How old is a detector?

cavhom

Hello-
I have been looking at buying a used White's MXT or X-terra 70 detector. I am on the fence between the two but from all the research I have done, I suspect I will enjoy either one. I think the better deal will decide which one I buy.
I have located a few used ones that are said to only be a few years old- My questions is: how does one tell the age of the detector? Serial number, is the manual dated, design, etc...? I would hate to find out the MXT or 70 was actually 5 years old when the seller thought it was only 2.
Any advice is appreciated.
Trey

I don't think it matters how old a detector is...if it is in good physical shape and works should be the deciding factor IMHO.

The MXT has been in production about 5 years. If you open the battery compartment lid, there is a serial number on the little white tag stuck on the door. The last three digits represent the order in which it was produced. For example: my Vision's last three are 016...meaning it was the 16th one off the actual production line.

Don't know about the Minelabs though.

The X-terra 70 has only been out for 3 years maybe...They just upgraded the x-terra series this year ,the 70 is now the 705.Both are great machines.I use mminlab myself so i tend to go for the X-terra,it will do great on small gold too if u have gold in your area.Both are good machines tho so good luck with your choice.Id read thru some forums,watch some vids on youtube or mlotv.com and then make a choice.

Not sure if it is the same on the MXT, but I know on the White's Eagle Spectrum the first number in the serial number is the date it was manufactured.

I agree with lowjiber about the age and condition. I recently aquired a Garrett groundhog made in 1981. I just got it up and running (new battery tray) and seems to be performing perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom