The tale of a PI hunter

Steve

Forum Supporter
Had the fortune of acquiring a couple detectors over the last few months. I use pi detectors almost exclusively for many years. I have had a gt, ctx, cz21 in the past aswell as others.

1st detector I picked up was a PI pro. Rain was the forecast so I thought it a perfect chance to try it out. It's not bad. Started to hit targets around 12" down sitting on top of the fist sized rocks. Hit this 18k 2 tone with the hollow back. Not heavy enough to get right into or under the rocks.View attachment 419289

View attachment 419290
Next night i took the tdi pro. I've heard about the depth of this beast. When I'm hunting for deep stuff im listening for a few particular sounds. The pro is by far the deepest pi I've used. Need a helper with the holes using it.
Out popped this ring from under the rocks.
View attachment 419291
Next hunt I took my trusty tdi sl and popped out this pd diamond ring. View attachment 419292Got to love the pi machines.
All 3 units mount onto the same skinny shaft so all 3 fit easily into my suitcase.

View attachment 419293

Last edited:
:dingding: Congrats on your finds! I find your travels to get to your detecting sites probably the most interesting aspect of your exploits.

WoW! Over and over you show the success of using the best machine and hunting techniques for "your" beaches. Congrats man, awesome finds!

I'm listening for a few specific sounds. If it's too shallow or too big I pass right over it. If it's shallow and an easy target I will probably dig it if in season

Some real nice treasures! And you have some great setups for hunting!

The spots I hunt you have to go about it the same way, pass by all shallows and listen for the faints. If the hole starts getting to deep and target louder you know it's junk also. Most good small targets like rings and coins will maintain a constant shaped audio.

That 9+ gram ring looks awesome, not that the others don’t either! Congrats and thanks for sharing about your machines.

Some real nice treasures! And you have some great setups for hunting!

The spots I hunt you have to go about it the same way, pass by all shallows and listen for the faints. If the hole starts getting to deep and target louder you know it's junk also. Most good small targets like rings and coins will maintain a constant shaped audio.

I've been finding this out the hard way with the tdi pro. These targets are just not wanting to come out of the friggen hole. I finally said enough and no matter what I was going to get this 1 target out. No matter what. I want to tell myself my pinpointing is off because it was a 2g silver ring at a depth im not ready to come to terms with.
If it's not my pinpointing this machine is going to kick my a$$

Last edited:
I also like my White's TDI and my Detector Pro Pulse units. On Treasure coast beaches where depth is everything the clear, sharp short tone gets your attention.

With your Surf PI Pro, do you hear different tones or just one tone for everything ?

I got a Surf PI Pro and the way I hunt with it on wet sand, I enjoy the weight.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

With your Surf PI Pro, do you hear different tones or just one tone for everything ?

I got a Surf PI Pro and the way I hunt with it on wet sand, I enjoy the weight.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

If you are just hearing 1 tone and everything sounds the same... try finding a target and hit it at different speeds and different height. Try to 'draw' a picture in your head of what it looks and sounds like. You will soon learn that different metals will give a different response... a pi detector is deadly in the Right hands.
There is 1 type of target that I can't seem to beat yet though.. little pieces of red brick. If you want to know what a text book gold signal is try burying 1.
I don't trust double beeps with the surf pro just yet.. I had silver rings laying on the surface double beeping... need to turn on the flashlight or raise the coil to confirm it

Hard to argue with gold. Nice pix.

Using a pulse: How much iron (nails, bobby pins, etc...) are you having to contend with, on your particular beaches ?

Back
Top Bottom