Clearing the trash out?

critik

So I hear a lot of people say you got to clear out all the trash so you can get to the good stuff. And well I am wondering as far as MD settings go what do they mean? Does this have anything to do with the sensitivity or Disc?

-Thanks Darrin

Usually when people mention clearing the trash out they mean a systematic removal of all metallic items ( trash ) in the ground so that any good targets that were masked by the trash can now be detected. Since much of the time these trash metal targets may mask or " hide "....or blend with , any good targets that may be there , fooling the detector , once they are gone the chances of finding something good can at times be significantly improved. Doing this can take a lot of work depending on how much trash is there but can also be worth the effort at times. Since the aim is to remove all or most of the metal trash , you want to use very little if any discrimination , dig every target , and clear as large of an area as possible. Clearing the trash wont guarantee anything but you are atleast removing all the known obstacles that can keep the good stuff hidden.

Usually when people mention clearing the trash out they mean a systematic removal of all metallic items ( trash ) in the ground so that any good targets that were masked by the trash can now be detected. Since much of the time these trash metal targets may mask or " hide "....or blend with , any good targets that may be there , fooling the detector , once they are gone the chances of finding something good can at times be significantly improved. Doing this can take a lot of work depending on how much trash is there but can also be worth the effort at times. Since the aim is to remove all or most of the metal trash , you want to use very little if any discrimination , dig every target , and clear as large of an area as possible. Clearing the trash wont guarantee anything but you are atleast removing all the known obstacles that can keep the good stuff hidden.

Great job of explaining OC!

Awesome Good Explanation Thank you so much.

It essentially means you must dig everything, bring a file to sharpen your digger:grin:

Clearing trash without there first being confirmation of good targets is a monumental waste of MY time,there are better sites to hunt. That's ME.

I once found an old concrete picnic table sitting in the woods at a park founded back in the mid 1920's. I can't help but think there must be a few good targets to be found but the pull-tabs and crown tops will drive you insane :crazy: I've gone back in with a 4" concentric coil trying to snipe out some keepers only to find shallow clad. While trying to decipher signals the "iffy" type sounds only proved to be multiple pull-tabs and crown tops grouped tightly together :( I don't mind clearing some trash out at times but this place was too much for me and not really worth the time!

Just a personal opinion, but while I have found a few, and I do mean a few, keepers after cleaning all targets from good sites, I personally don't feel it's worth the time. If you do a good job the first few times there won't be much, if any, missed.

I would say it depends on the site. Some sites may be worth going through all the work of clearing the trash and some sites may not be. I normally dont have the patience for it but if there is some significant history to the site and there is potential for something really good there then I have in the past cleared up atleast most of the trash in certain areas on sites and benefited by finding an extra silver coin or two. This is for only the most committed , and patient ,.....so these days I normally cherry pick the clad :lol:

Clearing the trash out is a good thing to do if a specific spot will be one you detect for a long while. I have a few totlots (elementry school playgrounds and city playgrounds) that I keep spotless. Are they completely clean???...probably not but the best my detectors are able to by going over completely and thoroughly upteen times.

Why do I keep these specific spots clean?...because it's easy to go back over them about once a month and get ALL the fresh drops. It's easy constant income. Sometimes are better than others, but I've never left without a few new drops. Plus, since they are cleaned out...I can haul butt through them knowing I'm pretty much only targeting the top surface finds. It took me many many many times progressively getting deeper on them to clean them though, but I think it was worth it to make maintaining them easier for me in the long run.

Basically now, I hit them for easy jewelry and lunch money. Not anything old there, just fresh drops. :D

It depends on the site ..

I've been hunting a trashy spot and clearing the junk as I go (cans, mason jar lids, iron, random junk of all sorts) for several years that thankfully must have scared off others.

Yes..it's been a lot of work.

Here's some of the results.

Attachments

• IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 289

I've been hunting a trashy spot and clearing the junk as I go (cans, mason jar lids, iron, random junk of all sorts) for several years that thankfully must have scared off others.

If you have the site with the history there are certainly exceptions,as shown here...
That's a whole table of WOW!

:holycow: That is a real nice collection. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom