DIY Bounty Hunter Tracker IV into junior detector

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
One of my daughters likes to metal detect with me around the yard, but I didn't want to buy a toy and my old Bounty Hunter Tracker IV was too heavy and long for her to swing steadily for any length of time. She wants to find and recover her own targets and not just pinpoint and recover what I locate. So, I haven't taken her on any "away" hunts.

Instead, it occurred to me to not only shorten the Bounty Hunter, but also get the weight of the control box off of the shaft. There's nothing of value to be seen on the control panel anyway. I surprised her this morning with the modified detector before going on a hunt today at a friend's 1890s house. She then promptly kicked my butt as far as oldest coin of the day. She took home an 1889 Indian Head cent, plus a 1917 wheat penny, and a 1971 Lincoln penny. Nearly 100 years of penny history.

Here's what I did....

1. Remove control box.

2. Remove arm cuff, drill new holes closer to grip. Replace arm cuff. Arm cuff will now fit properly on forearm instead of above elbow.

3. Separate shaft.

4. Pop out the metal button from inside the end of the coil side of the shaft. A dental tool works well for this. Remember which way the button slides into the shaft. As needed for height, saw off coil side of shaft and drill new hole for metal button. I took off about 8-10 inches. Reinstall button. I have it on the shortest setting now, so it can lengthen to grow with her.

4. (You could skip this step and find a small shoulder bag or backpack and cut a hole in the bottom for the cord to come out.) Carefully drill two small holes for two short small screws on each side of the control box about 2 inches from the control face. I made the assumption nothing would be up against the the control box at that location on the inside. I was right. I was also careful not to let the drill bit go deep into the box. I took a piece of nylon webbing with a shoulder pad, cut it to length, and poked a hole on each end. I put a small screw through a washer, through the webbing, and into the control box.

The result is extremely lightweight and now she isn't frustrated struggling with the detector.

If you have any questions, just let me know. Have fun!

Attachments

• modified Bounty Hunter Tracker iv.jpg
    modified Bounty Hunter Tracker iv.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 689
  • indian head .jpg
    indian head .jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 674
Well, I would like to say job well done there dad. Fantastic job in making that easier for her to use. Great parenting and great ingenuity.

With a smile like that, I bet she will increase your permissions tremendously. Another benefit, you can upgrade your detector and pass your old one down as she grows, not to mention all that bonding, lifetime memories stuff.
Great job, Dad. Happy Hunting

Great information. I have a grandson interested in metal detecting he is 7. I will have to do that to the Bounty Hunter I have.

Hey that is really awesome. Nice work. What a great thing to do as well, now you got a junior detectorist on your hands to compete with. I love it.

This was an awesome custom job! The shoulder bag idea would have been good too. Great report on the IH, wheat, and '70s penny digs! Also, from the look on her face, you can tell she likes it! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom