I have an odd coin

fosgate3

I was going through my coin collection tonight and showing my daughter the different kinds of foreign coins used across the world when I came across this "new peso" coin from Mexico. The variant was made in the 1990s yet this coin clearly has a date of 1892 on it---I checked it half a dozen times with a loupe and you can see it in the attached picture.

I am 99.9999% certain it is not from 1892 which means, at least initially, that it is an error. I thought maybe that it was a significant year in the history of Mexico but other new peso coins feature the mint year (I have a N$2 coin in front of me now that bears the date 1995). I cannot seem to find any info on this at all so I am turning to the forum to see if anyone has any idea about what I have here. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any comments. :)

PS: My apologies if this is the wrong place for this post. I was going to put it in the section about coinhunters but since I didn't find this with my detector, I didn't think it would be appropriate to be there.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,060
I wish there was a way to upload a high resolution picture with a file size bigger than 183KB. I don't think it's a flake at all. Let me see if I can power up my stereoscope and snap a close up of the area in question...

This is a close up of the area using my Canon T2i with an El-Nikkor 50 mm f/2.8 attached to a 70-300 lens with a bellows configuration. Field of view is approximately 2.5mm x 1.5mm.

There is definitely a mistake in the number but there is no evidence of it being a flake as far as I can tell. What do you think?

I can likely zoom in more if needed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 811
After researching this for the past couple of hours, I have found out that I am not the only one with this...whatever we want to call it. I have found a handful of posts here and there on various sites from people who have a similar coin with a similar "error". No explanation though.

It's just an error, all mints make errors. The dies get some extra junk caught in them and get worn out over time. Nice catch tough, good eye!

Looks like someone screwed up cutting the die.

Lucky you, you have an error coin. Hold onto it until the error becomes well-known and collectors drive up the price for it. Then, cha-ching! Cash in! :gettinmoney:

Coin collecting is VERY concentrated on US coins, Mexican errors are not that valuable, some MAJOR errors go from 4 to about ten bucks US... Keep in mind these prices shown are in mexican pesos, the exchange right now is about 19 pesos per dollar...
https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...error-20-centavos-1981-madero-descentrada-_JM
https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-554069283-moneda-error-50-pesos-benito-juarez-_JM
https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...-de-10-pesos-excelente-condicion-ano-1978-_JM

Not sure if a genuine error or not, but have seen new coins altered to make a date appear older....usually at a flea market.

I have the same coin but it looks like mine says 1882. Is there any way you can zoom in on my photo and see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-073318.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-073318.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 218
Back
Top Bottom