Magnet fishing

SEABEE1931

Anyone been doing this? A hundred pound magnet on very strong dacron line. this I cast from the dock and a surprising collection of wrenches ,screwdrivers anchors and of course ,foot cutting cans can be retrieved. a two hundred lb magnet needs a very strong line but works great in deeper water. Yes you can lose one now and then or dive to find out what the heck you latched on to. A glass bottom bucket works well with the magnet for specific targets, thinking of modifying a boat with a transparent bottom. Also have dragged a bar clad with rare earth magnets ofer beach and grassy areas, finds knives and crap. Bob: cool:

I always wanted to try that. I did have a big magnet. but I never got around to it. I have a boat but i never use it any more. Think what you find like that.
The magnet came from a speaker. But got got broken up somehow. I forgot how. Now its in little peaces.

that sounds cool, i've never even thought about it, i have a small boat, where would one obtain the magnet?

I new a fellow that did this very thing in Canada, there coins are magnetic. He spent a whole day doing it off of an old pier that had been around for decades and said he found some really great "stuff" $$$

Gerry

I did this a few times at Puddingstone reservoir in San Dimas, CA with a big magnet I got at Harbor Freight. I found knives, pliers, and many jars of bait(steel lids). It was fun but I haven't gone back to it. HH!

Just keep it away from your wallet or you'll erase that magnetic strip on your credit cards and such.

I've thought about it many times and never did try it, I do kayak a local state park now and then, would even be worth it for lures, knives, etc... Often I'll get the kayak into ofshore bushes and such where shore fisherman have tangled their lures and cut the line, grab the lure for myself. Maybe I'll try it this year. (when I'm not dirt fishin, that is....)

Don't worry about your credit cards with magnets. They did that on Mythbusters and no matter what magnet they tried they couldn't get it to mess up the cards.

I have done it several times with no great results (yet!). I go to piers and run it along the edges where people knock stuff off. Mostly get a bunch of old, rusty hooks and lures. Got some pliers and a knife that were beyond restoration. Fun though.

Would you all like to come to my beaches that I hunt with your magnets? :D I'm a PI hunter and iron is not my friend... :lol:

Here's one I built using rare earth magnets & aluminum pieces, 12 inches long. It is very strong but I have used it only on land so far as we have almost no water here in AZ. I pull it through old RR dumps and it pulls out metal - particularly old date nails that I collect. Steve in so az

homemademagnet.jpg

When I worked on aircraft radar systems in the militery, I wish I had gotton a magnet of one of the units that were to be scrapped. It was supper strong and would have be a good one to use.(:-O) Good hunting.

Could someone suggest a magnet I have all of old lakes near me, maybe i might have time to do it next summer

Back
Top Bottom