Deus (pumping ground balance fail)

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
I have noticed as of late,,,running reactivity 3 or higher settings,,,neither of my Deus units will acquire a pumping ground balance.

Doesn't seem to be freq related,,silencer settings related.

Two complete units,,,coil,,,remote,, a fail here.

I usually don't use pumping ground balance,,,but was doing some test and comparisons and discovered this.

My ground not inert or milder either,,,Fisher F75 reflects 4 bars generally where I tested this,, and the failing resulted.

Just a heads up,,,,would like to hear from some other folks after they try their units.

Also,,,Deus mineralization meter,,,when bobbing coil,,,about half of the mineralization meter filled in.

Last edited:
Yeah the Deus is pretty sensitive. In order for pumping to work the ground needs to be clear.

I have noticed as of late,,,running reactivity 3 or higher settings,,,neither of my Deus units will acquire a pumping ground balance.

Doesn't seem to be freq related,,silencer settings related.

Two complete units,,,coil,,,remote,, a fail here.

I usually don't use pumping ground balance,,,but was doing some test and comparisons and discovered this.

My ground not inert or milder either,,,Fisher F75 reflects 4 bars generally where I tested this,, and the failing resulted.

Just a heads up,,,,would like to hear from some other folks after they try their units.

Also,,,Deus mineralization meter,,,when bobbing coil,,,about half of the mineralization meter filled in.

In the places I was able to ground balance ,with no metal,the machine never ran right.It was falsing like crazy,chattery too.It wasn't the machine being faulty and it wasn't user error.It was the inability to properly ground balance.
This was on 2 different deus machines,even in fields free of debris after Id properly gb,within a few feet to 20 feet the machine would just start high toning false signals .
When I set ground balance to 90 all was good.But in my mind that's just the same as a preset ,it's not a proper g.b.
I know the signum and a few other over the pond machines I've owned had a hard time ground balancing.I had to use ferrite with the signum.And I think a proper g.b. Is needed to get the most out of any machine.
I've googled and read hundreds of posts with this problem,not just the deus but on a lot of foreign machines in American soil have a hard time ground balancing.

Last edited:
Maybe

This is a question the manufacturer could answer , and maybe they have corrected this issue with the 4.0 version, if not , i am sure you will find out the core of the problem. I am interested in the DEUS, I have slimmed down my line of detector's from 11 to 7, because of a new living location soon, so any future detector's would have to be looked at very carefully, thanks for posting this flaw, even though , if it is caused by your ground condition's, those extreme ground condition's will never exist , on my hunting ground's. Thank's

I'm no so sure it's a defect. I think the difference between the Deus and some other machines is the Deus shows you the ground conditions in real time. For example on an ATP you would pump and never know that you are way off 10 feet later because the machine doesn't show ground conditions. That's why people just make it a habit to pump (gb) every 15min or so. Since the Deus shows ground conditions the user is able to tell right away. Personally I have never had my machines false as a result of using the pumping method. I pretty much use the manual method because it allows me to adjust it where I want it based on the conditions. Tracking GB also works fine, but you need to make sure the ground is relatively clean if you go this route. This isn't because the Deus GB is defective, it's a function of ground conditions and what type of target you are hunting for.

a7b390f5c0f8acc77ec8ab6dcc920153.jpg

In another site today,,,took Deus with 9" coil along.

Tried pumping ground balance,,,in several places over clean ground.
Reactivity levels 1,2, and 3 tried.

Reactivity levels 1 and 2 always passed,,no fails.

Reactivity level 3 ,,,,,never passed period.

When pumping go was acquired phase number 74 in window,
Pumping coil showed almost half meter fill on mineralization meter.

I think this is ground mineral related,,,not sure though.

Will try in the woods next,,where soil is real mild and see.

Btw,,this what is happening here,,,is not a show stopper with Deus.

I have made good finds with both of my units,,some deep too.

This is just sow thing I noticed,,,and was wondering about.

I stopped pumping. Instead I start on tracking for a bit, let it grab the setting, then switch to manual. Because at the moment tracking in trashy ground can be a bad thing, null out some good targets. I'm anxious to see what V4 tracking improvements will be specifically.

This info here might help some folks with Deus lite units.

And even the folks who have remotes with their setups,,,may find this interesting.

Even doing a GB while in manual GB setting,,,try this.

For remote owners,,,,,do a pumping ground balance over clean ground using reactivity level 2, disc set to 0

Using that ground phase reading,,,while in manual,,,while over clean ground bob your coil,,,and listen what happens as the coil nears the ground.

You should hear some considerable feedback noise wise.
Next switch to reactivity level 3 and again bob coil,,,lowering to the ground.
You should hear a lot less ground feedback noise or hardly any at all.
Next,,go to reactivity level 4 and repeat,,,,ground noise here should virtually be nonexistent.

So,,what does all this mean from a purely technical aspect??
Not exactly sure,,,but if Deus programming and engineering are correct here,,,with say a pumping ground balance reading,,,with ground phase reading depicted,,,,,there is a chance likely a Deus lite user while using their respective units may suffer from some overall depth performance.

Saying simpler,,,,if Deus lite user,,,,when doing manual ground balance,,,if they are changing their ground setting purely based on getting NO ground feedback noise as coil is lowered or raised from/to the ground,, depending on reactivity setting,,,,chances are an improper manual ground balance setting is being utilized.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom