Depth Problem with NEL Storm

Dorange

Hey guys, bought a storm for my at pro 4 or 5 months ago. Hooked it up did a factory reset, put on pro zero with no discrimination, ground balanced on mid sensitivity, turned sensitivity back up & backed off 1 notch I think to quiet it down. Did everything that I read about to set it up for max depth. Buried a silver dime at 7" & nothing. Wouldn't even beep low on it. Called the place I bought it from & they told me that buried coins won't pick up as good as coins that have been in the ground a while. Ok well I already knew that & went on with life & detecting. Months later hear I am with no deep coins or other deep goodies to speak of. Been home sick all day so watched a few videos, one being the Hoover boys where he did a depth air & ground test on the storm verses the stock coil. After that I did some air tests with my 5x8, stock & storm. On all three I reset, put on pro zero & did a manual ground balance of 80. No difference at all with all 3 coils. A silver dime hit at 6" on the small, stock & storm. Silver quarter at 7"
& walking Liberty half at 8". The storm in the video hit a silver dime at 9" air & around 8" buried in the ground. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think I ever introduced myself. My apologies. Hello from beautiful Bedford, Va

if your soil is like mine here in PA, don't expect an AT Pro with a storm coil to hit a 7 inch dime. My test dime was 6.5 inches and it would barely hit it if you swung the dead center of the coil over its exact location. I bought a Deus and it slammed it in basic 1 program. If you have mineralized soil you can expect less depth period but dimes are the worst because of their size.

The soil here varies but generally not to bad. The thing that's got me stumped is why the air test had the results on all three coils. Maybe my detector has a flaw.

Meant to say the same results

If you're air testing at those depths with all those coils then something is wrong. Should be getting much better depth.

Thx Rock. I'll call Garrett tomorrow & see what they say. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

The coil has an at pro sticker on it between the mounting ears. Still could have got the wrong sticker slapped on it at the factory. Is there any way to tell besides the connection?
Thx Wood

Did you scan the spot of ground before you buried the coin to make sure it was clean? If yes, then likely either loose/dirty/frayed connections, EMI interference, dirt in coil cover, bad coil, bad detector box or soil conditions too hard for AT Pro.

Yes the spot of ground was clean. Connections are tight & appear to be free of frays. Coil cover is clean & free of debri. Emi is low at my house where the test was done. Soil conditions are fine. Been doing well with the 5x8. Thx,
I'll update when I get it figured out

If it says at pro I guess it could be right..I know I’ve read tho where people were shipped the wrong coil and had results like yours..maybe google ( at pro coil and at gold coil interchange) somthing might pop up

Looks like the stock & 5x8 are made for the at series(not sure about the max) prolly referring to the pro & gold. Couldn't find anything on the NEL coils whether interchangeable or not.

Looks like the stock & 5x8 are made for the at series(not sure about the max) prolly referring to the pro & gold. Couldn't find anything on the NEL coils whether interchangeable or not.

No,nel coils are not interchangeable between the at gold and the at pro,I’m sure of that ,at least the bigger nel coils aren’t.they make them specific for the at gold,and the at pro.

Back
Top Bottom