What's a good detector for a beginner?

jessntony08

I want to get a metal detector for my husband for fathers day. What is a good one for a beginner? I was thinking about getting the bounty hunter challenger. Any thoughts on this machine or a machine that may be better?

My price range is from $100-$200.

Thank you!

Might try a Tesoro Compadre.....$160......teaches you the tones to detect by, built like a Mac Truck and comes with a lifetime warranty.......many experienced MD'ers use them as a back up detector.....

Dusty

Garrett 150 or 250, Tesoro Compadre, or Fisher F2. I like the Fisher F2 in that price range but everyone has their likes and dislikes, your best bet is to compare the 3 of them and see which looks most appealing to you.

Might try a Tesoro Compadre.....$160......teaches you the tones to detect by, built like a Mac Truck and comes with a lifetime warranty.......many experienced MD'ers use them as a back up detector.....

Dusty

I agree!! :thumbsup: You can contact one of our sponsors and they will be glad to help you out and make your hubby's Fathers Day great!

This sounds good. How is it on the beach? Also does it pick up precious metal?

Dry sand is fine. I hear its bad in wet sand but its common problem not the comparde's fault.

And i hear its superb at getting the strongest signals on the smallest pieces of gold.

If you are not hunting for tiny gold, then the detector I have...the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is quite good, economical on a beginners budget and a coin magnet.

Look at my numbers and totals, all for only 3 1/2 months of detecting! :yes:

Nothing against any of the other detectors mentioned...only know about my own. It is also very light weight, and only uses 2 9V batteries...averaging around 20 hours per set.

Back
Top Bottom