Fried 2 Fisher 1266X please help

pvtcook

Hello new here to the forum but Im in deep dodo. I borrowed a friends 1266x for my son to use trying to get him interested in the hobby. I proceeded to install new batteries. When I turned it on, it beeped and then smoke came out of it. I panicked and turned it off quickly. My first thought was that I had installed the batteries wrong. However, the owners manual says if the batteries are installed incorrectly, that it will not hurt the machine but it will not come on. I took it back to my friends house, where he had another detector. We installed the batteries according to the manual, turned it on, and it did the same thing. I am using Energizer Max AA batteries. I checked the voltage on each battery, 1.52 volts. What could be happening to cause this? I pulled the internals out of one, and found 2 little diode things that were burnt. I don't understand what's going on. Please help.

Dee Cook

Not familiar with Fisher but I don't see it being anything you caused. Like you said, even if the batteries were put in wrong, it just wouldn't work. Not a clue as to what's happening but it's a perfect example of why I don't borrow or lend 'stuff'. "It happens".
Good luck but I think a call to Fisher is in order. See if they know of anything failing.

Yeah it's so weird. What are the chances of it happening to two different detectors? The good thing about it is that he's not at all upset. I still really feel bad. He said it could/would have happen to him too that it wasn't anything that I did wrong but I still feel really bad. I'll try to talk to a tech at Fisher tomorrow.

Fisher's batteries

Fisher says to only use alkaline batteries in the owners manual. I hope the batteries you used were the right ones. :shock:

Did you use the same batteries in both
detectors or were they different batteries?

I had a bad battery fry a cordless drill on me before.

Yeah I used energizer max alkaline batteries. I check the voltage on all 8 and they were all from 1.514-1.521 volts. I even took the batteries from the plAstic holders of one unit and swapped them to the other one. You can put batteries in and turn the unit on and in about 2 seconds that little resistor/ diode thingy will turn red and start to smoke. It looks like C501 is written beside the little smoker.

Got me worried... I just got a new set of Energizer Max 9V for the F2.... Scared to put them in it...lol:shock::lol:

I have an F2 and I have installed batteries in the wrong direction... Nothing bad happens. It may fire up with one mis aligned battery and one correct battery but will go ape-$hit and such.... There is no way putting the batteries in incorrectly was the cause for the machine to smoke...unless you used 240vAC or a car battery to turn on the machine.... It may just be a defective unit

I have been using two 1266's for about 18 years now as my only machines. In all those years, upon occasion, I have put batteries in wrong and never have had a problem. Like the man said - better give Fisher a call.

An aside note - the 1265 & 66 are not easy to learn. Once learned they are the best. It is a bad choice to have your son start out with one.

Good luck, Steve in so az

Ok guys update. Out of curiosity. I put eight new batteries in unit 2 and it is working fine. The C501 thingy was not burnt very bad at all on it. However when i put eight new ones in unit one it isn't acting right but it isn't smoking. The C501 thingy is burnt pretty bad on it. It has to be a bad battery. I don't know how to check them because the voltage is right on them. I rechecked them all. I kept the eight separate I think I will contact energizer. The batteries were a 40 pack that I bought at SAMs. Anyone heard of a battery doing this? I do know that the batteries would become warm rather quick when I would turn the machine on.

Ok guys I talked to Daniel @ Fisher and he told me that apparently there was a bad battery in the bunch. He said that C501 was some kind of capacitor that was linked to noise reduction and the machines would work fine without that particular one. Which is true tried them both today and they worked fine. I think I will send the batteries to Energizer and see what they have to say.
Dee

Ok guys I talked to Daniel @ Fisher and he told me that apparently there was a bad battery in the bunch. He said that C501 was some kind of capacitor that was linked to noise reduction and the machines would work fine without that particular one. Which is true tried them both today and they worked fine. I think I will send the batteries to Energizer and see what they have to say.
Dee

have any cheap flashlights or electronics devices to try those batteries in? See if they fry those also. Tell Enegizer it ruined 2 Fisher F75 LTD's, maybe they will get you new ones. :D

Did you use the same batteries in both
detectors or were they different batteries?

I had a bad battery fry a cordless drill on me before.

You would never expect a brand new battery to
be a problem, but it can happen.

I smoked two drills before I figured that one out too.
I'm glad that both detectors are working though.
I wasn't so lucky with the drills.

Most electronics do not work right once you let the smoke out :D

Been repairing computers and electronic equipment for 25 years now and I tell you it's never a dull moment with all the weird crap. I'd document the situation very well, by taking pictures of both fried Fishers and the batteries, then send Energizer a "nice" letter about how their product damaged your goods. You never know but worth a shot.

I bought a pack of new rayovac alkaline batters and had problems. I checked them with a battery tester and all were normal except one. It read 1.7 on the meter.

I contacted Energizer today and they were very understanding when I explained to them what happen. They want me to send them the batteries and the battery holders. They said if it was a problem with the batteries that they would take care of me.
Dee
PS and I didn't tell them that they were F75 units !! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom