Diving with the Equinox 800 Today. Not Happy

Tony has been in contact with me and is making me a new pair with some modifications.

I will be selling these. My cost including shipping was 164.00. I will sell them for that much and eat shipping to the first person that really wants them.

GREAT for wading. Not loud enough for me for diving. if you are a wader you will be as happy as a pig in mud. Only used three times. Twice wading and once diving.

What brand are they? Are they wired or wireless? I'm broke from buying my 600, but will eventually get wired waterproof headphones. Just trying to keep track of reviews on Nox headphones.

What brand are they? Are they wired or wireless? I'm broke from buying my 600, but will eventually get wired waterproof headphones. Just trying to keep track of reviews on Nox headphones.

Tony Eisenhower's wired and water proof. I would say better then the stock yellows.

Here is something that may work down the road, cable will need to be much longer since the Nox's plug is on the front. This you just slip under your dive Hood.

Attachments

• DSC_9215 (3).jpg
    DSC_9215 (3).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 407
I m going to correct myself LOL
I change a few wires around and they are working great with a nice sound now.

I test wired my old set of grey ghost Amphibians from my CTX and they don't sound like they have any bass at all and that is with the VOL at 25.
I guess you would describe it as Tinny sounding.
Have to see what others say about the minelab set coming out.

Obn

Sound's like we could have a need for OBN's Equinox- Skullies howboutit , higher pitch so Scuba can here under water :?: How long before the development of the perfect OBN - Equinox end connector with skulles Joe :?: Make me #1 on the 1st batch, even though i will probably never go past neck deep :lol:

I have been talking to Tony. First he is a stand up guy and is willing to help in anyway he can. I might have to send them back to be modified.

I want everyone to know he really stands behind his product. I will keep you posted as to what the outcome is. I am very content with his service.

I have a set of Tony phones and another on the way. I just stick to shallow wading so they will be great for me.

What size of piezo are in the Tony phones? Would a bigger piezo help? Do you think it is a matter of getting the right phones for deep diving or do you think it maybe a detector issue with not enough amplification?

Scuba, I ordered a nuttall scoop for river and creek hunting. The creeks and rivers are pretty clear around here and the bottoms are mostly loose gravel. There are places with sand and other places with big rocks and hard bottoms. I think I can use a scoop for at least half of the time. Other times will be just fanning and scratching. Do you put any bright tape on your coil to help see it in the water? If so, what do you use?

Seeing the stuff you find in the water inspires me to get busy in the creeks and rivers. I won't find near the volume of stuff you do but I hope to find enough to make it worth the time and investment.

I have a set of Tony phones and another on the way. I just stick to shallow wading so they will be great for me.

What size of piezo are in the Tony phones? Would a bigger piezo help? Do you think it is a matter of getting the right phones for deep diving or do you think it maybe a detector issue with not enough amplification?

Scuba, I ordered a nuttall scoop for river and creek hunting. The creeks and rivers are pretty clear around here and the bottoms are mostly loose gravel. There are places with sand and other places with big rocks and hard bottoms. I think I can use a scoop for at least half of the time. Other times will be just fanning and scratching. Do you put any bright tape on your coil to help see it in the water? If so, what do you use?

Seeing the stuff you find in the water inspires me to get busy in the creeks and rivers. I won't find near the volume of stuff you do but I hope to find enough to make it worth the time and investment.

Tony is using different sound boards in the new ones he is sending me. No idea the size of the speakers. I am his first customer that is not satisfied and I understand not many dive. Also those that do probably do not have a hearing loss.

I missed a call from Minelab yesterday. Hopefully they can tweak the volume. I will call them back Monday. Since the volume is also at its max while I wade, I am positive the machine is part of the problem.

I have a white coil cover on my CZ-20. My friend Kevin put white finger nail polish on the spot where the target beeps on his CZ-21. I have not altered my cz-21's, Tiger Sharks, Dual Field or Equinox. I have been doing this so long I know where my coil is.

The ONLY reason I find a lot of stuff is I am able to go where others can't and where people swim constantly or have swum for years.

Snorkeling with Tony's phones went OK but it was a bit difficult to hear the low tones. In my opinion, the cz is probably 3x louder underwater. Tony's phones are sturdy, comfy, block out the noise, and have a nicer cord than the standard phones though.

Snorkeling with Tony's phones went OK but it was a bit difficult to hear the low tones. In my opinion, the cz is probably 3x louder underwater. Tony's phones are sturdy, comfy, block out the noise, and have a nicer cord than the standard phones though.

I read a review by someone on the New stock yellows, low audio on the Nox.

I read a review by someone on the New stock yellows, low audio on the Nox.

Interesting, thanks. Would be good if minelab could do something in the software to improve, but the onboard stuff might be at its limits.

Guess we should be seeing a consensus from users in time. I'm satisfied and capable with Tony's as is, happy he was able to push out quality stuff in Minelab's lack.

Volume and headphone choice have been issues for some time now on quite a few detector models. Minelab Yellow headphones going back to the Excal were made for Mellon heads and punished the ears with crappy padding. GG headphones lacked volume on the CTX and were actually just as bad on Excal replacement mods. Propriatory plugs made for detectors are a money making scam. Sure some talented people out there can build their own, but most of us just can't do it. I wonder all the time why detector companies fail to listen to their customers and keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

Volume and headphone choice have been issues for some time now on quite a few detector models. Minelab Yellow headphones going back to the Excal were made for Mellon heads and punished the ears with crappy padding. GG headphones lacked volume on the CTX and were actually just as bad on Excal replacement mods. Propriatory plugs made for detectors are a money making scam. Sure some talented people out there can build their own, but most of us just can't do it. I wonder all the time why detector companies fail to listen to their customers and keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

It would be nice to see a standardized waterproof plug across all manufacturers so one wouldn't have to buy 20 different sets of headphones. Even within the same brand like minelab, they can't seem to make just one waterproof plug. I have a ctx and bought a set of waterproof phones but had to buy another set for the equinox due to a different plug. I don't like using no more adapters than necessary because you are asking for more problems with leaks or bad connections.

Even if one builds their own, it still isn't cheap. You would have to build several sets to make it worth the while.

I thought about building my own and use a waterproof connector at the headphone cup so that I could just swap out cables with different ends for different detectors. The dad blame connectors are so expensive, one would have 20 to 50 bucks just in the cable.

It would be nice to see a standardized waterproof plug across all manufacturers so one wouldn't have to buy 20 different sets of headphones. Even within the same brand like minelab, they can't seem to make just one waterproof plug. I have a ctx and bought a set of waterproof phones but had to buy another set for the equinox due to a different plug. I don't like using no more adapters than necessary because you are asking for more problems with leaks or bad connections.

Even if one builds their own, it still isn't cheap. You would have to build several sets to make it worth the while.

I thought about building my own and use a waterproof connector at the headphone cup so that I could just swap out cables with different ends for different detectors. The dad blame connectors are so expensive, one would have 20 to 50 bucks just in the cable.

The same problem with laptops when they first came out. No memory fit any other brand, no displays, nothing. The only interchangeable part was the hard drive. They still do not have a standard AC adapter and even the same company uses different connections. I know that is because of voltage differences but you are right. NO company is going to standardize the headphone jack. They want MONEY and find a way to make it. Plain and simple.

If folks don't think greed is driving companies they are wrong. They do not want you to be able to use something you already might have. Since the CTX connector is proven to them, can anyone give me another reason why the Nox connection is different?

And then we have the hard wired ones. So folks can't change anything. Supposedly to protect the machine so the user can't make a mistake and maybe not tighten the connector. Possibility. That is what they tell you.

They also tell you not to hip mount the control box while diving. I have been doing that for 15 years.

You might have that much into just the cable but speakers are only a couple of dollars each. You should be able to make a pair for way under the 150.00 going rate.

I'm glad these reviews are coming through. I think I'll continue to wait before getting one. Another thing that concerns me is that minelab just seems to be replacing detectors (nox) instead of repairing. Are they just going to be "disposable" after 3 years?
Thanks for the reviews Scuba.

Back
Top Bottom