Help id nickel date

Just one more

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help date this nickel. It's very hard to make out and I'm not sure if I can get a better picture or not. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it, thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 173
Here's another picture but its' sideways for some reason.

Attachments

• IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 170
Not 100% sure, I was going to say 1860, but someone said they didn't start making them till 1866.

I tried some photo enhancing to try to increase detail some.

Maybe try pics with different lighting, lighting at an angle, ect. ?

58contrasted.jpg 58reverse.jpg

1869. Can't be prior to 67 b/c it doesn't have rays. The rays were removed in 1867.

1869. Can't be prior to 67 b/c it doesn't have rays. The rays were removed in 1867.

Yep, agreed 1869, since rays removed in 67.

The shape of the 9 is so close to a 0 that it would be hard to say if it wasn't for the removal of the rays in 67.

Found a pic of an uncirculated 1869 for comparison -

IMAG0057.jpg 1869nickel.jpg1869obversenickel.jpg

Also found a page with this info -

Two major varieties exist for the series.
Initially (1866), the reverse design featured rays between the thirteen stars and radiating outward from the 5 to form an encircling wreath (Variety 1).
The hardness of nickel made minting difficult so the rays were removed later in 1867 to increase minting rates
(Variety 2).
Variety 1 with Rays (1866 - 1867)
Variety 2 No Rays (1867 - 1883)

shield.jpg

Last edited:
Third digit is a 6; and the last digit is definitely either a zero or nine. Since the first issue is 1866, it must be a 9. 1869 is correct.

Wow everybody, thanks for all the help. I was hoping it was an 1880 but it does kind of look like a 69. Does anyone know a way to make the date more clear?

Wow everybody, thanks for all the help. I was hoping it was an 1880 but it does kind of look like a 69. Does anyone know a way to make the date more clear?

Now if a coin might have any real value I would first make sure any cleaning would not diminish the value.

Having said that, here is a thread on cleaning coins, but you can still get more opinions from other members as far as whether to clean your coin or not and if so, what is the best method least likely to damage the coin.

The thread below is called "Salty Vinegar & Brass Brush on many coins"

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=239759

EDIT: to add:

I just read a coin cleaning page on the internet with a caution that said -

"If you are using salt and vinegar in a bowl, use it in a well ventilated area. The salt will break down into sodium (harmless) and chloride gas which is very harmful."

If you mess with that nickel,,try to make date more legible,,,you'll actually lose more ID date wise than you have now.

another shot. If the last digit is a zero, it must be an 1880 I guess?

Attachments

• IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom