What should I expect? An AT Pro coil question..

Ice Scratcher

Elite Member
Hey guys,

I got the "2 coil" package when I bought my ATP. I have been running the 5x8 since it was new...

I was wondering how much gain in depth I mught get if I switched over to the larger "stock" 8.5x11?

I have had a lot of finds "in my plug" 5-6" without digging too much, and I am wondering if I might get a little deeper for mo silver!

I know it would be a gamble either way, with a depth increase some seperation will be lost...

Thanks all!!

<*)))>{

I got the two coil package too. The larger coil seems to get a bit more depth.
But, like you pointed out you loose some separation.
I use my larger coil to get an overall impression of a site. I cherry pick a bit then go back with the smaller coil if its a trashy site and I think there are indications of older coins ie wheats, silver or age of site.

Love my machine. Does seem like those etrack users find a lot of silver.
Machine? Experience? Or good research? Probably a bit of all.

Hey guys,

I got the "2 coil" package when I bought my ATP. I have been running the 5x8 since it was new...

I was wondering how much gain in depth I mught get if I switched over to the larger "stock" 8.5x11?

I have had a lot of finds "in my plug" 5-6" without digging too much, and I am wondering if I might get a little deeper for mo silver!

I know it would be a gamble either way, with a depth increase some seperation will be lost...

Thanks all!!

<*)))>{

A quick air test will give a "close" idea of depth. The separation of the 5x8 is to die for!

Thanks guys!!

I just finished "air testing" both coils on a merc dime..

The smaller coil started to read at 7.5 but the numbers showing I would not dig, it started to read proper #s around 6"

The bigger coil picked it up better, started to read around 9" good numbers came in at 7.5-8"....

I will be trying it out today with a quick stop at my friends tiny yard 20x30ft that has given up about ten wheats and a silver quarter, will report back on what I end up digging....

<*)))>{

I do not use my stock coil anymore the 5x8 like Bart said is way to awesome at trash separation. I don't think it gets enough depth to justify using it in my soil. I have never found a silver or old coin deeper then 6in here in our clay. Yes there may be but all the guys using trac and other machines report the same depths. Shallow silvers.

I bought a PRO about 2 months ago and I use the 5x8 coil most of the time here in Florida. I have dug dimes and wheats at 9 inches. That may vary depending on your soil. The 8.5x11 coil is good on the beach and for relic hunting but I prefer the seperation of the 5x8 most of the time.

Attachments

• 10.28.12 wheatiesm.jpg
    10.28.12 wheatiesm.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 876
Alright, I tried out the bigger coil for about three hours seems huge...So far I did not do any better, not impressed, not as much "fun" as the smaller coil, it also seemed to like junk more with good steady VDIs.. It seemed to shoot deeper, but it was all junk.. It has been a long time since my finds pile looked this junky, but part of the reason is, I tried an hour at a new place, total junkyard! I really see no reason to go back there..

I will try it again, not done testing the bigger coil, but at this point the 5x8 is my winner. when I hunt, I don't have to clean a place out, I simply enjoy digging quality targets. If they are of quality, depth should not matter, right? Yards and parks is what I have been hunting mostly..

<*)))>{

Alright,

Tired of digging junk lol... I think that I will go back to the 5x8, way more fun..:yes:

The 5x8 seems to be all around quicker as well, very quick for pinpointing, also seems to have better recovery speed and clearer vision?? Is that possible? Just my opinion FWIW...

MUCH better on my arm also!

<*)))>{

Stick with the big coil. You will get more depth and more silver. It is more weight but it is worth it. After a few times out it will become your primary coil...

right right right.

Nope. You don't get but maybe a inch out of the big coil. And you can not separate trash with it like you can with the 5x8. And your silver count will only go up if you swing slow and have a spot that has silver on it.

Nope. You don't get but maybe a inch out of the big coil. And you can not separate trash with it like you can with the 5x8. And your silver count will only go up if you swing slow and have a spot that has silver on it.

You get more then a inch plus you cover more ground. You can double your finds. I use to go out hunting with a lot of At pro users with the same mind set as you, after our hunts they are now using the 8.5x11. I use the 5"x8 as a sniper coil or when I water hunt. Just my opinion.

It seemed to me that with the 5x8, I could tell it was trash and move on..

I tried and do work very slow and low.. The the bigger coil seems to be way too optimistic for me.. It seems to give a quality repetable sound and vdi, where as the 5x8 will jump around more, telling me to move on...

It could be luck, but since I've been using the large coil, my pile of finds look like my first few hunts when I started with my 250...

I could see pulling the large coil out again in a place that is cleaner with some silver already been found...

YMMV..

<*)))>{

You get more then a inch plus you cover more ground. You can double your finds. I use to go out hunting with a lot of At pro users with the same mind set as you, after our hunts they are now using the 8.5x11. I use the 5"x8 as a sniper coil or when I water hunt. Just my opinion.

that is cause they just don't know their machines... I will run circles around the big coil on a At Pro.:yes::yes::yes: and all you get is maybe a inch.

I ran the smaller 5x8 today, very glad to have it back! Dang, I like even more now lol!

Tonight I hunted for about 40 min, ended up with (all clad) 2 quarters, 5 dimes, 7 pennies, it seemed like in every hole I found what I was expecting. That might be a per/hr record for me, clad wise.. The only trash target in 40 min was a stainlessish clip for cable tv... Now I actually did not find the best stuff, but it was not junk!

The tone "rolls" on junk, most of the time, with the 5x8.. The 8.5x11 not easy to "roll the tone" i.e a lot of trash rings good/true...

IMO..I will keep the 8.5x11 for an extra scan in the really good spots but not so much my "go to" coil for my locations...

I started this post with a question, I did find "my" own facts lol,(with a sore arm even worse off from the 8.5x11 sheesh) YYMV,

Thanks for all the comments..

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom