No exciting finds, but my first wet beach hunt :)

Mike (CA)

Forum Supporter
Spent a few hours today hunting a small section of coast and had a blast.

No crazy finds, but I thoroughly enjoyed my outing as it was a first for me AND I haven't detected in a few months. Scoff! I know, months!

I was using a plastic hand scoop (Scoff #2) as it was available, but I had a great time. I ordered a fancy scoop for when I get back (ordered just before seeing Tom's nice minimalist and fast design, and other brand dramas, but wha'cha gonna do).

I was using a Deus without any water kit/cable, so I had to stop and wait for each of the waves to recede every few steps (I won't be leaving my coax cable behind again!). I'm sure I looked like a crazy person as I spent 2/3 of any given timeframe standing in ankle to knee deep water not moving or swinging. Just holding my detector above the water and looking down. No wonder no one bothered me!

The coin line was down there, I was not at full low tide, and the tide there only swings a few feet total anyway. At least right now.

My first target of the day was my highest valued coin of the hunt (5 Pesos!) followed quickly by a bobby pin. Couldn't have been happier for that start ( ok, I could have been happier, but I was glad it was a coin!)

The beach had lots of small rocks and none of the targets were terribly deep (that I heard anyway). The key was the deepest target for me, at maybe 5". I kept having to stop and remove rocks from my sandals and I can definatley see barefoot or dive boots being nice if the beach isn't too hazardous.

Tried the dry sand for a minute at the end, but only found bottle caps.

I thoroughly enjoyed the wet though. Need to cover my face better. Definitely got burnt a bit even with sunblock and a t-shirt under my hat. I'll do a face wrap next time I think to protect from the reflection off the water.

Nothing fancy, but it was a first for me and maybe the winter folks will like seeing some warm water finds :) 2.5 hrs hunt time.

a5bd04f53985a04b7e9f7e65f2ede538.jpg

Way to go on your 1st wet sand hunt. Funny post , standing and staring into the shallows as the waves pass !
Flip flops , just don't work. Your almost better off barefoot. Sometimes I go barefoot to give my feet a break from shoes or booties ( I have all different kinds , some good , some not so)
Gotta be careful for glass that you can't see and bee's that I recently stepped on until it was too late. Best bet is a water shoe that can drain fast like crocs type. Currently I'm wearing some cheap light weight running shoes for water hunting. Gets some sand in there , but most do. They work great. Good luck hunting !

Sounds like you had a fun time out there. I live in Australia so the weather is warming up again, and so I'm looking forward to hitting a few beaches in the summer.

Sounds like you had a fun time out there. I live in Australia so the weather is warming up again, and so I'm looking forward to hitting a few beaches in the summer.

I did. Thanks! Looks to be beautiful down your way. Someday I'll make it over there :) All the best in your outings!

Neat looking!

Thank you!

Way to go on your 1st wet sand hunt. Funny post , standing and staring into the shallows as the waves pass !

Flip flops , just don't work. Your almost better off barefoot. Sometimes I go barefoot to give my feet a break from shoes or booties ( I have all different kinds , some good , some not so)

Gotta be careful for glass that you can't see and bee's that I recently stepped on until it was too late. Best bet is a water shoe that can drain fast like crocs type. Currently I'm wearing some cheap light weight running shoes for water hunting. Gets some sand in there , but most do. They work great. Good luck hunting !

Thank you! It sure was nice. I saw a lot of small fish as I stated down through that lovely water :)

Steeping on bees!? Yowch. My sister did that when we were little. I remember her howling! No fun. I was thinking barefoot, but was a bit afraid of glass as I saw lots of people with bottles. I had HD water sandals (HD thick rubber bottom w/straps all around foot and ankle to hold in place) but the rocks kept making their way in, but not out [emoji15]
I thank you for the input. I think the quick drain approach may be in my future :)

It was a great first experience and I thank you all for your time and comments! hh [emoji846][emoji3548]

Spent a few hours today hunting a small section of coast and had a blast.
Nothing fancy, but it was a first for me and maybe the winter folks will like seeing some warm water finds :) 2.5 hrs hunt time.

That's what it is about....getting out, enjoying the hobby and heck, every once in a while finding something worth while. Until then, you did your job at cleaning the beach and heck, a few coins isn't a total loss. :cool3:

Interesting that "18+" on the Corona tops.

Looks like one of my hunts!
Buy yourself some dive booties, even the low cut slip on ones are better than flip flops, and I would NEVER go barefoot, way too much glass other nasties out there...
Keep it up!

Congrats on a nice, first, beach hunt! :yes: I usually wear dive boots in the wet sand but have occasionally gone barefoot if it's during the day and not too "trashy" of a beach. If wearing dive boots in the surf it helps if you wrap duct tape around the ankles to keep the sand out. ;)

were you hunting a beach in Mexico ?

Yes sir. [emoji1166] I hiked around a bunch inland with my detector in my pack, but was too chicken to detect with my limited language skills and alone, but we made it out to the coast and I was like a starved fiend! I needed to swing the hoop! [emoji2957]

I'm digging your scoop style Tom. I may need to build one. I ordered a fancy, as I was doing the bench racing, I want to hunt but am not thing...but now I've seen your edition and that with a two piece handle would travel better.

ty&hh![emoji3548]

Sounds like your on your way to addiction! :yes:

Ha! I think so OBN! Land hooked me hard, but the water is just a whole new world that opens up as well! I love being int he water anyway, so why not detecting right?! [emoji3] ty&hh [emoji3548]

Congrats on a nice, first, beach hunt! :yes: I usually wear dive boots in the wet sand but have occasionally gone barefoot if it's during the day and not too "trashy" of a beach. If wearing dive boots in the surf it helps if you wrap duct tape around the ankles to keep the sand out. ;)

Nice advice there Compass. Much appreciated (bootie sand seal). [emoji846] ty&hh! [emoji3548]

Looks like one of my hunts!

Buy yourself some dive booties, even the low cut slip on ones are better than flip flops, and I would NEVER go barefoot, way too much glass other nasties out there...

Keep it up!

Thx master Z. Got it. I am in Chacos (Jesus slippers) down here currently, better than flip flops, but booties would be better for sure. I've got some back in the US which will see future excursions. Thank you sir :) and hh[emoji3548]

Interesting that "18+" on the Corona tops.

Ha. It didn't register. Yup :)

Looks like you went all the way to Mexico?

Congrats on having a fun time.:yes:

Yup! Warm water. Who knew?! [emoji2957] ty&hh[emoji3548]

That's what it is about....getting out, enjoying the hobby and heck, every once in a while finding something worth while. Until then, you did your job at cleaning the beach and heck, a few coins isn't a total loss. :cool3:

For sure. It was great and I had fun. What else is there right? :) ty&hh![emoji3548]

Thank you all for the positive feedback and helping me to bask in the glory of a hunt [emoji122][emoji847]

I was using a plastic hand scoop (Scoff #2) as it was available, but I had a great time. I ordered a fancy scoop for when I get back (ordered just before seeing Tom's nice minimalist and fast design, and other brand dramas, but wha'cha gonna do).

Which one is Tom's design? Not sure if I've seen that one.

Nice first water hunt! I go barefoot like the hillbilly I am but I'm amazed I haven't speared myself on a broken bottle yet. There have been some close calls:) Gonna have to switch soon though. My feet were FREEZING before the sun came up on saturday.

Nice first water hunt! I go barefoot like the hillbilly I am but I'm amazed I haven't speared myself on a broken bottle yet. There have been some close calls:) Gonna have to switch soon though. My feet were FREEZING before the sun came up on saturday.
Thank you! I thought barefoot on a nice clean beach could be ok, but you really never know so I'm chicken. But I don't have tough hillbilly feet like my cousin either. City folk feet for sure, which he always laughed at, but I am making efforts to toughen them up :)

Barefoot in your water before sun up?! I bet it was cold! I haven't been in that water without a suit, or in the dark in years. When I was younger I did fairly frequently, but not in some time. That will have to change! [emoji846]

Thank you and Happy hunting!

Last edited:
The water wasn't nearly as bad as the dry sand. Had to be a 10 degree difference! I'm going to have to get some dive booties. I have my wet wading boots in the truck but they are tanks...super heavy and I just can't convince myself to wear them on the beach.

It's gotta be ice cold water for me to wear dive boots , otherwise my feet sweat. Too hot. 2 weeks ago 176 people were stung by stingrays on a Saturday at one local beach.

Back
Top Bottom