Some Short Hunt Gold!

Compass

Forum Supporter
After some big surf the last 24 hours I drove straight to the beach after work for a short 3 hour hunt. Targets were fewer and more spread out than they were last Sunday but as the tide receded and I worked lower on the slope I started to find a little lead.
I really almost felt like I was going to find some gold because everything seemed similar to when I have found gold in the past- low on the slope, finding a few quarters and lead fishing weights, the wet sand firm below my feet and black sand showing higher up on the slope. Everything was just right so I call it the "Goldilocks Zone".
When I got a nice coin-like tone I scooped it up and as I shook the sand out of the basket the target bounced out of the scoop back near the hole. I didn't get a good look at it but looking down I saw a round ring like depression in the wet sand. I knew I had a ring and when I picked it up I could tell it was yellow gold in the fading sunlight! Similar to a nugget ring I found last year but this one had a nice diamond embedded on the top. No karat stamp but initials and a date from 36 years ago.
picture.php

It's been a great start to the year for me after a slow start last year. I know this streak can't continue but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. GL&HH!

Another nice one Compass...

You and I need to meet up and hunt, just bring the pulse. There is an area I have been itching to try... ;)

Nice one George! I ran into Jeff this afternoon at your spot, unfortunately I had to bail early on the hunt due to a critical scoop malfunction :facepalm:

Good stuff, Compass! Congrats :goodjob:
Thanks Walrus, No huge cuts at this beach but, apparently, a little sand movement down low. :yes:

That’s a killer find! Congrats!
Thanks GS! The ring is not the biggest at 5.2 grams and is actually broken on the side but it sure photographs well! :yes: :grin:

Another nice one Compass...

You and I need to meet up and hunt, just bring the pulse. There is an area I have been itching to try... ;)
Thank you Sandcrab, I really felt that there was more gold to be found last night but I have to work on Friday so... I must be getting old because a couple of years ago I would have hunted all night and sleepwalked through work! :lol: Yes, we will have to get together for a hunt. I'd like to meet you but I have a feeling we may have bumped into each other before. :yes:
Nice one George! I ran into Jeff this afternoon at your spot, unfortunately I had to bail early on the hunt due to a critical scoop malfunction :facepalm:
Thanks Slim, This is funny- I didn't know I had a "spot"! :lol: Sorry to hear about your scoop- it always seems to happen at the worst possible time. I broke my handle on the Stavr a couple weeks ago and have been using the Stealth which I'm liking because it takes a bigger bite. :yes:

:dingding: Love it! I don't understand why someone would've put a date in a ring that doesn't look like any type of wedding or engagement ring.

Keep that gold streak going George....you are off to an awesome 2019. You are right, those nugget rings were very popular back in the 70’s and 80’s.

Back
Top Bottom