Advice: My first detector, "Going to get Hooked!

Historyisme

Hello all,
My name is Patrick I am 12 and have been collecting military antiques for a year now, I have other antiques as-well like my great (possibly great great) grandfathers silver pocket watch and my bag of old Irish coins, lighters and all thoes small biginner antiques :).
I was visiting Dublin with my dad and I met my dads friend who I learned has a metal detector and goes to beaches and parks and public places and finds all sorts of items. I thought it was in Ireland that it was against the law to metal detect at all. He said some-time when I am in Dublin I can go with him Metal detecting.
The point is, I am looking for advice on getting my first detector. what I want is something at the top-Price of 200E that can give me an O.K estimate on the size and depth of the item, It has to work on beaches and river beds as-well.
thanks for reading and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

cheers,
-Patrick Lewis.

200E = 300 USD?

I would say look at the

garrett ACE 150/250/350 (three different machines)
Tesoro Compadre
Fisher F2

I highly recommend getting a Garrett Propointer with your detector, it makes detecting so much easier. so those are about 120 USD.

here is a good thread with a similar question to what you are asking..
http://http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=81319&page=2

Good Luck and Happy hunting!@!

I can ONLY, personally, talk about the Garrett ACE150/25/350 models since that is ALL I own right now. Anyways, here are the differences:

ACE150: about $152 (U.S. currency)
freq: 6.5kHz
coil: 6.5x9 coil
mode(s): 3 (all metal, jewelry, coins)
iron disc segments: 1
sensitivity/depth: 4
target cursor id segments: 5
acc/reject: NO
pinpointing: NO

ACE250: about $212 (U.S. currency)
freq: 6.5kHz
coil: 6.5x9 coil
mode(s): 5 (all metal, jewelry, coins, relic, custom)
iron disc segments: 2
sensitivity/depth: 8
target cursor id segments: 12
acc/reject: YES
pinpointing: YES

ACE350: about $297 (U.S. currency)
freq: 8.25kHz
coil: 8.5x11 DD coil
mode(s): 5 (all metal, jewelry, coins, relic, custom)
iron disc segments: 4
sensitivity/depth: 8
target cursor id segments: 12
acc/reject: YES
pinpointing: YES

I personally have ALL 3, but REALLY there is NO real difference between the 250 and 350... other than the coil. Thus, if you were to get the 250 and upgrade the coil to a DD then you basically bought a 350 with SLIGHTLY less features. IF YOU CAN, I would just go ahead and get the 350, but the 250 is pretty much just as good. Now the Tesoro buffs on this forum might steer you towards the Compadre, which has better freq (BY FAR), but NO "display"... if you will. For now that's all I can put down as I have to get back to work. I'll let the Tesoro animals tell you more about that machine, which I eventually am going to get myself. Anyways, be back on later tonight... HH \_

Welcome and a Rocky Mountain "HI" from Colorado!! You might want to consider a machine with manual and/or automatic ground balance depending on the types of soil there.....

Dusty

I think the Fisher F2 seems to be the best option.
Has anywon had any experiance with the fisher F2??
if so can you give me some feed-back :grin:

cheers,
-Patrick

lol it seems I been posting this at least once a day, My son has the f2 and loves it, he is 25 and he would dig more quarters than I did with my etrac.

I think the Fisher F2 seems to be the best option.
Has anywon had any experiance with the fisher F2??
if so can you give me some feed-back :grin:

cheers,
-Patrick

Hi Patrick and welcome to the forum.

You can use the Search button to find information or try this link
<http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930>

Follow that link for a LOT of F2 tips as well.

Happy Hunting

Wayne

Its between the ace 250 and the fisher f2.
the 250 seems to be the best option, just have to get some more $$$:money: before I get one.

cheers,
-Patrick

Keep putting the $$ aside......

Before you know it you'll be able to step up to the next model ! Happened to me. Kept looking and saving and had an "extra" $800 to spend. Money very well spent !
Good luck and don't be too eager to spend.
Marty

Back
Top Bottom