Help id this strange thing. (probably junk)

Leo996

So, I found this mechanical looking piece of metal in my backyard. I know it's probably junk, because everything in my backyard is, but I've never seen something similar to this before. Does anyone recognize it? My guess is it's a tool for building.

Btw it looks the same on the back as it does on the front

Last edited:
What is the size reference? It looks like an old pulley of some sort with the broken old piece of rusted drive shaft still in its center hole. If it's fairly wide and flat on edge then maybe for an old time flat drive belt such as used on steam engines or early tractors or what are commonality referred to as hit and miss engines which were used on farms 100 years ago to grind corn, pump water ect.

Close up photos especially of the edge would help and measurements.

Don

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

What is the size reference? It looks like an old pulley of some sort with the broken old piece of rusted drive shaft still in its center hole. If it's fairly wide and flat on edge then maybe for an old time flat drive belt such as used on steam engines or early tractors or what are commonality referred to as hit and miss engines which were used on farms 100 years ago to grind corn, pump water ect.

Close up photos especially of the edge would help and measurements.

Don

Hey, here are the measurements. For context, I live in Savannah GA in a suburb built in the 1950s and 60s. I'm not sure if there were farms here. Although there might have very well been, considering it's the south.

Attachments

• Measurement 1.jpg
    Measurement 1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Measurement 2.jpg
    Measurement 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 374
Hey, here are the measurements. For context, I live in Savannah GA in a suburb built in the 1950s and 60s. I'm not sure if there were farms here. Although there might have very well been, considering it's the south.
Oh that's much smaller than I imagined from your first photo. Forget all what I said about hit and miss engines and flat belts. Could be from an old 2 wheel dollie. I actually used one years ago without rubber tires.

Does look like a pulley or as ecmo said a wheel from a dolly. I remember seeing an old scale in a country store when I was a kid that had some wheels that were about this size. These look a little bigger but I have seen them smaller.

dDfoR4Om.jpg

Steve.......

Last edited:
Ok, thanks ya'll. It's probably just an old wheel from something, maybe a skateboard or something else.

Also, I deleted the original photos for privacy concerns (exif data)

reminds me of the rollers off an old conveyer system that a belt would ride on. No idea for what though.

If you are not good at electrolysis, maybe soak that thing in some Evapo-Rust. It will do a good job of getting rid of the rust. Maybe would help identify

castors?

Found these with some drawer pulls close by.
A possibility.

Attachments

• castors.jpg
    castors.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 250
Back
Top Bottom