Beginner's Luck? Plat and gold!

TK-421

Ok, so when I say "beginner" I don't mean I found these the very first time I hit the sand with my TK4.

I did do a couple test hunts on some public beaches during middling tides just to get the hang of the machine. Found some clad and sinkers and odds and ends, but wasn't expecting much.

From studying posts on here and getting advice from former Oki-pirate 'onthespot' I understood that my best chance, especially with a low-end machine, would be on resort beaches, in the swim areas, at negative tides.

Finally my chance came- 1:30 am on a weekend (I work full time) very-low negative tide, unseasonably chilly weather and huge gusts of wind, but I've done recon on a resort beach close to home and found a sneaky way in without having to go through the hotel grounds. I'm going for it!

Two hours later- got some clad, junk jewelry, and odds and ends to show for my efforts. Had a guard shine a flashlight at me, but he didn't feel like braving the weather to come tell me off. Had to run for cover a couple times when unexpected showers passed over (no waterproofing for me yet!) Getting properly blown over by the wind time and time again. Starting to wonder if my TK4 can even detect precious metals (didn't have any gold to test it on). Should I give up? Probably. But maybe one more pass through that middle area...

Suddenly I get a really odd high tone-- multiple beeps in rapid succession. I figure I'm falsing on a rock (again), but I kick the rock over and re-sweep because--that's what you do, and the signal is still there. Pop a squat and dig with my little home-made hand-scoop.

There's something distinctly shiny in there...circular...(getting hopeful). I fish it out and it's definitely a ring and it's definitely not tarnished even slightly. With half-frozen fingers I wipe away the sand on the inside and squint in the dim red light of my headlamp at the inscription...

PT900

Platinum! What a RUSH! I can't even describe the feeling! Wow!

After taking a few minutes to get over my excitement I figured I couldn't head home right away-- gotta at least check the surrounding area.

Next target-- tiny pristine ring: 10k white gold. Soft little low tone just like it should be. Unbelievable.

Platinum and gold on my first resort hunt! Now that's some beginner's luck right there!

(Pictures should hopefully be on here-- this is my first time attempting to post pics so if it doesn't work I'll find a way to fix it ASAP.)

Attachments

• Okinawan Platinum!.jpg
    Okinawan Platinum!.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 567
  • PT900.jpg
    PT900.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 573
  • Look at that weight!.jpg
    Look at that weight!.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 566
  • Tiny 10k gold.jpg
    Tiny 10k gold.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 571
  • All the 'keepers'.jpg
    All the 'keepers'.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 566
You are going to do very good over there. Congrats on a couple of nice ones. You will be doing yourself a HUGE favor if you can also afford a machine like an Excal or a CZ-21. They will get way deeper and will pay for themselves for sure. Congrats. I was there in the late 70's and learned to dive there. BEAUTIFUL.

:dingding: Can't think of a much better start to detecting than that! :wow: LISTEN to SD!!! It WILL pay for itself in just a few hunts with all the high K stuff you guys over there seem to get.

Great job! I never had much luck at that beach. Just an FYI, keep that key on you every time you hunt there, always keep one in the pouch. If a Security guard messes with you, give him the key. They get real happy when they are returned. In the past, they even gave paid some yen for the key returns. They last 3 or 4 keys I returned, they just thanked me! You guys are off to a great start.

Haven't found a Platinum ring yet! That's a really cool find... I like the design on the inside of that ring too. Congrats!

You are going to do very good over there. Congrats on a couple of nice ones. You will be doing yourself a HUGE favor if you can also afford a machine like an Excal or a CZ-21. They will get way deeper and will pay for themselves for sure. Congrats. I was there in the late 70's and learned to dive there. BEAUTIFUL.

:dingding: Can't think of a much better start to detecting than that! :wow: LISTEN to SD!!! It WILL pay for itself in just a few hunts with all the high K stuff you guys over there seem to get.

Arigato! :D Yep- definitely hoping the TK4 can earn me an upgrade soon. I couldn't help but think as I was swinging that I was basically just scratching the surface of what the beach might have to offer. If even a TK4 can score plat and gold I'd love to see what a better machine can spot out there!

Great job! I never had much luck at that beach. Just an FYI, keep that key on you every time you hunt there, always keep one in the pouch. If a Security guard messes with you, give him the key. They get real happy when they are returned. In the past, they even gave paid some yen for the key returns. They last 3 or 4 keys I returned, they just thanked me! You guys are off to a great start.

Nice! That's great to know about the keys. I actually found another one on my earlier recon hunt but it was reeeeally badly corroded so i didn't clean it up. But now that I know it's a kind of get-out-of-jail-free card I think I'll put in the effort. Thanks for all the great advice!

Haven't found a Platinum ring yet! That's a really cool find... I like the design on the inside of that ring too. Congrats!

Totally! It's an Okinawan Shisa (guardian lion-dog spirit...creature) so that means the ring was either designed here or designed specifically to be marketed here. It has a very interesting maker's mark but I wasn't able to track down it's origin. It even has an almost microscopic diamond set into the front (my camera didn't capture it well).

The gold, on the other hand, is from one of those fancy Japanese designer brands. I was able to track it's origin easily. It's half of a birthstone lovers set (each ring has two birthstones set into it-- yours and your SO's). The individual rings originally sold for $300 each. Pretty mind blowing considering that 1.6 grams of 10k is worth maybe 25 bucks.

Now I just gotta work on turning them into money.

I'm lucky, though-- I don't have to worry about the wife taking my best finds. That's because I AM the wife, and I only wear silver. :lol:

Hell yeah, convert those rings to an excal and go get some more!

Excellent Finds. Would love to work that beach with my Xcal. You will not believe the difference a machine designed for the Salt Water will do in uncovering finds. Visited Okinawa a few times back in he early 60's when I was in the USN.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Your head is in the game, you ran tests, you read posts, you took the time to know your machine. I'd say, out of the gate you are a roaring success. Great finds, great post, keep em coming . . .

Excellent Finds. Would love to work that beach with my Xcal. You will not believe the difference a machine designed for the Salt Water will do in uncovering finds. Visited Okinawa a few times back in he early 60's when I was in the USN.

Arigato! Yeah, I've been surprised that the TK4 works at all in the really wet sand areas where there's so much standing salt water. It really doesn't like areas where there are parallel ripples of sand and water (I forget the name for those). Falses like crazy. That said, I have found some coins and stuff in there, it's just frustrating work. Would love to see what a salt-water machine could do. Getting one to Japan (once I can even afford it) is going to be a chore though.

That is amazing. But you know what? Keep going!!!

Will do! :D Just as soon as the weather starts cooperating. When it decides to rain here it raiiiiiiins.

Location, location, location
;)

Hahaha, so true. And this wasn't even one of the richest resort beaches here. Just happens to be the one closest to home and I knew I could access it with ease. When Onthespot was here he had better luck at some of the bigger resorts further up the coast. Of course they're also better guarded... doing some recon this weekend to prepare for the next negative tide.

You are in platinum and gold country you lucky person you!:bling::workforgold::workforgold::thumbsup::congras:

It's true! If I hadn't seen the crazy shinies that Onthespot used to pull out of these beaches I never would have believed it. But it's true! The proof is in the scoop!

Luck has nothing to do with it. Your head is in the game, you ran tests, you read posts, you took the time to know your machine. I'd say, out of the gate you are a roaring success. Great finds, great post, keep em coming . . .

Arigato yo! Yeah, I read that a high percentage of beginner detectorists have unrealistic expectations, don't do their research, and give up before even really putting their machine to work. I don't have money to throw away, so I figured if I was gonna do this, I was gonna maximize my chances of success.

In addition, I swore I wasn't going to give up until I'd at least paid myself back for the TK4, even if that meant hunting till I'd found $104 in clad. Looking at the spot-value of PT900, I think it's safe to say I've already taken care of that. And I'm definitely not thinking about giving up!

Awesome!!! I love seeing stuff from across the big blue!! So much history in your area as well and the relics you'll dig!!! Jealous!!! Happy Hunting!!

MetalHead

Back
Top Bottom