SignaGraph: Say what?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
So I had a short time to hunt last night and strapped on the Super 12 and headed for the city park. In a very hard hit location I get a very confusing signal that was all over the VDI as well as the tones. Impossible to determine what it could be I fell back to the Spectrum series detectors failsafe. The SignaGraph. I set it for accumulate and a pattern begin to show. I made the call and did my recovery to find a small pocket spill of 2 wheats(1919 and 1935), a Wichita transportation token and a 1941 nickle and a small rusted piece of pipe. It was then I realized that a lot of Spectrum users have this very valuable tool, but may not know how to use it.

The SignaGraph is my failsafe when all other input fails. For those who aren't familiar with this feature, it is a bar graph on the lower portion of the display that takes the signal and builds a bar graph that can be used to help identify a target. It is akin to the Ferrous input on the minelabs with a plus. The plus is since it is a bar graph, and not numbers that refresh on each swing, each swing over the target builds a graph of the numbers from each swing. For example, if 5 swings were to give 5 different numbers, it would build a graph showing all the numbers received instead of the numbers changing each time. This makes building an average much easier than trying to remember the numbers on each swing.

If the target(s) is of ferrous(iron) content, each swing will begin to build up the graph in the ferrous range. If a good target is within the swing of a bad target, you will see it on the graph. Just as I did last night. The graph also can really help distinguish that gold target from the foil and tabs. I've taken some pictures to help explain how the SignaGraph works.

There are 3 adjustments for the SignaGraph. Graph Averaging, which takes the signals and builds you an average of all the signals received. Graph Accumulate which takes the signals and shows them all so you can spot the possible good in with the bad. The Fade Rate adjusts how long the graph is displayed before it fades or refreshes. Opps hit post too soon. The hight of the bars indicate the targets signal strength or depth.

Here is a picture showing a typical graph in the field. The scattered graph indicates junk but the build at the far right indicates a possible good target along with the junk. Bars to the left of center indicate a ferrous target while bars to the right of center indicate conductive targets.

sigrph1.jpg

Here is a typical graph of a 14k gold ring. Note the single bar that corresponds with the VDI number of 14. Also note that the Icons at the top right show possible foil or ring. A good indicator it is not foil or a tab. By the hight of the bar the target would be roughly 3" deep.

sigrph14k.jpg

This graph show a possible nickle/ring at roughly 5-6" deep. Notice as the target gets deeper you start to see more smearing of the bar graph, but you can still see the build indicates a good low conductive target even though the VDI is different on each swing and the tones are all over the scale.

sigrph14k2.jpg

Here is another typical graph of a good target(penny) with trash by it. The VDI jumps from -32 to +79 and the sound is hard to make a call from, but the build up of the bars on the far right(good area) outweigh the bars to the left indicating a probable good target at roughly 4-5".

sigrph2.jpg

Here shows a more than likely piece of foil. The pattern is smeared but the build up corresponds with the VDI number of 3, and the Icons matches as well.

sigrphfoil.jpg

Here is a graph showing a good clean dime signal at about 5". No smearing and even at 5" the bars are prominent in the dime range of the graph. Look at the graph as the center being 0. Anything to the left counts down as minus number to -95, and anything to the right of center(0) counts up to +95.

sigrphdime.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks detector. I just got a xlt and am still learning the signagraph. That helped explain alot better than the instructions that came with it.

Even only having my DFX for 2 weeks, I've learned to rely mainly on the signagraph as my first id of what my target is, followed by tone, followed by VDI, and lastly by icon... What has led me to rely more on the signagraph rather then all others is the 10-27 VDI range, with nickels, gold, pulltabs, and other random bits in that range, its very easy to just chase VDI numbers and you'll wind up with mostly foil and pulltabs thinking its a good target. If you follow the signagraph, your trash to treasure ratio in this VDI range will yield you much more treasure. Just 2 days ago, I pulled out approx. 25 targets in that range from an old lake, 16 were nickels, 2 gold rings, and only 7 or 8 pulltabs... signagraph is a godsend.

Oh course there is always a chance or error, but between the 3 forms of sound feedback(Audio quality, tones and size) and 5 visual forms of feedback(VDI number, Icons, SignaGraph, depth reading and ground phase), it really can increase your odds. thats 8 forms of feedback to base your decision to dig or not on.

Without a doubt I would not have recovered this small pocket spill had the SignaGraph not hinted to something good. The sound was typical of this trashy park as well as the VDI. This signal(s) had obviously been overlooked by the many detectors that have hammered this area including myself, because the coins were only about 4-5" deep, but the trash tricked the other forms of feedback. Not the SignaGraph.

Here is the coins that were hiding behind that piece of junk.

352009.jpg

Great little walkthrough! I don't use a detector with that feature, but I can see after reading how invaluable, though easily misunderstood, that feature is.

So, a gold ring will typically have a single or doubled bar vs. a scattered can slaw or tab reading? I havent been able to figure out the signagraph as of yet. This will be a super help in that range.

Great Info, What were you saying about the part-(It is akin to the Ferrous input on the minelabs with a plus) I use the Minelab Explorer II, I'm always wanting to learn new things..Just wondering what that means. Thanks

So, a gold ring will typically have a single or doubled bar vs. a scattered can slaw or tab reading?

On shallow targets you can typically see the difference between foil and gold, but can slaw and tabs can be a bit more tricky. It's important to watch the height of each bar as well as a tight pattern. Iron is easy to spot on the SignaGraph due to the smearing. Smearing being bars all along the graph from minus to plus.

Look at the SignaGraph as a sort of ground radar. The graph gives you a way to see all the responses at once. If you swing your coil and it passes over a nail, a piece of foil and a penny, you can see on the graph each target and it's depth. This swing may lead some to think they have a piece of junk, when it could be telling them they have multiple targets. Watching for the peaks will give you an idea of whats under the coil.

Well, I will have to say that that is the best explanation of what the signagraph does. I have read some books about the DFX and this is the best if not the only good explanation of this feature.
I do have one question though. You are saying that the wider the bar is the deeper it is? How do you determine what is a normal bar and what is a wider bar? If you look close at the bars you can see some dots as in a dot matrix. Some of the dots were maybe four across and some had more than that which I guess means that the target is deeper.

Cheers,
Bill

Its the heighth of the bar, not the width Bill, and that will only give you an idea.

Excellent Post Detector! I use the Signagraph conctantly on my DFX. You almost have to in really hot ground. Great explanation.

P.S. I ended up falling for an MXT as well, ill let you know how the comparison goes.

Thanks SauerKraut. Hmmmm I thought that the various heights indicated the signal strength in that VDI range of a target and didn't realize that it indicated depth also.

Bill

detectordude, SauerKraut has it right. It's the height of the bar. A single bar indicates the target has a very tight frequency ID, and the height indicates approximate depth. If the bar is about halfway from the top then the target is producing that frequency at a depth of roughly 5". If you have multiple bars tight together, generally what you see on a deeper target, look at the height of the bars, if they show the target to be fairly deep(halfway or less tall) then very possibly a good deep target. If the same multiple bars(with a tight pattern) are very high, which indicate a shallow target, chances are it's not a coin.

Swinging the coil over a target multiple times with Graph Accumulate will show multiple targets as well as building high bars over the strongest target. You can learn to spot the signs of a good target among trash.

Thanks Detector. I am actually learning something. This for sure isn't anything like what I thought the signagraph did especially the depth thing. I would have thought that the deeper the target was the weaker the signal would be on the signagraph. Are there any books out there that delve into the signagraphs detailed operation and function.

Bill

Digging Deeper with the DFX goes into detail on the signagraph but with the knowledge that Detector gave above, a little practice in the field would be about all you would need. Just my opinion though.

I would have thought that the deeper the target was the weaker the signal would be on the signagraph.

You're correct. If I mislead you I apologize. The higher the bar the shallower the target is. When the bar is about half way up, the target should be about 5".

Thanks Detector that makes more sense.
BTW I was born in Syracuse, Kansas and lived there until I was ten. Traveled to Dodge a few times. My Great Grandfather was an attorney there at the beginning of the century.

Cheers,
Bill

I use a minelab,but if i had your machine id have that Graph up at all times.I think you need to let more people in on that .my buddy has used his dfx for 4 years,I dont think he has ever used that,ill be calling him today.thx for the info.

That is really quite amazing having a DFX and not using the Signagraph. The signagraph is the final analysis to tell you to dig or not to dig. If your buddy will read the manual "Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster he will find a world of info about the DFX. Some parts of it get a bit technical but it is an excellent manual. With him having used the DFX for fours years a lot of this will be familiar and he may have to read it twice to more familiarize himself with the DFX.

BTW how do you like the Minelab and which one do you have?

Bill

Hi everyone, I am wondering what is the preferred coil for DFX users? I must say that the display on the DFX is very good. It is one of the better ones out there. But I do like my Etrac. Ok good hunting all and be safe always.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

Back
Top Bottom