Coin star scam

I'm up here in Canada, after 2 years of taking a peak at the reject bin, low and behold a coin, miserable penny.

Either somebody makes the round at all the machines or folks don't use them as they rip you off with the 11 or 14% fee when you do use them.

I don't look anymore, waste of time. make a better score checking the interior of cars at the junk yards...so I have heard. Too bad as kids we didn't think of that, lots of old abandoned cars in the woods...

I haven't gotten much at ours so far, but I look at it this way, the Coinstar is right next to the exit of the grocery store so it's not like I make a detour or special trip just to check the Coinstar, I figure if I have to walk past it when leaving the grocery store, why not check it ?

Never though of the junk car idea, neat !

(if you check old abandoned cars in the woods, watch out for snakes, spiders, or other critters)

......and don't forget to check under those sofa and chair cushions, hey I guess detectorists just develop the "hunter" mentality and look for coins everywhere :lol:

I'm up here in Canada, after 2 years of taking a peak at the reject bin, low and behold a coin, miserable penny.

Either somebody makes the round at all the machines or folks don't use them as they rip you off with the 11 or 14% fee when you do use them.

I don't look anymore, waste of time. make a better score checking the interior of cars at the junk yards...so I have heard. Too bad as kids we didn't think of that, lots of old abandoned cars in the woods...

If word gets out about junk yard car seats, it will soon turn into a featured thread, like coin staring and CRH ing. Mark my words !

Coin Star

I started this treasure chest on 1 Jan.. Top row is Silver and Steelies.. I had some good luck but lately no luck.. The finds come in spurts just like dirt digging. Persistance comes into play along with alot of luck.. Keep at it..

Attachments

• DSCN1537.jpg
    DSCN1537.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 172
(if you check old abandoned cars in the woods, watch out for snakes, spiders, or other critters)
......and don't forget to check under those sofa and chair cushions, hey I guess detectorists just develop the "hunter" mentality and look for coins everywhere :lol:

Abandoned cars are prime nesting spots for bees and wasps. Be careful you don't disturb a nest of them.

Never pulled ANYTHING from a coinstar, HOWEVER the last time I was at my bank cashing in hundreds of dollars in clad from a "coin collection" I bought, I scored a 1958 Rosey and a bunch of wheats, one of which appears to be struck on a nickel planchet.

If word gets out about junk yard car seats, it will soon turn into a featured thread, like coin staring and CRH ing. Mark my words !

Certainly! Its a demographic thing! The guys hunting the vacuum machines at the Car Wash have some stories of big gold chains, vast amounts of clad, bills, gold rings... etc...

All a fellow would need to really make pay is a master key to all those car wash vacuums!...an appetite for fossilized frenchfries would help too...:laughing:

Coins in the reject slot of a coin counting machine is the figment of folks imagination. I never walk past one without checking the reject slot. In two years of checking I have so found absolutely NOTHING but some little pieces of dirt.

I think folks are pulling my leg.

I too have religiously searched each coin star for over a year now, and have yet to find anything valuable. 95% of the time they're empty and I think store personnel regularly check them. My suggestion on finding change is in ice vending machines.......for some reason people who are getting ice are in a big hurry and almost never check the change return slot. I've found up to $3.75 in them, and quite regularly. When I was a kid I'd find more money in them in a month than I could make on my paper route in a month!

Coins in the reject slot of a coin counting machine is the figment of folks imagination. I never walk past one without checking the reject slot. In two years of checking I have so found absolutely NOTHING but some little pieces of dirt.

I think folks are pulling my leg.
We're not pulling your leg. We really do find coins in the coinstar machines. Most of the times they're empty but every now and then there's a coin or coins in the tray.

Not that I get to the big towns much but every time i do I check the machines. One in Wally world, is right in the customer service department. right after Christmas there was a long line. I cut thru the line grabbed two coins out of the machine and kept walking. I was just sure everyone in line was watching me. Canadian nickle and a zinc penny. but Id do it again, long as I don't have to turn around. Thats the only two coins I've found in them.

Not that I get to the big towns much but every time i do I check the machines. One in Wally world, is right in the customer service department. right after Christmas there was a long line. I cut thru the line grabbed two coins out of the machine and kept walking. I was just sure everyone in line was watching me. Canadian nickle and a zinc penny. but Id do it again, long as I don't have to turn around. Thats the only two coins I've found in them.

Hey, coins are coins, but the drawback to doing that in front of all those people is that you may have given many of them that never thought of it before, the idea to check Coinstars, so now you may have more competition :lol:

I checked the reject slot today ( coin star) @ a local supermarket.

I found 3 dirty lincoln pennies ( all recent dates) a Brazilian coin and these 2 silver Roosevelt dimes.

The dirtier of the two is a 1947 , the other a 1963.

Attachments

• 17457305_10212737893103089_6690854184498921785_n.jpg
    17457305_10212737893103089_6690854184498921785_n.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 17342744_10212737893143090_2833330475111575497_n.jpg
    17342744_10212737893143090_2833330475111575497_n.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 122

I've told this before, but one of my older car friends (now deceased) ran a auto junkyard out in the county and each car that came in they would pull the back seats and collect all the half-moldy coins out and throw them in a bucket (yes there were that many) to use in the pop machine. We'd get thirsty and grab some change outta the bucket and get us a pop all the time. I'd find cars out back that they couldn't quickly pop the seats out and pry the seats loose and scoop up lots of coins, tools, jewelry, knives, all kinds of stuff. That was fun.

I've told this before, but one of my older car friends (now deceased) ran a auto junkyard out in the county and each car that came in they would pull the back seats and collect all the half-moldy coins out and throw them in a bucket (yes there were that many) to use in the pop machine. We'd get thirsty and grab some change outta the bucket and get us a pop all the time. I'd find cars out back that they couldn't quickly pop the seats out and pry the seats loose and scoop up lots of coins, tools, jewelry, knives, all kinds of stuff. That was fun.

Hmmm. I've got some of my old junk cars sitting out on the property, and I've lost track of some things over the years...I think maybe I might just need to take a looksie inside them and see what I can find! :grin:

Coinstar

First time I heard about coinstars and checked, there was a rosey, in a WalMart. I find about three to four a year, mostly dimes, but one time it was a GW that looked black. Just yesterday, I found a 1950 Canadian Dime. I love finding silver in coinstars. Don't give up, keep checking, If you don't see anything, still put your fingers in and check anyway. Sometimes they are hard to see. Be descrete though, we don't want to let everyone know there's free money to be had.

I found 1 silver rosie in the coinstar about a year ago. I had been eyeballing the coinstar on my way in and out of the grocery store for weeks. Every time I would grab any coins, my wife would feel embarrassed. The day I found the rosie was no different. I grabbed the coins as we walked out and I knew I had silver in my hand. She made a comment about me doing this and I opened my hand to her and said" boom, silver!" She was amazed that I really found silver! of course she still tries to act like she does not know me as I head to the machine. :laughing:

Ok. Once, just one time I found silver in the coin star. Trouble is, it was my money I was counting. I missed a GW and it got spit out. Dose that count ?

funny what this metal detecting leads to. Now when Im flying around, if I see an old car in a coulee, I land and see if the seats are still in it. Old Houses with old couches N chairs .............

Hey, coins are coins, but the drawback to doing that in front of all those people is that you may have given many of them that never thought of it before, the idea to check Coinstars, so now you may have more competition :lol:

Yea, if they even realize what I did !! Guess thats also a good case for tying your shoe......

Back
Top Bottom