$4.99 Sovereign GT Hip Mount Bag

Stunmi

Elite Member
Can't say I thought of this myself, I found it via a search but thought I would share pictures.

2 Quart canteen bag from Army surplus store- $4.99

Center of bag bottom is already marked with a grommet.

This material is VERY tough to cut. I stuck a short piece of 2x4 in the vise, and set the bag over it. Used a new blade in utility knife to cut the hole larger. Even though I first melted the edges of the nylon with a soldering iron, I felt better by running a bead of 5 minute epoxy around it to prevent fraying.

That's it, I now will look into weatherproof switch protector boots since the unit's face is now horizontal and possible moisture on fingers could drip on them.

Attachments

• canteen1.JPG
    canteen1.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 722
  • canteen2.JPG
    canteen2.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 630
  • canteen3.JPG
    canteen3.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 622
  • canteen4.JPG
    canteen4.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 610
  • canteen5.JPG
    canteen5.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 633
Great looking bag there Stunmi. I did about the same thing. I went to a army surplus store and bought a canteen bag as well. Works great, I have been using mine for about 2 years now.

you may have been able to take to grommet out and then re grommet it for a bigger hole and that would keep it from fraying

you may have been able to take to grommet out and then re grommet it for a bigger hole and that would keep it from fraying

I actually thought about that but- There is not enough room to clamp even the thickness of the bag between the cable nut and the box, therefore the cable nut would have to go through the grommet. Nut is fairly good size, larger than a typical tent or tarp grommet. Have no idea where one would buy a giant grommet, and then the needed tool or machine one... Plus, wanted to get it done in order to use it that weekend.

Back
Top Bottom