clynick's book on Equinox 600 and 800 review

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have mentioned this 111 page book titled "The Minelab Equinox Series - From Beginner to Advanced" in some replies to other Equinox related posts. Here I will give you my take on the book.

First about me. I have used the great AT Pro for about three years and have been metal detecting since 1988 off and on starting with hunting gold in north GA using a Fisher Gold bug. But being an off and on detectorist does not put me in the same ranks of the pros on these forums that hunt often on a monthly basis or more.

I considered myself an average hobbyist going out about once a week looking for coins and relics in suburban Atlanta area (not an area rich with old coins).

The AT Pro was probably one of the best mid price range detector ever manufactured. Now it is the Equinox's turn.

Now to the book. I was overwhelmed the first couple of weeks trying to learn my Equinox 800. At first I really thought my 800 was defective because it was so, so very chatty since I hunted trashy parks and was where I practiced. I saw on the forums many people having problems learning the Equinox detectors and yet at the same time the more experienced hunters were having good successes with the machines.

I saw a few posts about Clynick's book and decided that was the book for me. And it was. It is not another general 101 detecting book with just a few pages devoted to the Equinox detectors. It is all about the 600 and 800. With that being said the 800 users will find the coverage of the 800's advanced features and settings a bonus.

Even still there are parts of his book you will have to read several times, at least I did.

The author has written quite a few books on metal detecting so he was able to crank this good book out in record time via self publishing.

I won't take the time to go over each chapter, that is why you should buy the book if you are still perplexed or don't feel comfortable with you 600 or even more so with your 800.

If you are a coming from using other Minelab detectors you may not need this book.

The book is no substitute for not putting in the hours hunting with your machine, but it does make those hours more productive in terms of learning the machine. Also I have filled in my 800 learning gaps with carefully reading as many posts here and on other MD forums devoted to the 600 and 800. And to a lesser extent some youtube videos made by people using the Equinox.

And no I am not affiliated with Clynick in any manner. I do own and operate multiple, very technical book review web sites but won't post those links or names, because that is not the purpose of this post. The purpose of this post is to help newbies and others learn these remarkable detectors.

HH with your 600 or 800.

Thanks a lot, Maxx!

Glad the book has helped you.
Good Luck Detecting,
clive

I also bought his book, but got it after receiving and using my 800 for a few months. The book helped me understand some of the nuances of this detector after using it for that period. It's a good read, but the editing could be better as there's lots of typos.

Back
Top Bottom