Beginning research

NEA Farmer

I live in an old town that has long been incorporated into another town. It was the the first town in our county. I was digging for worms to fish with several years ago and found a pitch black area. My father in law brought his detector (an oooolllldd one), and we found three horseshoes. We’re guessing it’s the local blacksmith shop from the 1800s.

I just happened to think of this after detecting around a couple yards in the neighborhood. I’ve looked briefly online for vintage maps or overlays to see where everything might have been back then. Where should I go to find old maps?

Check with your local historical society or library's special collections. Going back to the late 1800s you can look for Sanborn fire insurance maps which give huge amounts of detail for cities.

You can start here. If you do a search on this forum you will find a lot of links to old map places that people have posted.

You just have to check around and depending on your level of research capabilities using the internet a visit to the local county or as someone stated historical society should be a good place to start.

https://www.mapofus.org/arkansas/

Back
Top Bottom