Strange Chain

Diggum

Elite Member
I found this in Germany a few weeks ago. I ran it through the tumbler, expecting the coating to come off, and find brass underneath. However, it came out like this. It's not magnetic. Is it possible that this is stainless steel? And what might it have been used for?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20191016_195339.jpg
    20191016_195339.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 564
Curb chain for a horse.

"A curb chain, or curb strap, is a piece of horse tack required for proper use on any type of curb bit. It is a flat linked chain or flat strap that runs under the chin groove of the horse, between the bit shank's purchase arms.

It has a buckle or hook attachment and English designs have a "fly link" in the middle to hold a lip strap.

On English bridles the horse is bridled with the curb chain undone on one side, then connected once on the horse. On western bridles, the curb chain is kept buckled to both sides of the bit."

92% agreed.
8% chance for a shako chinstrap chain. Army or fanfare.

I have found several in the past normally where horses are stabled.

Although I did have to ask the landowner what they were, she knew because she had a riding school at her farm. The give away was the middle link in the chain for me now.

"It has a buckle or hook attachment and English designs have a "fly link" in the middle to hold a lip strap."

Last edited:
That's why i agreed 92%. But i rarely saw chinstrap chains with that one below, so i mentioned the option (to rule out).
In this case i also tend to go for horse.

Thank you all for weighing in, and sorry for the delayed reply.

I'll go with horse. My first thought was dog chain, but it seemed awfully heavy and intricate for that. I wondered if it could be a soldier's ornamental chain, as well. But horse tack makes sense!

Thanks, again!

Back
Top Bottom