CTX Dead after not more than 12hrs

Maverick

After not more than 12 hours of use my new CTX is dead. On the 3rd SUPER LIGHT DUTY outing with the machine it suddenly decided to power off, start back up, auto ground balanced, cleared the geo store, auto ground balanced again, then powered down. After pushing the power button 5 times it started up with the menu screen but none of the buttons would do anything other than noise cancel. The menu, sensitivity, detect, GPS, all of them acting as the noise cancel button. Then shut itself back down, powered back up and cleared the geo store 2 more times and shut down again. I did about fifteen minutes of this before I bagged it and headed home. This machine is brand new and could not have been taken better care of in the time that I have owned it.

I had reservations when I purchased this machine. But I thought hey, treat it right, use kid gloves, clean it well EVERY time, and it will be OK. WRONG!!! If your are even considering purchasing a CTX 3030 punch yourself in the throat right now (don't actually punch yourself in the throat! geez I was just kidding, sort of).

Nothing leaked. It just went into a death spasm and now won't even turn back on.:mad:

3 year warranty, we'll see. TO BE CONTINUED

ouch... If i'm not mistaken those symptoms sound like an issue max might have had, but i'm not totally sure...

I would demand a New Machine, 12 Hours? That's crazy....

Infant mortality is what you want if you're going to have a problem. The likelihood of you getting another unit that does the same thing is very poor. Yes, it sucks, but at least it's over with!

I would demand a New Machine, 12 Hours? That's crazy....

That's what I'm thinking. I really don't want this particular machine back. Other guys seem to be having no problems with theirs. Hit and miss I guess.

Small insignificant gold lining, FIRST TARGET, 10K cross, probably about 2g. Couldn't believe it. I'm going to give it to my mother in law. I could use some MDing karma

Infant mortality is what you want if you're going to have a problem. The likelihood of you getting another unit that does the same thing is very poor. Yes, it sucks, but at least it's over with!

I was thinking along the same lines. Infant mortality, you hit the nail on the head.

DSCN0854.JPG

Note the vacant dead expression of the CTX 3030...

Is demonic Halloween possession covered in the warranty?

IF it had to happen, I'd rather have it happen like it did to you over what I went through. I had mine for 30 days struggling with it, knowing all the time it just wasn't right no matter what adjustment I made to it... it would false, sensitivity could not go over 14 without falsing with or without Seawater turned on... however it would still hit targets. I just knew it wasn't right and after a few emails and tests, it went back, got a new coil and has been working good since.

I love the machine but like anything that is manmade, (especially computer based) problems can happen.... I've owned or own Tesoro's, Minelabs, Fishers and Garretts and have had to send back to everyone but Garrett. Heck, my CZ21 wouldn't even make a sound right out of the box on day one.... It happens, Minelab will make it right.

Cliff

I hope you got it from minelab cos the chines are making some rip off machines and they aren't worth the junk they're made of..and a $2500 machine is enough for them to scam with, they been selling gold bars that have been hollowed out and filled with tungsten.

I made damn well sure I got my machine from the local supplier, drove there, got it, drove back, other then my 'Gizmo' I haven't ordered anything online even.

Too many rip offs on ebay, unless I know them from here or personally im not touching them

tried reseting the machine?

It won't turn on. Took the battery off. Put it back on. No. Held the power button down for a while. No. It's all the way dead.

But Cliff says Minelab will make it right. I sure hope so. It'll be fine. Really too bad. Just as I was getting the hang of it and becoming effective at interpreting the tones and display, getting the swing speed right (I was and am now again a PI guy). Nailed the little piece of gold right off the bat today and thought "oh yeah, that's what these Minelab guys are talking about when a target sounds good, this machine is starting to grow on me". Not digging iron, excessive pennies and pull tabs was sweeeeet for a change. Alas, back to the trenches with the old PI war hammer...

I hope you got it from minelab cos the chines are making some rip off machines and they aren't worth the junk they're made of..and a $2500 machine is enough for them to scam with, they been selling gold bars that have been hollowed out and filled with tungsten.

I made damn well sure I got my machine from the local supplier, drove there, got it, drove back, other then my 'Gizmo' I haven't ordered anything online even.

Too many rip offs on ebay, unless I know them from here or personally im not touching them

Got mine from Kellyco.

uhmmm weird, tried using the AA battery pack? maybe the rechargable was bad and didn't hold the charge :?:

Did you update the firmware??

The original firmware had that same issue. Since I updated my firmware I have never had an issue.

uhmmm weird, tried using the AA battery pack? maybe the rechargable was bad and didn't hold the charge :?:

One of the first things I tried...Nada.

This thing went absolutely bonkers:grimace:. I kid you not, I looked up to see if I was standing under power lines or a UFO or something.

Did you update the firmware??

The original firmware had that same issue. Since I updated my firmware I have never had an issue.

No I have not updated the firmware. My CTX came with seawater, pinpoint lock, and whatever else is mentioned on the minelab site. The machine went from operating fine and dandy to completely erratic in a millisecond. It won't even power on now. This is a major hardware issue inside the box I think. Machines were going bananas due to outdated firmware?

By the way... come to find out after purchasing a new computer and my CTX, both in the same week, XChange2 does not operate on Windows 8.

It's sitting on the coffee table in the living room. I unplugged the headphones when I got home. When the headphones are unplugged a CTX uses it's built in speaker.

I hear it from down the hall, power on, throw out some tones, squeal, and by the time I get there it's off like nothing happened. Spooky...:shock:

It's sitting on the coffee table in the living room. I unplugged the headphones when I got home. I hear it from down the hall, power on, throw out some tones, and by the time I get there it's off like nothing happened. Spooky...:shock:

Were the batteries out.....:shock::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom