How many??

It's possible, but in my experience with the topic they come and go. Most get into the hobby and realize it's nots a get rich quick type of thing and then quit.

I've got one that goes sometimes, his health doesn't allow it as much as mine. We are both retired so when he feels up to it I can and do go. joe

Very few, I'd guess. Most hunt alone, with relatives, or best friends they've had since they were 5 or 6 years old, & don't have time for more friends. Plus many only have time for short hunts near home, so going out of their way to pick up someone would eliminate the time for hunting.

I live in a metro area of 3.5 million and can't find anyone who would detect with me as I don't drive, & can't get up at 6am, & can't stand under 45 degrees or over 75 degrees.

I have found several through this forum. Has worked out well for me.

I found 2 but it was not by any of us posting buddy threads. We just all happen to live within 16 miles of each other.

We did some group hunts a few years back and had several people from here on the forum attend.

I have found a group in my area from messaging Jack and Jill quite awhile back. Damn good thing, I'm a better hunter for it. Trapper was the cork that unleashed MILWAUKEE MAYHEM!!(Ahem...) I meant...a really nice group of well behaved people.
This is what hunting with someone else does....someone will learn something from the other person, or both will learn. Skills increase,finds increase. So yeah, getting ahold of somebody in your area can absolutely be advantageous, especially if you're struggling with learning a machine or just getting the hang of things in general.
There are probably duds out there, just gotta weed them out.

I've met a couple out of town traveled to Louisiana and met a Member Kona dog and another in Florida Dragonfire hunted with both of them and one member in Kansas city Music nut. However I'm always up for a road trip or to meet someone if their coming through Kansas city. I'm thinking about going to one of the Minelab training boot camps this summer and will post looking for someone to hunt with while out of town if I do.

I'm in a small town and I don't believe there are any other members close by. I've come across one other MDer in my town, but he seems to prefer to hunt alone? Maybe it's my aftershave? :p

HDD

I would think, not many. It really is a somewhat solitary endeavor. I've hooked up with a couple members when I had permission on a larger property and enjoyed it. I generally hunt with my brother, Steve. Hunt's are usually scheduled a day or two ahead of time so not much time to "organize" a get together. Many sites are fairly small, houses, small farms etc. You just can't have too many guys on them. Then you couple the fact that many MD'ers have specific types of hunting they enjoy or pursue. I'm glad for the guys that like to go to a tot-lot and "pop" clad. Frankly, I'd be pulling my hair out doing that. Some guys like curb strips and tear outs, you name it. We hunt almost exclusively colonial, particularly Revolutionary War sites.
Some I'm sure, myself included, have a reluctance to spend months researching a location, going thru the maps, books etc and finally identifying a likely location and procuring permission if needed. As hard as some types of sites are to procure, yea, one is reluctant to bring in basically a stranger and have him pop out that beautiful pewter uniform button. I mean honestly, you've spent years looking for that thing in a sense. Mind you, I have had a few members join me on primo Rev spots, but they were quite large, the sites that is, not the members:laughing:. I plan on doing it again, but only when the site warrants it.
I would also suspect that some guys don't think their spots are all that worthwhile and don't want to have others waste the time and effort to spend an unproductive day.

I met my hunting partner here and enjoy hunting with him. I do check every day to see if there might be someone else in the area. It would be nice to have someone else join us, or someone to hunt with when Bob can't make it.

I would like to but will openly admit I'd not be very dependable so I've not really looked. Trying to plan around 4 kids in various sports and other endless appointments I can only get out when everything else is taken care of. Often thats only for 1-3 hours on the weekends either really early or late and almost always within about 15 minutes of the house. Other times it's just finding a free hour or 2 on some random day where nothing is going on and just grabbing it and head out the door.

I'm retired and travel full time. We will often stay in an area for a month or two at a time. I post on here when we will be parked for a while, looking for a local to hunt with. I have had varied success finding hunting partners. By that I mean sometimes I get responses and sometimes I don't.

I have had some enjoyable hunts with locals in many different places. I have also had locals share possible hunt sites when they don't have the time to get out.

I'll keep posting here looking for locals to hunt with, Just wish there were more outgoing MD'ers out there.

Happy hunting all!

Back
Top Bottom