the Eliot Street DPW yard. I used to cut free firewood from city trees that were hauled over there. Our MTHA club meeting location is right in the center of Newton Highlands village, only half a mile from your old DPW work site.

Jim

Don... If you check the title of the original post, you'll notice it was found in Massachusetts. We also have a Merrimack River. Perhaps not spelled the same way as yours though.
Lol, that was a big oops oversight on my part. Self reminder; Don from now on when you notice someone asks a question on something already stated quit shaking your head with an eyeroll, your guilty too.[emoji13]

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Sometimes the thought of what it could be is better than what it actually is....In my daughters book it is the long lost connection between stone and metal fishing implements....:D

Sometimes the thought of what it could be is better than what it actually is....In my daughters book it is the long lost connection between stone and metal fishing implements....:D

She has an active imagination. As good as any other guess so far. Likely an item related to boating, fishing or water sports.

Jim

I like the idea, although the tip is so crudely sharpened....1 mile upstream is the oldest boat shop in the country to built dorys (Lowells Boat Shop)..could be on to something.

Probably onto something with the divider idea. Nautical, boat building area etc. I would suspect that the tip/point is stainless steel (invented in 1913). Dividers are used for both course plotting and in carpentry for inscribing profiles. The stainless tip would provide more wear resistance.
Some stainless steels are magnetic, ferritic as opposed to austenitic. I would also suspect that earlier stainless' were of the ferritic type.

Back
Top Bottom