What do you do with your clad at the end of the year?

I keep my clad until such time as I decide to do some cleaning. Then I tumble it until it is clean enough to go thru the coin counter at my Credit Union. Then I come home with greenbacks and put it away. I did use the results pay for the majority of the housing of a two week vacation on our 50th anniversary. Been keeping the dollars that I derived from clad just in case I find that I need a new detector.

Precious metal items are kept just because. I enjoy taking a look at that pretty stuff from time to time. I also enjoy showing it to others. Have not had a need or desire to sell what little pm that if have found.

Theres two types of clad..the "Fresh Drop" ready spend, or the "Old dirty tumblers"...The Fresh drops are nice, face value and immediate face value redemption for product procurement on the way home!..Immediate and gratifying!

The old dirties require a clean off tumbling..extra effort which detracts from their value..time lost etc...So a fresh Q is worth MORE than a dirty Q Coinstar specimen!

Coinstars here take an 11% nick! So 4 dirty Q's are are only worth 89 cents! You just lost a dmaned dime and a penny! Plus, all the back side expenses on the clean up gear!

An Old dirty Q, a guy has to perform additional effort with the proper tumbling machinery, grit and surfactants...Bents and mower strikes need a flattening procedure employed to make them Coinstar viable...possibly a file even, again, more effort, skill and expense...

So a guy has to figure all of this in while hunting clad for Pay!...A Q isnt necessarily worth 25 cents!:laughing: Still, if you are a clad hunter and pull enough volumn...it all works itself out eventually..Thats what pennies are for..to cover the Coinstar fee....

I turn all the clad into folding cash. As Mud Puppy says, it takes time to clean all the coins, but when it's butt deep snow or pouring rain, I don't mind the work.
All the folding cash goes into a 'bug-out' fund, $1100 the past two years. The incidental silver and gold just sits there...everything the wife doesn't want, but it adds up to another $900 scrap value. Somehow having a little cash to grab is reassuring.
Though I have to admit, Mud Puppy's idea of buying silver with clad returns is more tempting everyday.

I tumbled last years clad recently to clean it. Then my daughters and I put it into coin wrappers and I have it sitting in a box. Trying to figure out what to buy.

I might hold onto it and keep it for a few years and just add to it to buy something big.

Back
Top Bottom