Coin Pics Attached! Walker and Washington were Strolling on Beach

Buellride

Forum Supporter
Sorry sports fans but my silvers were so blackened I immediately put them into a baking soda and tin foil bath to get some of their original "shine" back on them. So no pics right now.

Great time on the beach with CruiserKev, not much loose sand just cobble stones and a little sand in between made for some "higher difficulty" scooping but we loved it all the same because finally after so many hunts (land and water) we both scored on the silver coinage.

Mrs. Walker was strolling down the beach and I picked her up with wiggle and a gentle scoop but Mr. Washington was a little more difficult, I had to pry him away from some "iron" grip that was stuck to him like glue.

Both are like CruiserKev's silvers, blackened but my Washington has iron welded around a portion of the coin (front and back). Luckily I can still read the dates (but not the mint marks yet). The Walker is a 1934 and the Washington is 1942. Also got a 1947 Wheatie in the mix.

I will repost pictures of the Walker/Washington couple after their "bath".

Total haul (including silvers) was $2.47 (.75 cents of that were the silvers).

HH all.

UPDATE! So it took 3 attempts but I was able to get the Walker "cleaner" with the baking soda/foil method. The Washington is basically ruined by the iron "welded" on the silver. Would love some recommendations on how to remove that iron from the coin.

Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• Puget Sound Pic No MD smaller.jpg
    Puget Sound Pic No MD smaller.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 488
  • Puget Sound Pic smaller.jpg
    Puget Sound Pic smaller.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 468
  • Walker Half back 6_1.jpg
    Walker Half back 6_1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 499
  • 1942s quarter front.jpg
    1942s quarter front.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 446
  • 1942s quarter back.jpg
    1942s quarter back.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Walker Half front 6_1.jpg
    Walker Half front 6_1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Sure was a fun hunt, we finally broke the silver coin curse and each got a couple! :grin:
Congrats again on your nice 75 cents. :thumbsup:

Nice job :) I usually tap the cruddy coins with a hammer to knock some stuff loose. Not saying that would be best for soft silver but....

Maybe try really hot peroxide?

congrats on some big silver:D

TY, incredibly my second Walker in 2 months

Nice job :) I usually tap the cruddy coins with a hammer to knock some stuff loose. Not saying that would be best for soft silver but....

Maybe try really hot peroxide?

Thanks, peroxide and silver I thought wasn't a good mix, but they are already black

Man that’s just SWEET!!!! Nice to see some silver finde on the west coast.

Congrats!

There is more out there :D

Grats on the walker!

TY

Clean or shinny, they are the real deal...congrats!

Now to find a Barber Half

I always love seeing old silver, specially when they are the Big guys! Nice Saves!!

Put the coins in just enough water to cover them and throw them in the freezer.

Once frozen, take them out and pour some HOT water on them.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

This takes a long time but it works. The water gets into the junk and freezes and when hit with the hot water expands quickly and pushes tiny pieces of the junk off the coin. You'll see little pieces of junk floating in the water every time. I've had a lot of success with ocean silver with this but it will take a long time.

Good luck.

I always love seeing old silver, specially when they are the Big guys! Nice Saves!!

TY Sir

^^^ what he said. There's really no numismatic value so...

R5

Yea, I will try a blunted toothpick for a bit.

On the silver Paul, nice stroll for sure, Earl

There is more...;)

Put the coins in just enough water to cover them and throw them in the freezer.

Once frozen, take them out and pour some HOT water on them.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

This takes a long time but it works. The water gets into the junk and freezes and when hit with the hot water expands quickly and pushes tiny pieces of the junk off the coin. You'll see little pieces of junk floating in the water every time. I've had a lot of success with ocean silver with this but it will take a long time.

Good luck.

Interesting...may need to try that in the future.

Old Beach Silver...Love it!!

Thank you Ron!!

Wow! Some really cool coins right there. I'd love to find some old Americana, but being in FL....probably not much chance.

Back
Top Bottom